New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum

Saturday, 9 November 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions

© Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Neue Synagoge (“New Synagogue”) was built 1859–1866 as the main synagogue of the Berlin Jewish community, on Oranienburger Straße. Because of its eastern Moorish style and resemblance to the Alhambra, it is an important architectural monument of the second half of the 19th century in Berlin. Jewish services are now held again in the New Synagogue; the congregation is the Berlin community’s sole Masorti synagogue. Most of the building, however, houses offices and a museum. The dome may also be visited.

The building was designed by Eduard Knoblauch. Following Knoblauch’s death in 1865, Friedrich August Stüler took responsibility for the majority of its construction as well as for its interior arrangement and design. It was inaugurated in the presence of Count Otto von Bismarck, then Minister President of Prussia, in 1866. One of the few synagogues to survive Kristallnacht, it was badly damaged prior to and during World War II and subsequently much was demolished; the present building on the site is a reconstruction of the ruined street frontage with its entrance, dome and towers, and only a few rooms behind. It is truncated before the point where the main hall of the synagogue began.

© Rohieb/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Taxiarchos228 Plaque on the New Synagogue © Nathaniel Samson/cc-by-sa-3.0 - The plaque reads: This synagogue is 100 years old and was set ablaze on 9 November 1938 by the Nazis IN KRISTALLNACHT. During the Second World War 1939-1945 it was destroyed in 1943 by bombing raids. The façade of this house of God shall remain forever a site of remembrance. NEVER FORGET. The Jewish Community of Greater Berlin. The Directorate © Andreas Praefcke/cc-by-3.0 © Holz85/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Pedelecs/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Plaque on the New Synagogue © Nathaniel Samson/cc-by-sa-3.0 - The plaque reads: This synagogue is 100 years old and was set ablaze on 9 November 1938 by the Nazis IN KRISTALLNACHT. During the Second World War 1939-1945 it was destroyed in 1943 by bombing raids. The façade of this house of God shall remain forever a site of remembrance. NEVER FORGET. The Jewish Community of Greater Berlin. The Directorate
The front of the building, facing Oranienburger Straße, is polychrome brickwork, richly ornamented with sculpted bricks and terracotta, accented by coloured glazed bricks. Beyond the entrance, the building’s alignment changes to mesh with pre-existing structures. The synagogue’s main dome, with its gilded ribs, is an eye-catching landmark. The central dome is flanked by two smaller pavilion-like domes on the two side-wings. Beyond the façade was the front hall and the main hall with 3,000 seats. Due to the unfavourable alignment of the property, the building’s design required adjustment along a slightly turned axis.

The Neue Synagoge is also a monument of early iron construction. The new building material was visible in the outside columns, as well as in the dome’s construction. Iron was also a core component for the now-lost floor structure of the main hall.

Read more on New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum Foundation, VisitBerlin.de – New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum Foundation, List of synagogues, Category: Lists of Judaism-related buildings and structures and Wikipedia New Synagogue Berlin (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Egypt - Shadwan Island

Theme Week Egypt - Shadwan Island

[caption id="attachment_166122" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Wusel007/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Shadwan is a barren rocky island 30 miles southwest of the Egyptian city of Sharm el-Sheikh on the Sinai Peninsula and 20 miles northeast of el Gouna. It is the largest of a group of islands in the mouth of the Gulf of Suez in the northern Red Sea and measures 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) in length, and between 3–5 kilometres (1.9–3.1 mi) wide. It was formerly also called Shaker Island and features a lighthouse. The ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week London - Covent Garden and Soho

Theme Week London - Covent Garden and Soho

SOHO [caption id="attachment_150767" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Berwick Street Market - Soho © Fin Fahey[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Soho is an area of the City of Westminster and part of the West End of London. Long established as an entertainment district, for much of the 20th century Soho had a reputation for sex shops as well as night life and film industry. Since the early 1980s, the area has undergone considerable transformation. It now is predominantly a fashionable district of upmarket restaurants and media offices...

[ read more ]

Katowice in Silesia

Katowice in Silesia

[caption id="attachment_154208" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Umkatowice/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Katowice is a city in Silesia in southern Poland, on the Kłodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula respectively). Katowice is located in the Silesian Highlands, about 50 km (31 mi) north of the Silesian Beskids (part of the Carpathian Mountains) and about 100 km (62 mi) southeast of the Sudetes Mountains. It is the central district of the Upper Silesian Metropolis, with a populati...

[ read more ]

Parga on the Greek west coast

Parga on the Greek west coast

[caption id="attachment_153517" align="aligncenter" width="590"] View of Parga with the Panagia Island © Sakis Kostaris/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Parga is a town and municipality located in the northwestern part of the regional unit of Preveza in Epirus, northwestern Greece, with 12,000 inhabitants. The seat of the municipality is the village Kanallaki. Parga lies on the Ionian coast between the cities of Preveza and Igoumenitsa. It is a resort town known for its scenic beauty. The present municipality Parga was fo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Guyana - New Amsterdam

Theme Week Guyana - New Amsterdam

[caption id="attachment_184635" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Berbice River © flickr.com - madmack66/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]New Amsterdam (Dutch: Nieuw Amsterdam) is one of the largest towns in Guyana, located in the East Berbice-Corentyne Region, 62 mi (100 km) from the capital, Georgetown. It is located on the eastern bank of the Berbice River, 4 mi (6.4 km) upriver from its mouth at the Atlantic Ocean, and immediately south of the Canje River. New Amsterdam's population is approximately 33,000. New Am...

[ read more ]

Montparnasse in Paris

Montparnasse in Paris

[caption id="attachment_161797" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Boulevard du Montparnasse © flickr.com - Edhral/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Montparnasse is an area of Paris, on the left bank of the river Seine, centred at the crossroads of the Boulevard du Montparnasse and the Rue de Rennes, between the Rue de Rennes and boulevard Raspail. Montparnasse was absorbed into the capital's 14th arrondissement in 1669. The area also gives its name to Gare Montparnasse, Cimetière du Montparnasse, and Tour Montparnasse. The...

[ read more ]

The Russian warship Aurora

The Russian warship Aurora

[caption id="attachment_152988" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Fisss/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Aurora is a 1900 Russian protected cruiser, currently preserved as a museum ship in St. Petersburg. Aurora was one of three Pallada-class cruisers, built in St. Petersburg for service in the Pacific Far East. All three ships of this class served during the Russo-Japanese War. The second ship, Pallada, was sunk by the Japanese at Port Arthur in 1904. The third ship, Diana, was interned in Saigon after the Battle of the...

[ read more ]

Bar Harbor in Maine

Bar Harbor in Maine

[caption id="attachment_150616" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Tina Saey/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bar Harbor is a town on Mount Desert Island in Hancock County, Maine. Its population is 5,300. Bar Harbor is a popular tourist destination in the Down East region of Maine and home to the College of the Atlantic, Jackson Laboratory, and MDI Biological Laboratory (Salisbury Cove village). Prior to a catastrophic 1947 fire the town was a famous summer colony for the super-affluent elite. Bar Harbor is h...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© flickr.com - William Warby/cc-by-2.0
Statue of Liberty in New York City

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor...

© flickr.com - Michelle Walz Eriksson/cc-by-2.0
Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace in Lausanne

The Beau-Rivage Palace is a historical luxury five-star hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. It is located in Ouchy, on the shores...

© David Wakely/cc-by-sa-2.5
Pasadena City Hall

Pasadena City Hall, completed in 1927, serves as the central location for city government in the City of Pasadena, California...

Schließen