Neuf-Brisach in Alsace

Wednesday, 8 May 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, UNESCO World Heritage

Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0

Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0

Neuf-Brisach is a fortified town and commune of the department of Haut-Rhin in the French region of Alsace. The fortified town was intended to guard the border between France and the Holy Roman Empire and, subsequently, the German states. It was built after the Treaty of Ryswick in 1697 that resulted in France losing the town of Breisach, on the opposite bank of the Rhine. The town’s name means New Breisach. In 2008, the ville neuve of Neuf-Brisach was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as part of the Fortifications of Vauban group.

Work began on the fortified town in 1698, to plans drawn by Vauban, a military engineer at the service of Louis XIV. Vauban died in 1707 and this, his last work, was completed by Louis de Cormontaigne. The city’s layout was that of an ‘ideal city’, as was popular at the time, with a regular square grid street pattern inside an octagonal fortification. Generous space was given to a central square across the four blocks at the middle, flanked by an impressive church. Individual blocks were offered for private development, either as affluent houses in private gardens, or as properties for commercial rent. Simpler housing was provided in long tenement blocks, built inside each curtain wall, which also had the effect of shielding the better houses from the risk of cannon fire. Access was provided by large gateways in the principal four curtain walls.

© Luftfahrer/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Luftfahrer/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Martin Leveneur/cc-by-sa-3.0 Porte de Strasbourg © Espirat/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0 Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Porte de Strasbourg © Espirat/cc-by-sa-4.0
The fortifications are Vauban’s final work and the culmination of his ‘Third System’. There are two lines of defence, an inner enceinte de sûreté, the bastion wall around the city, and an outer enceinte de combat, a system of concentric star-shaped earthworks. The curtain wall was largely octagonal, with each flank separated roughly into three and the outer bastion projecting slightly, so as to flank the centre of the walls. Each corner had a raised outwardly projecting pentagonal bastion tower, the highest points of the system. The outer earthworks were deep and occupied a greater area than the city itself. The inner walls were surrounded by tenailles before the centres of the curtain walls and counterguards before the bastions. In front of the centre of each curtain face was a large tetrahedral ravelin, those in front of the gateways also being topped by a reduit to the rear. Outside all of these earthworks was a covered way.

The city suffered damage in World War II, but still represents a very clear example of the latest in fortification work at the beginning of the eighteenth century.

Read more on Neuf-Brisach, Wikivoyage Neuf-Brisach and Wikipedia Neuf-Brisach (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Verden on the Aller

Verden on the Aller

[caption id="attachment_154200" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Große Strasse © Franzfoto[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Verden an der Aller is a town in Lower Saxony, Germany, on the river Aller. It is the administrative centre of the district of Verden. Verden is famous for the massacre of Saxons in 782, committed on the orders of Charlemagne (the Massacre of Verden), for its cathedral, and for its horse breeding. Verden is further renowned for horse racing and sport horse auctions and is thus also called the (horse) riding town...

[ read more ]

Theme Week La Rioja - Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Theme Week La Rioja - Santo Domingo de la Calzada

[caption id="attachment_153256" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaza de España © Ecelan/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santo Domingo de la Calzada is situated on the banks of the Oja River. Its name refers to its founder, Dominic de la Calzada, who built a bridge, hospital, and hotel here for pilgrims on the Way of St. James. The town's Cathedral of Santo Domingo de la Calzada is dedicated to him. Its facade contains statues of Emeterius and Celedonius. The altar was sculpted in 1537-40 by Damián Forment in the Rena...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Champagne - Troyes

Theme Week Champagne - Troyes

[caption id="attachment_153552" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old Town © KBWEi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Troyes is a commune and the capital of the Aube department. It is located on the Seine river about 150 km (93 mi) southeast of Paris. Many half-timbered houses (mainly of the 16th century) survive in the old town. Troyes has been in existence since the Roman era, as Augustobona Tricassium, which stood at the hub of numerous highways, primarily the Via Agrippa. The inhabitants of the commune are called Troyens. The...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Gascony

Theme Week Gascony

[caption id="attachment_151937" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Château de Castelmore in Lupiac, birthplace of Comte d’Artagnan © Jibi44/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gascony is an area of southwest France that was part of the "Province of Guyenne and Gascony" prior to the French Revolution. The region is vaguely defined and the distinction between Guyenne and Gascony is unclear; sometimes they are considered to overlap, and sometimes Gascony is considered a part of Guyenne. Most definitions put Gascony east and south...

[ read more ]

The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan

The Cloisters in Upper Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_165651" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Cloisters © flickr.com - Brian Clift/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Cloisters is a museum in Upper Manhattan, New York City specializing in European medieval architecture, sculpture and decorative arts. Its early collection was built by the American sculptor, art dealer and collector George Grey Barnard, and acquired by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in 1925. Rockefeller extended the collection and in 1931 purchased land at Washington Heights and contracted...

[ read more ]

Richerenches, the truffle village

Richerenches, the truffle village

[caption id="attachment_151110" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Black Richerenches Truffle © Véronique PAGNIER/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Richerenches (Richarencha in Occitan) is a commune in the Vaucluse department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in southeastern France with a populaton of 670. In 1136, a local lord, Hugh of Bourbouton, gave the Knights Templar land at Richerenches. Two years later he gave even more, and the next day he took his vows as a Templar. He eventually became the Commander of th...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cuba - Santiago de Cuba

Theme Week Cuba - Santiago de Cuba

[caption id="attachment_161594" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Catedral Nuestra Señora de la Asunción © Aquarius-BRE[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santiago de Cuba is the second largest city of Cuba and capital city of Santiago de Cuba Province in the south-eastern area of the island, some 870 km (540 mi) south-east of the Cuban capital of Havana. Historically Santiago de Cuba has long been the second most important city on the island after Havana, and still remains the second largest. It is on a bay connected to the Caribbean ...

[ read more ]

Marblehead in Massachusetts

Marblehead in Massachusetts

[caption id="attachment_168919" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Marblehead welcome sign © Bkg333/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marblehead is a coastal New England town in Essex County, Massachusetts. Its population is at 20,000. It is home to the Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary, Crocker Park, the Marblehead Lighthouse, Fort Sewall, Little Harbor and Devereux Beach. Archibald Willard's famous painting The Spirit of '76 currently resides in Abbot Hall. A town with roots in commercial fishing, whaling and yachting, Ma...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Julian Herzog/cc-by-4.0
Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm

Gamla stan (The Old Town), until 1980 officially Staden mellan broarna (The Town between the Bridges), is the old town...

© Kromme Zand/cc-by-sa-3.0
Hotel New York in Rotterdam

Hotel New York is a hotel in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, based in the former office building of the Holland America...

© flickr.com - Andreas Hobi/cc-by-sa-2.0
The Liberty of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean International Freedom-class cruise ship which entered regular service in May 2007. It...

Schließen