Děčín in the Bohemian Switzerland

6 January 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Děčín Castle © Ondřej Koníček

Děčín Castle © Ondřej Koníček

Děčín is a town in the Ústí nad Labem Region in the north of the Czech Republic. It is the largest town and administrative seat of the Děčín District. From 1938 to 1945 it was one of the municipalities in Sudetenland.   read more…

Glückstadt on the Elbe

21 December 2014 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Inner Harbour © Nightflyer/cc-by-sa-3.0

Inner Harbour © Nightflyer/cc-by-sa-3.0

Glückstadt is a town in the Steinburg district of Schleswig-Holstein. It is located on the right bank of the Lower Elbe at the confluence of the small Rhin river, about 45 km (28 mi) northwest of Altona. Glückstadt is part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region.   read more…

Neuengamme in the Vierlanden

13 May 2014 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Hamburg

© Pincerno/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

© Pincerno/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

Neuengamme is a quarter of Hamburg, located in the Bergedorf borough, near the river Dove Elbe (a tributary of the river Elbe). In this rural quarter, part of the Vierlanden,consisting of the villages Curslack, Kirchwerder, Neuengamme and Altengamme, the population is at 3,500. Neuengamme is located in the southeastern part of Hamburg. In 2007 the quarter had a total area of 18.6 km².   read more…

Altes Land, the largest contiguous fruit-producing region in Central Europe

28 September 2013 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Hamburg

Steinkirchen © Christoph Matthias Siebenborn/cc-by-sa-3.0

Steinkirchen © Christoph Matthias Siebenborn/cc-by-sa-3.0

Altes Land is an area of reclaimed marshland straddling parts of Lower Saxony and Hamburg. The region is situated downstream from Hamburg on the southwestern riverside of the Elbe around the towns of Stade, Buxtehude, Jork and Lühe. In Hamburg it includes the quarters of Neuenfelde, Cranz, Francop and Finkenwerder.   read more…

The Dockland building in Hamburg

1 June 2013 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Hamburg, House of the Month

© Dennis Siebert/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

© Dennis Siebert/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

Like a ship sits the six-story office building on a plot of land, 40 meters out over the river Elbe in Hamburg. It can only be reached by a large staircase on the land side, the board is open to the public, and has on top a nearly 500 square meter wide roof terrace with a good view over the harbor and the northern shoreline. It is also a popular photo opportunity due to its distinctive architecture. The roof terrace is not wheelchair and handicapped accessible because it has no publicly accessible lift.   read more…

Theme Week Dresden – The Zwinger

17 November 2012 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Museums, Exhibitions, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

Dresdner Zwinger © der-dresdner-zwinger.de

Dresdner Zwinger © der-dresdner-zwinger.de

The Zwinger (Der Dresdner Zwinger) is a palace in Dresden built in Rococo style and designed by court architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann. It served as the orangery, exhibition gallery and festival arena of the Dresden Court. The location was formerly part of the Dresden fortress of which the outer wall is conserved. The name derives from the German word Zwinger (outer ward of a concentric castle); it was for the cannons that were placed between the outer wall and the major wall. The Zwinger was not enclosed until the Neoclassical building by Gottfried Semper called the Semper Gallery was built on its northern side.   read more…

The Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm (English Grounds of Wörlitz) in Saxony-Anhalt

27 October 2012 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, UNESCO World Heritage

Wörlitz - Rock island Stein and Villa Hamilton © Matthias Seifert

Wörlitz – Rock island Stein and Villa Hamilton © Matthias Seifert

The DessauWörlitz Garden Realm, also known as the English Grounds of Wörlitz, is one of the first and largest English parks in Germany and continental Europe. It was created in the late 18th century under the regency of Duke Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau (1740-1817), returning from a Grand Tour to Italy, the Netherlands, England, France and Switzerland he had undertaken together with his friend architect Friedrich Wilhelm von Erdmannsdorff. Both strongly influenced by the ideals of The Enlightenment, they aimed to overcome the formal garden concept of the Baroque era in favour of a naturalistic landscape as they had seen at Stourhead Gardens and Ermenonville. Today the cultural landscape of Dessau-Wörlitz encompasses an area of 142 km2 (55 sq mi) within the Middle Elbe Biosphere Reserve in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt.   read more…

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲