Terezín on Ohře river

Thursday, 15 May 2014 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

City Hall © Sokoljan/cc-by-sa-3.0

City Hall © Sokoljan/cc-by-sa-3.0

Terezín (German: Theresienstadt) is a former military fortress and adjacent walled garrison town in the Ústí nad Labem Region of the Czech Republic. In the late 18th century, the Habsburg Monarchy erected the fortress along the Ohře River, near its confluence with the Elbe River at Litoměřice. It was named Theresienstadt after Empress Maria Theresa. Construction started in 1780 and lasted ten years. The fortress consisted of a citadel, the “Small Fortress” (Kleine Festung), to the east of the Ohře, and a walled town, the “Main Fortress” (Große Festung), to the west. The total area of the fortress was 3.89 km². In peacetime it held 5,655 soldiers, and in wartime around 11,000 soldiers could be placed here. Trenches and low-lying areas around the fortress could be flooded for defensive purposes. Fortress Josefov in eastern Bohemia was built at the same time and had a similar purpose. Together with fortress Terezín, it was intended as protection against attacks from Prussia, but its military importance, like other such fortresses built across Europe, was minimal as decisive battles were often fought elsewhere.

By 1940 Germany assigned the Gestapo to adapt Terezín, better known by the German name Theresienstadt, as a ghetto and concentration camp. Considerable work was done in the next two years to adapt the complex for the dense overcrowding the inmates were subjected to. It held primarily Jews from Czechoslovakia, as well as Jews deported mainly from Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Denmark. Part of the fortification (Small Fortress) served as the largest Gestapo prison in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. It was on the other side of the river from the ghetto and operated separately. After the German surrender the small fortress was used as an internment camp for ethnic Germans. The first prisoners arrived on May 10, 1945. On February 29, 1948 the last German prisoners were released and the camp was officially closed.

City Hall © Sokoljan/cc-by-sa-3.0 Engineers' Barracks © Miaow Miaow Ghetto Museum © Miaow Miaow Hamburg Barracks © Miaow Miaow Mácha Street © Miaow Miaow Theresienstadt concentration camp © Guido Radig/cc-by-3.0
<
>
Theresienstadt concentration camp © Guido Radig/cc-by-3.0
After the war, Theresienstadt was renamed as Terezín. After the related war uses, such as for holding ethnic Germans to be expelled, the government retained a military garrison until 1996. The troops’ departure and closing down of related operations had a negative effect on the local economy of the small town.

Terezín is still trying to develop a more diverse economy; some people think its history can attract heritage tourism. In 2002, the fortress, which was in a deteriorated condition, was listed in the 2002 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund. The organization called for a comprehensive conservation plan, while providing funding from emergency repairs from American Express. In 2002 the city was struck by floods during which the crematorium was damaged. A conservation plan was eventually developed in cooperation with national authorities. According to the Fund, a long-term conservation plan was conceived, which includes further repairs, documentation, and archaeological research.

Read more on City of Terezín, CzechTourism.com – Terezín, Terezín Memorial, Golf Club Terezín and Wikipedia Terezín. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Nottingham and Robin Hood

Nottingham and Robin Hood

[caption id="attachment_160567" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nottingham Montage © PawełMM[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nottingham is a city and unitary authority in the East Midlands of England. It is located in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire and represents one of eight members of the English Core Cities Group. Whilst Nottingham has always had a tightly-drawn boundary (accounting for its relatively small population of 307,000), Nottingham's Urban Area has a population of approximately 806,000; it is the seventh larg...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Uruguay

Theme Week Uruguay

[caption id="attachment_184137" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Punta del Este © Roberto Tietzmann/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Uruguay, officially the Oriental Republic of Uruguay, is a state in the southeastern region of South America. It borders Argentina to its west and Brazil to its north and east, with the Río de la Plata (River of Silver) to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the southeast. Uruguay is home to an estimated 3.44 million people, of whom 1.8 million live in the metropolitan area of its capital and ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Stolobny Island in Lake Seliger

Stolobny Island in Lake Seliger

[caption id="attachment_28212" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nilov Monastery from Lake Seliger © Just/cc0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Stolobny Island is an island on Lake Seliger in the Tver Oblast of Russia, about 10 km (6.2 mi) north of the town of Ostashkov. The island is the home of Nilov Monastery, which was founded by Saint Nilus in 1594, and previously welcomed up to 40,000 pilgrims each year. Most of the buildings of the monastery were built in the 18th and 19th Centuries in a neoclassical style. Today the monastery co...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Chablis in Burgundy

Chablis in Burgundy

[caption id="attachment_153791" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Porte Noël © Daniel CULSAN/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chablis is a town and commune in the Yonne department in Burgundy in north-central France. It lies in the valley of the River Serein and has a population of 2,300 inhabitants. Each year the Festival du Chablisien is held May to June in Chablis, featuring classical, jazz, and world music. Chablis lies about 10 miles (16 km) east of Auxerre, situated in Burgundy's heartland roughly halfway be...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

FLIP, the FLoating Instrument Platform

FLIP, the FLoating Instrument Platform

[caption id="attachment_152256" align="aligncenter" width="590"] FLoating Instrument Platform seen from USNS Navajo © Military Sealift Command[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]RP FLIP (FLoating Instrument Platform) is an open ocean research vessel owned by the Office of Naval Research and operated by the Marine Physical Laboratory of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. The ship is a 355 feet (108 meters) long vessel designed to partially flood and pitch backward 90 degrees, resulting in only the front 55 feet (17 meters) of the v...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Gmunden on Lake Traunsee

Gmunden on Lake Traunsee

[caption id="attachment_161114" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of Gmunden and Ort Castle © Hannesrb[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gmunden is a town in Upper Austria in the district of Gmunden. It has 13,000 inhabitants. It is much frequented as a health and summer resort, and has a variety of goat, lake, brine, vegetable and pine-cone baths, a hydropathic establishment, inhalation chambers, whey cure, etc. It is also an important centre of the salt industry in Salzkammergut. Gmunden covers an area of 63.49 km...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Cuba - Varadero

Theme Week Cuba - Varadero

[caption id="attachment_161605" align="aligncenter" width="590"] La Casa de Al, Al Capone's warhouse during prohibition, today a restaurant © Laslovarga/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Varadero is a resort town in the province of Matanzas, and one of the largest resort areas in the Caribbean. The first mention of Varadero was in 1555. The place was first used as a dry dock (Spanish: varadero) and the salt mines of the peninsula (closed in 1961) supplied most of the Spanish Latin America Fleet since 1587. However, the fou...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Zhongnanhai in Beijing

Zhongnanhai in Beijing

[caption id="attachment_28244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Xinhua Gate, Gate of New China © PENG, Yanan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zhongnanhai is an imperial garden in central Beijing, adjacent to the Forbidden City; it serves as the central headquarters for the Communist Party of China and the State Council (Central government) of the People's Republic of China. The term Zhongnanhai is closely linked with the central government and senior Communist Party officials. It is often used as a metonym for the Chinese...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Dubai Marina at night © Shahroozporia/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Dubai – The Dubai Marina

Dubai Marina is a district in Dubai. Dubai Marina is an artificial canal city, built along a two mile (3...

© Pincerno/cc-by-sa-3.0-de
Neuengamme in the Vierlanden

Neuengamme is a quarter of Hamburg, located in the Bergedorf borough, near the river Dove Elbe (a tributary of the...

Castle Museum at night © Jan Mehlich/cc-by-sa-3.0
Gliwice in Silesia

Gliwice is a city in Upper Silesia, southern Poland, near Katowice. Gliwice is the west district of the Silesian Metropolis...

Schließen