Oranienbaum Palace in Saxony-Anhalt

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

Oranienbaum Palace © Michael Sander/cc-by-sa-3.0

Oranienbaum Palace © Michael Sander/cc-by-sa-3.0

Oranienbaum Palace is located in the town of Oranienbaum-Wörlitz in Saxony-Anhalt. It belongs to the Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm. The castle, which is located in the district Oranienbaum, is located east of Dessau-Roßlau, only a few kilometers from the Wörlitzer Park. Oranienbaum Castle is one of four castles named after the House of Orange in Germany. They were built for four sisters, German rulers, who were born to the House of Orange. Besides Oranienbaum there are Oranienstein Palace near Diez and Oranienburg Palace in Oranienburg. The fourth, Oranienhof Palace near Bad Kreuznach, does not exist anymore. The former Dutch Queen Beatrix is patron of the restoration of the castle Oranienbaum. In 2004 and 2012 Beatrix visited Oranienbaum and visited the castle.

From 1681 to about 1685, the castle was initially built in a first phase as a summer residence for the Princess consort Henriette Catharina, wife of Prince Johann Georg II of Anhalt-Dessau and born Princess of Orange-Nassau. The building was commissioned by the Dutch builder Cornelis Ryckwaert, who worked in Brandenburg. Initially, only a palace with cavalier pavilions was built and a 28-acre Baroque garden in Dutch style created. At the same time, Ryckwaert also had the city of Oranienbaum built on a geometric plan. After the death of the prince in 1693 Oranienbaum was rebuilt as a widow’s seat for Princess consort Henriette Catharina to today’s three-winged castle (1698 to about 1702). The rooms were u. a. equipped with precious leather wallpaper. In the basement, the still existing, designed with Dutch Delft tiles, summer dining room has been established.

Oranienbaum © Volker Henze Oranienbaum Palace © Martin8721 Orangery © ArishG/cc-by-sa-3.0 Chinese Tea House © Heinz Fräßdorf/cc-by-sa-4.0 Oranienbaum Palace © Michael Sander/cc-by-sa-3.0 Informationboard © ArishG/cc-by-sa-3.0 Pagode © Jwaller/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Chinese Tea House © Heinz Fräßdorf/cc-by-sa-4.0
After the death of Henriette Catharina in 1708, Oranienbaum Palace was only occasionally used for hunting by the princes of Anhalt-Dessau. Only Prince Leopold Friedrich Franz von Anhalt-Dessau again showed more interest in Oranienbaum Palace. He had the castle and park remodeled after 1780. Numerous rooms received new equipment in the Chinese style. The former baroque island garden was rebuilt from 1793 to 1797 according to the ideas of the English horticulturist Sir William Chambers to the only in Germany largely preserved English-Chinese garden with a five-story pagoda, a garden house (teahouse) accessible from the waterside and several arched bridges. In the southern part of the garden, in 1811, the 175-meter-long Orangery, one of the largest in Europe, was built. Since then, it has been used without interruption to house a large collection of citrus and other rare shrubs.

After the Second World War, the GDR moved a branch office of the State Archives Magdeburg to Oranienbaum Castle in 1953. This field office was upgraded in 1993 to the independent Landesarchiv Oranienbaum. At the beginning of the 21st century, the archive moved to Dessau. The castle was then opened to visitors in 2003. A completion of the restoration work on and in the castle is currently not foreseeable. However, the rooms, which are open to the public, already convey an impression of the former splendor of the castle’s equipment. The ensemble of city, castle and park Oranienbaum, which was built on a geometric ground plan, is today a rare example of a predominantly Dutch baroque complex in Germany. The castle can be visited for an entrance fee. The castle park is freely accessible, the restored pagoda and the tea house are accessible after registration. A café and a coach exhibition are housed in the Orangery. Next to the orangery there is a large garden with citrus trees.

Read more on anhalt-dessau-wittenberg.de – Oranienbaum, gartenreich.com – Schloss Oranienbaum and Wikipedia Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.



Recommended posts:

Villa Hügel in Essen

Villa Hügel in Essen

[caption id="attachment_23866" align="alignleft" width="590"] © Sir James[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Villa Hügel is a mansion in Bredeney (part of the modern city of Essen) in Germany. It belonged to the Krupp family of industrialists and was built by Alfred Krupp in 1873 as a residence. More recently, the Villa Hügel has housed the offices of the Kulturstiftung Ruhr (Ruhr Cultural Foundation) as well as an art gallery and the historical archive of the Krupp family and company. An annex called the Little House (kle...

Jewish Museum in Berlin

Jewish Museum in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_26017" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kollegienhaus, the baroque part of the Jewish Museum © flickr.com - Jess & Peter/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Jewish Museum Berlin (Jüdisches Museum Berlin) is one of the largest Jewish Museums in Europe. In two buildings, one of which is a new addition specifically built for the museum by architect Daniel Libeskind, two millennia of German Jewish history are on display in the permanent exhibition as well as in various changing exhibitions. German-Jewis...

Tartu, the spiritual center of Estonia

Tartu, the spiritual center of Estonia

[caption id="attachment_160868" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall Square with fountain The Kissing Students © Alinozka/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tartu is the second largest city of Estonia, following Estonia's political and financial capital Tallinn, Tartu is often considered the intellectual centre of the country, especially since it is home to the nation's oldest and most renowned university, the University of Tartu. Tartu has been an intellectual centre of both Estonia and Baltic countries for several c...

The three-masted barque Alexander von Humboldt

The three-masted barque Alexander von Humboldt

[caption id="attachment_150739" align="aligncenter" width="590"] All sails set © Winfried Huber[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alexander von Humboldt is a German ship originally built in 1906 by the German shipyard AG Weser at Bremen as Reserve Sonderburg. She was operated throughout the North and Baltic Seas until being retired in 1986. Subsequently she was converted into a three masted barque by the German shipyard Motorwerke Bremerhaven and was re-launched in 1988 as Alexander von Humboldt. Planned and ordered in 1906 as ...

Theme Week Umbria

Theme Week Umbria

[caption id="attachment_153273" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pietralunga © Sauro Bartocci/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Umbria is a region of historic and modern central Italy. It is the only region having neither a coastline nor a common border with other countries; however, the region includes the Lake Trasimeno and is crossed by the River Tiber. The regional capital is Perugia. Umbria is appreciated for its landscapes, traditions, history, artistic legacy and influence on high culture. The region is char...

Wiesbaden, gate to the Rheingau

Wiesbaden, gate to the Rheingau

[caption id="attachment_160493" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kurhaus Wiesbaden © Holger Reinhardt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wiesbaden is a city in southwest Germany and the capital of the federal state of Hesse. It has about 275,400 inhabitants, plus approximately 10,000 United States citizens (mostly associated with the American military). Wiesbaden, together with the cities of Frankfurt am Main and Mainz, is part of the Frankfurt Rhine Main Region, a metropolitan area with a combined population of about 5.8 million people...

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Nymphenburg Palace © Richard Bartz/cc-by-sa-2.5
Nymphenburg Palace in Munich

The Nymphenburg Palace ("Castle of the Nymph"), is a Baroque palace in Munich, Bavaria. The palace was the main summer...

Moshulu at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia © Acroterion/cc-by-3.0
The Moshulu

Moshulu (ex Kurt) is a four-masted steel barque built by William Hamilton and Company on the River Clyde in Scotland...

Palace of Nations © flickr.com - Ville Oksanen/cc-by-sa-2.0
The Palace of Nations in Geneva

The Palace of Nations is the home of the United Nations Office at Geneva, located in Geneva, Switzerland. It was...

Schließen