Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin

Friday, 17 November 2017 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

© Thomas Wolf - www.foto-tw.de/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

© Thomas Wolf – www.foto-tw.de/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

Charlottenburg Palace is the largest palace in Berlin. It is in the Charlottenburg district of the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf borough. The palace was built at the end of the 17th century and was greatly expanded during the 18th century. It includes much lavish internal decoration in baroque and rococo styles. A large formal garden surrounded by woodland was added behind the palace, including a belvedere, a mausoleum, a theatre and a pavilion. During the Second World War, the palace was badly damaged but has since been reconstructed. The palace with its gardens are a major tourist attraction. The original palace was commissioned by Sophie Charlotte, the wife of Friedrich III, Elector of Brandenburg in what was then the village of Lietzow. Named Lietzenburg, the palace was designed by Johann Arnold Nering in baroque style. It consisted of one wing and was built in 2 1⁄2 storeys with a central cupola. The façade was decorated with Corinthian pilasters. On the top was a cornice on which were statues. At the rear in the centre of the palace were two oval halls, the upper one being a ceremonial hall and the lower giving access to the gardens. Nering died during the construction of the palace and the work was completed by Martin Grünberg and Andreas Schlüter. The inauguration of the palace was celebrated on 11 July 1699, Frederick’s 42nd birthday.

Friedrich crowned himself as King Friedrich I in Prussia in 1701 (Friedrich II, known as Frederick the Great, would later achieve the title King of Prussia). Two years previously, he had appointed Johann Friedrich von Eosander (also known as Eosander von Göthe) as the royal architect and sent him to study architectural developments in Italy and France, particularly the Palace of Versailles. On his return in 1702, Eosander began to extend the palace, starting with two side wings to enclose a large courtyard, and the main palace was extended on both sides. Sophie Charlotte died in 1705 and Friedrich named the palace and its estate Charlottenburg in her memory. In the following years, the Orangery was built on the west of the palace and the central area was extended with a large domed tower and a larger vestibule. On top of the dome is a wind vane in the form of a gilded statue representing Fortune designed by Andreas Heidt. The Orangery was originally used to overwinter rare plants. During the summer months, when over 500 orange, citrus and sour orange trees decorated the baroque garden, the Orangery regularly was the gorgeous scene of courtly festivities. Inside the palace, was a room described as “the eighth wonder of the world”, the Amber Room (Bernsteinzimmer), a room with its walls surfaced in decorative amber. It was designed by Andreas Schlüter and its construction by the Danish amber craftsman Gottfried Wolfram started in 1701. Friedrich Wilhelm I gave the Amber Room to Tsar Peter the Great as a present in 1716.

The palace was badly damaged in 1943 during the Second World War. In 1951, the war-damaged Stadtschloss in East Berlin was demolished and, as the damage to Charlottenburg was at least as serious, it was feared that it would also be demolished. However, following the efforts of Margarete Kühn, the Director of the State Palaces and Gardens, it was rebuilt to its former condition, with gigantic modern ceiling paintings by Hann Trier. From 2004 till early 2006, Charlottenburg Palace was the seat of the President of Germany, whilst Schloss Bellevue was being renovated.

© Times/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Thomas Wolf - www.foto-tw.de/cc-by-sa-3.0-de Palace Gardens © JoJan/cc-by-3.0 Palace Gardens - Mausoleum © Manfred Brueckels/cc-by-sa-3.0 Palace Gardens - Tea House Belvedere © Izmir Übül/cc-by-sa-3.0 New Pavilion © Morn the Gorn/cc-by-sa-3.0 Orangery © MaryG90/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Palace Gardens - Tea House Belvedere © Izmir Übül/cc-by-sa-3.0
The garden was designed in 1697 in baroque style by Simeon Godeau who had been influenced by André Le Nôtre, designer of the gardens at Versailles. Godeau’s design consisted of geometric patterns, with avenues and moats, which separated the garden from its natural surroundings. Beyond the formal gardens was the Carp Pond. Towards the end of the 18th century, a less formal, more natural-looking garden design became fashionable. In 1787 the Royal Gardener Georg Steiner redesigned the garden in the English landscape style for Friedrich Wilhelm II, the work being directed by Peter Joseph Lenné. After the Second World War, the centre of the garden was restored to its previous baroque style. In 1788, Friedrich Wilhelm II arranged for the building of the Belvedere, designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans, in the grounds beyond the Carp Pond. The building was used as a teahouse and as a viewing-tower. Langhans also designed the Palace Theatre, which was built between 1788 and 1791 to the west of the Orangery wing. The Mausoleum was built as a tomb for Queen Luise between 1810 and 1812 in neoclassical style to a design by Heinrich Gentz. After the death of Friedrich Wilhelm III, it was extended; this design being by Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was extended again in 1890–91 by Albert Geyer to accommodate the graves of Wilhelm I and his wife Augusta. In 1825, Friedrich Wilhelm III added the Neuer Pavilion, an Italianate villa designed by Schinkel, to the north of the palace. This was damaged in the war in 1943 and was reconstructed between 1957 and 1970.

The palace and grounds are a major visitor attraction.

  • For an admission charge, parts of the interior of the palace are open to visitors, including the Old Palace (Alte Schloss) and the New Wing (Neuer Flügel). The Old Palace contains many rooms with baroque decoration, and includes a room called the Porcelain Cabinet, which holds thousands of porcelain objects. On special display are the crown jewels and the royal silver and fine porcelain tableware. The New Wing includes the opulent rococo State Apartments of Frederick the Great and the more modest Winter Chambers of Friedrich Wilhelm II. The formal and informal gardens are freely open to the public.
  • For an admission charge, the Mausoleum, the Belvedere and the Neue Pavilion are open to visitors. The Mausoleum contains the graves of, and memorials to, members of the Hohenzollern family. The memorial to Queen Luise includes her reclining effigy, which is made from Carrara marble and was designed by Christian Daniel Rauch.
  • Also open to the public are the Belvedere, which contains a collection of Berlin porcelain, and the Neue Pavilion, which houses a collection of arts and crafts of the period when Schinkel was active.
  • The former Palace Theatre is now the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte, which is a museum of prehistoric archaeology. The former Orangery houses a restaurant and café. Destroyed during World War II, the Great Orangery was reconstructed on the model of the baroque building. Today, it shines in its old brilliance again. The light-flooded festival room provides a pleasant framework for cultural events, concerts and banquets.
  • In addition, a large equestrian statue of Friedrich Wilhelm I is the focus of the palace courtyard. This was designed by Andreas Schlüter and made between 1696 and 1700. From 1703, it stood on the Langen Brücke (now the Rathausbrücke) but was moved to a place of safety in the Second World War. On its return after the war, the barge carrying it sank and it was not salvaged until 1949. In 1952, it was erected on its present site. Across the street of the palace are two more museums, the Bröhan Museum, which contains art nouveau and art deco articles, and the Berggruen Museum, which houses modern art, in particular works by Picasso and Klee.

Read more on spsg.de – Charlottenburg Palace, VisitBerlin.de – Charlottenburg Palace and Wikipedia Charlottenburg Palace (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The DFB Hotel in Brazil

The DFB Hotel in Brazil

[caption id="attachment_153881" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © CampoBahia.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]With its newly created sport and nature resort, campo bahia is a unique and sustainable joint Brazilian and German project of the future. campo bahia in Bahia, Brazil is starting its unique sport and nature resort in 2014 as a joint German and Brazilian project of the future, which has been confirmed by the German Football Association as the training camp for the German national team during its stay for the FIFA World Cup ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Brittany - Quimper

Theme Week Brittany - Quimper

[caption id="attachment_153434" align="aligncenter" width="590"] St. Corentin Cathedral © Falk Koop[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Quimper (Breton: Kemper) is a commune and capital of the Finistère department in northwestern France. Quimper is the ancient capital of La Cornouaille, Brittany’s most traditional region, and has a distinctive Breton character. Shops and flags celebrating the region's Celtic heritage can be found throughout the city. Quimper was originally settled during Roman times. By AD 495, the town had become a B...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Gotthard Base Tunnel, Europe's biggest construction site

Gotthard Base Tunnel, Europe's biggest construction site

[caption id="attachment_1177" align="alignleft" width="179" caption="© Cooper.ch"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Gotthard Base Tunnel (GBT) is a railway tunnel beneath the Alps in Switzerland. With a route length of 57 km (35.4 mi) and a total of 151.84 km (94.3 mi) of tunnels, shafts and passages, it is the world's longest rail tunnel, surpassing the undersea Seikan Tunnel in Japan. The project consists of two single track tunnels. It is part of the AlpTransit project, also known as the New Railway Link through the Alp...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Quattro Canti in Palermo

Quattro Canti in Palermo

[caption id="attachment_25778" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Quattro Canti © flickr.com - Michele Ursino/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Quattro Canti, officially known as Piazza Vigliena, is a Baroque square in Palermo on Sicily in southern Italy. It was laid out on the orders of the Viceroys between 1608-1620 by Giulio Lasso at the crossing of the two principal streets in Palermo, the Via Maqueda and the Corso Vittorio Emanuele.[gallery size="medium" gss="1" ids="25780,25778,25779"]The piazza is octag...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The Northern Mariana Islands in the Pacific

The Northern Mariana Islands in the Pacific

[caption id="attachment_151053" align="aligncenter" width="435"] Northern Mariana Islands map © Wikid77[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Northern Mariana Islands is one of two insular areas that are Commonwealths of the United States; the other is Puerto Rico. It consists of fifteen islands in the western Pacific Ocean located about three-quarters of the way between Hawaii and the Philippines. Head of State is the US President. The Commonwealth's center of government is in the village of Capital Hill on Saipan. As the isl...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Alsace - Colmar

Theme Week Alsace - Colmar

[caption id="attachment_150574" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Sanseiya/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colmar is the third-largest commune of the Alsace region in north-eastern France. It is the seat of the prefecture of the Haut-Rhin department and the arrondissement of Colmar. Colmar is 64 kilometres (40 mi) south-southwest of Strasbourg on the Lauch River, a tributary of the Ill River. It is located directly to the east of the Vosges Mountains and connected to the Rhine in the east by a canal. The town is...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Barcelona, "la gran encisera", the great enchantress

Barcelona,

[caption id="attachment_152450" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaça Catalunya © tango7174[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Barcelona is the capital and the most populous city of Catalonia and the second largest city in Spain, after Madrid, with a population of 1,621,537 within its administrative limits on a land area of 101.4 km2 (39 sq mi). The urban area of Barcelona extends beyond the administrative city limits with a population of over 4,200,000 on an area of 803 km2 (310 sq mi), being the sixth-most populous urban area in the...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Algarve - Évora

Theme Week Algarve - Évora

[caption id="attachment_152688" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Joananv22[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Due to its well-preserved old town centre, still partially enclosed by medieval walls, and a large number of monuments dating from various historical periods, including a Roman Temple, Évora is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is also a member of the Most Ancient European Towns Network. Évora is ranked number two in the Portuguese most livable cities survey of living conditions published yearly by Expresso. It was ra...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Amalienborg Palace and Opera House Copenhagen in the background © flickr.com - Rob Deutscher/cc-by-2.0
Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen

Amalienborg is the home of the Danish royal family, and is located in Copenhagen, Denmark. It consists of four identical...

© Gryffindor
Theme Week Potsdam – Cecilienhof Palace

Cecilienhof Palace is a palace in Potsdam, Brandenburg built from 1914 to 1917 in the layout of an English Tudor...

Rheinsberg Palace on Lake Grienerik/Pelz-cc-by-sa-3.0
Rheinsberg Palace in Brandenburg

Rheinsberg Palace lies in the municipality of Rheinsberg, about 100 kilometres (62 mi) northwest of Berlin in the German district...

Schließen