North Miami Beach

Monday, 11 November 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Miami

Art Deco Hotel in the North Shore Historic District © flickr.com - Phillip Pessar/cc-by-2.0

Art Deco Hotel in the North Shore Historic District © flickr.com – Phillip Pessar/cc-by-2.0

North Miami Beach (commonly referred to as NMB) is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Originally named Fulford-by-the-Sea in 1926 after Captain William H. Fulford of the United States Coast Guard, the city was renamed North Miami Beach in 1931. The population is at 46,000. The hurricane of 1926 essentially ended the South Florida real estate boom, and in an effort to alleviate their losses and the damage to the city, local residents came together as the Town of Fulford. In 1927, the city was incorporated as the City of Fulford. Although the North Miami Beach boundaries once stretched to the Atlantic Ocean, this city on the Intracoastal Waterway no longer has any beaches within its city limits, although they are a short distance away across the inlet. North Miami Beach has a large middle class Haitian-American and Jewish-American community who were born in the U.S. or abroad.

Despite making up only 3.4% of North Miami Beaches population, the cities main commercial artery along NE 167th street converging into North Miami Beach Boulevard and then becoming 163rd street, has taken the unofficial name of “Chinatown” due to the large concentration of Asian ran and operated businesses in the area. The area has been referred to unofficially as “Chinatown” since the early 1990s by both locals and North Miami Beach city officials. As of recent even Miami-Dade County officials have even begun to reference the area as Chinatown. Even local guides and Miami websites have called 163rd street Miami’s unofficial Chinatown.

Fulford by the Sea entrance © Ebyabe/cc-by-sa-3.0 Monastery of St Bernard de Clairvaux © Steven Landeweer/cc-by-sa-4.0 The Cloisters of the monastery © Casingrid/cc-by-sa-3.0 Art Deco Hotel in the North Shore Historic District © flickr.com - Phillip Pessar/cc-by-2.0 Oleta State Park © panoramio.com - Richard Mc Neil/cc-by-3.0 North Miami Beach Waterway © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-4.0
<
>
Art Deco Hotel in the North Shore Historic District © flickr.com - Phillip Pessar/cc-by-2.0
Attractions in the vicinity of North Miami Beach include a line of popular Atlantic Ocean beaches, Ancient Spanish Monastery, Oleta River State Park, Greynolds Park, East Greynolds Park, Fulford-by-the-Sea Monument, and Aventura Mall. North Miami Beach’s has a historic 12th century Medieval Spanish monastery, the St. Bernard de Clairvaux Church. This stone building around a patio, the cloisters of the Monastery of St. Bernard de Clairvaux, was built in Sacramenia, Segovia, Spain in the 12th century. It was purchased by William Randolph Hearst in the 1920s, dismantled and shipped to the United States, and reassembled after Hearst’s death in North Miami Beach in the 1950s. It is a tourism attraction and a popular spot for weddings.

In 1966, a major accomplishment was the completion of the tennis complex and two community centers, Victory Park and Uleta Community Center. In 1968, the Washington Park Community Center was built, and the Allen Park Youth Center was completed in 1973. North Miami Beach expanded its parks in the 1980s as a result of the city commission making strides to benefit the community. The city now has the Judge Arthur I. Snyder Tennis Center. It includes twelve clay hydrogrid tennis courts (six are lighted), six lighted lay-kold hard tennis courts, four racquetball courts, and two paddleball courts. The center also has a clubhouse and pro-shop, a picnic area, and lounge and shower facilities.

Read more on North Miami Beach, The Ancient Spanish Monastery, Wikivoyage North Miami Beach and Wikipedia North Miami Beach (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Tibet - Gyantse

Theme Week Tibet - Gyantse

[caption id="attachment_203570" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old Gyantse and Palcho Monastery © Antoine Taveneaux/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gyantse, officially Gyangzê Town, is a town located in Gyantse County, Shigatse Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region. It was historically considered the third largest and most prominent town in the Tibet region (after Lhasa, and Shigatse), but there are now at least ten larger Tibetan cities. The town is strategically located in the Nyang Chu valley on the ancient t...

[ read more ]

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_192782" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Orator/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (German: Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas), also known as the Holocaust Memorial (German: Holocaust-Mahnmal), is a memorial in Berlin to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust, designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold. It consists of a 19,000-square-metre (200,000 sq ft) site covered with 2,711 concrete slabs or "stelae", arranged in a grid patte...

[ read more ]

The university town of Modena in Emilia-Romagna

The university town of Modena in Emilia-Romagna

[caption id="attachment_160853" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palazzo Comunale (right) and Cathedral (left) © Hierakares[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Modena is a city and comune (municipality) on the south side of the Po Valley, in the Province of Modena in the Emilia-Romagna region. An ancient town, it is the seat of an archbishop, but is now best known as "the capital of engines", since the factories of the famous Italian sports car makers Ferrari, De Tomaso, Lamborghini, Pagani and Maserati are, or were, located here...

[ read more ]

Rokycany in Czech Republic

Rokycany in Czech Republic

[caption id="attachment_159817" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Main Square © Miaow Miaow[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rokycany is a town in the Plzeň Region of the Czech Republic. It lies 17 km (11 mi) to the East from the region capital of Plzeň on the confluence of the River Klabava and the Holoubkov Brook. Alternatively, the Holoubkovský potok is referred to as the Borecký potok and the section of the Klabava River down to the confluence as the Padrťský potok. There is another smaller brook in the western part of the to...

[ read more ]

The wine village Schengen

The wine village Schengen

[caption id="attachment_154214" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Schengen Esplanade - Monument commemorating the Schengen Agreement in 1985 - The Agreement was signed on the riverboat M.S. Marie-Astrid anchored at the quai seen here © Cayambe[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Schengen is a small wine-producing village and commune in far south-eastern Luxembourg, near the tripoint where the borders of Germany, France, and Luxembourg meet. Other villages within the commune include Remerschen and Wintrange. As of 2005, the village has a p...

[ read more ]

Geneva, city of peace

Geneva, city of peace

[caption id="attachment_148933" align="aligncenter" width="590"] United Nations © Henry Mühlpfordt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Embedded between nearby Alpine peaks and the hilly terrain of the Jura, the French-speaking city of Geneva lies in the bay where the Rhone leaves Lake Geneva. With its humanitarian tradition and cosmopolitan flair, the European seat of the UNO and headquarters of the Red Cross is known as the "capital of peace". The symbol of the "world’s smallest metropolis" is the "Jet d'eau" – a fountain w...

[ read more ]

Chester in North West England

Chester in North West England

[caption id="attachment_153077" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Northgate Street © geograph.org.uk - John Firth/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chester, is a city in Cheshire, England. Lying on the River Dee, close to the border with Wales, it is home to 119,000 inhabitants, and is the largest and most populous settlement of the wider unitary authority area of Cheshire West and Chester, which had a population of 328,100. Chester was granted city status in 1541. A considerable amount of land in Chester is owned b...

[ read more ]

Theme Week North Frisian Islands - Pellworm

Theme Week North Frisian Islands - Pellworm

[caption id="attachment_152906" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © nordseetourismus.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pellworm is an island within the Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park. Its area is 37 km², and its population is roughly 1,200. Together with several smaller islands, Pellworm forms the Amt Pellworm. In medieval times Pellworm was a part of the larger island of Strand which was torn into pieces in a disastrous storm tide in 1634. Other remnants of Strand are Nordstrand and the Halligen. All these belo...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0
New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum

The Neue Synagoge ("New Synagogue") was built 1859–1866 as the main synagogue of the Berlin Jewish community, on Oranienburger Straße....

© flickr.com - William Warby/cc-by-2.0
Statue of Liberty in New York City

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor...

© flickr.com - Michelle Walz Eriksson/cc-by-2.0
Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne

The Beau-Rivage Palace is a historical luxury five-star hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. It is located in Ouchy, on the shores...

Schließen