Montpelier in Vermont

Monday, 17 June 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

Vermont College of Fine Arts © Hannahmorris/cc-by-sa-3.0

Vermont College of Fine Arts © Hannahmorris/cc-by-sa-3.0

Montpelier is the capital city of the U.S. state of Vermont and the seat of Washington County. As the site of Vermont’s state government, it is the least populous state capital in the United States. The population is at 7,600. However, the daytime population grows to about 21,000, due to the large number of jobs within city limits. The Vermont College of Fine Arts, the annual Green Mountain Film Festival and New England Culinary Institute are located in the municipality. The Vermont History Museum, operated in The Pavilion by the Vermont Historical Society, and the Vermont State House are attractions. The majority of businesses in the downtown area, mostly retail, are locally owned. The city was named after Montpellier, a city in the south of France.

Montpelier is located in the north-central area of Vermont. The Winooski River flows west along the south edge of downtown village and is fed by several smaller tributaries that cut through residential districts. On its borders are the towns of Middlesex to the west, Berlin to the south, and East Montpelier to the north and east. Montpelier lies near the geographic center of the state. Though it does not share a border, Montpelier is frequently associated with the nearby city of Barre, and the two are often referred to together as “Barre-Montpelier”.

City Hall © John Phelan/cc-by-sa-3.0 Main Street © flickr.com - David Wilson/cc-by-2.0 Main Street © GearedBull/cc-by-3.0 Vermont College of Fine Arts © Hannahmorris/cc-by-sa-3.0 Vermont State House © Captain Thor/cc-by-sa-4.0 Vermont State House Representatives Hall © Royalbroil/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Vermont State House Representatives Hall © Royalbroil/cc-by-sa-4.0
Originally charted on August 14, 1781, the Town of Montpelier was granted municipal powers by the “Governor, Council and General Assembly of the Freemen of the State of Vermont”. The first permanent settlement began in May 1787, when Colonel Jacob Davis and General Parley Davis arrived from Charlton, Massachusetts. General Davis surveyed the land, while Colonel Davis cleared forest and erected a large log house on the west side of the North Branch of the Winooski River. His family moved in the following winter. Colonel Davis selected the name “Montpelier” after the French city of Montpellier. There was a general enthusiasm for things French as a result of the country’s aid to the American colonies during the Revolutionary War. The settlement grew quickly, and by 1791 the population reached 117. The configuration of the early village was strongly influenced by geography. As early as 1799 a bridge was constructed across the Winooski River to Berlin. The Town’s Charter was reissued on February 6, 1804, to include a boundary description of the lands granted to the Town’s inhabitants and proprietors. The confluence of the Winooski, North Branch and Dog Rivers provided a central point for the local population and commerce. By 1805 the town had a population of 1,200. In that year the state legislature sought a permanent home. Montpelier was selected because of its central location and accessibility, and because local residents provided land and money. A humble State House was soon constructed on State Street. In 1825, the Marquis de Lafayette visited Montpelier on a triumphal tour of the United States, 50 years after the Revolutionary War. The town developed into a center for manufacturing, especially after the Central Vermont Railway opened in Montpelier on June 20, 1849. In response to Montpelier’s growth and changing demographics, on November 9, 1848, the General Assembly divided the original Town into two district municipal corporations. The towns of East Montpelier and Montpelier were created. Later on, in an attempt to modernize its form of government, the town was reconstituted as the Village of Montpelier. By 1858, the layout of the main streets paralleling the rivers was in place. The downtown street pattern has changed very little since that time.

The City of Montpelier grew slowly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries during the period of intensive out-migration from the state to new lands in the West, or to industrial centers elsewhere in New England. Montpelier was already established as a government, market, service and industrial center in the region. When the automobile arrived, new state highways were routed to the city limits, and traffic then circulated through the original streets of the city. In 1954, a new bridge was constructed at Bailey Avenue which linked to an extension of Winooski Avenue, now Memorial Drive, and diverted some of the traffic from the downtown area.

Read more on City of Montpelier, Montpelier Alive, NewEngland.com – Montpelier, VisitTheUSA.com – Montpelier, Wikivoyage Montpelier and Wikipedia Montpelier (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post:

Penmarch in Brittany

Penmarch in Brittany

[caption id="attachment_154373" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pointe de Penmarch © Photographe[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Penmarch is a commune in the Finistère department of Brittany in north-western France. It lies 18 km south-west of Quimper by road. Inhabitants of Penmarc'h are called in French Penmarchais. Penmarch is the southwest most township of Pays Bigouden, at the southern end of the Bay of Audierne. It is the most populous township of the Guilvinec's canton, with a population of 6,000 inhabitants. The ter...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cuba - Trinidad

Theme Week Cuba - Trinidad

[caption id="attachment_161574" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco © Dieter Mueller/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Trinidad is a town in the province of Sancti Spíritus, central Cuba. Together with the nearby Valle de los Ingenios, it has been one of UNESCOs World Heritage sites since 1988. The Valley of the Sugar Mills—Valle de los Ingenios has around 70 historic sugar cane mills. They represent the importance of sugar to the Cuban economy since the 18th century. Trinidad was fo...

[ read more ]

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

Islamorada in the Florida Keys

[caption id="attachment_161970" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ex1le/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Islamorada, a "Village of Islands," is a village in Monroe County in Florida. It is located on the islands of Tea Table Key, Lower Matecumbe Key, Upper Matecumbe Key, Windley Key and Plantation Key in the Florida Keys. The village has a total population of 6,500. The name Islamorada (Original meaning: "Island Home" after the Pinder family schooner of that name), newly nicknamed, "The Purple Isle," came from ea...

[ read more ]

Dana Point in Orange County

Dana Point in Orange County

[caption id="attachment_150758" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dana Point is a city located in southern Orange County, California. The population is at 34,000. It has one of the few harbors along the Orange County coast, and with ready access via State Route 1, it is a popular local destination for surfing. The city was named after the headland of Dana Point, which was in turn named after Richard Henry Dana, Jr., author of Two Years Before the Mast, which included a descr...

[ read more ]

Kronberg im Taunus

Kronberg im Taunus

[caption id="attachment_160661" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Victoria Park: View from Schiller Lake towards Kronberg Castle © Wolliballa[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kronberg im Taunus is a town in the Hochtaunuskreis district, Hesse. Before 1866, it was in the Duchy of Nassau; in that year the whole Duchy was absorbed into Prussia. Kronberg lies at the foot of the Taunus, flanked in the north and southwest by forests. A mineral water spring also rises in the town. The biggest street festival in the Old Town (around St...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cuba - Varadero

Theme Week Cuba - Varadero

[caption id="attachment_161605" align="aligncenter" width="590"] La Casa de Al, Al Capone's warhouse during prohibition, today a restaurant © Laslovarga/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Varadero is a resort town in the province of Matanzas, and one of the largest resort areas in the Caribbean. The first mention of Varadero was in 1555. The place was first used as a dry dock (Spanish: varadero) and the salt mines of the peninsula (closed in 1961) supplied most of the Spanish Latin America Fleet since 1587. However, the fou...

[ read more ]

The hotel ship Barken Viking

The hotel ship Barken Viking

[caption id="attachment_150798" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Barken Viking © Pär Henning[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Viking (better known by the ship type as a prefix, Barken Viking) is a four-masted steel barque, built in 1906 by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen, Denmark. She is reported to be the biggest sailing ship ever built in Scandinavia. Viking was originally built as a sail training ship for the rapidly growing Danish merchant fleet. At that time, seaworthiness and cargo capacity were given top priority. One day ...

[ read more ]

Volvic in Auvergne

Volvic in Auvergne

[caption id="attachment_153803" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Volvic spring © Matthieu Perona/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Volvic is a commune in the Puy-de-Dôme department in Auvergne in central France, with a population of 4,600 inhabitants. The municipality is located in the Riom arrondissement and there within the Canton of Riom-Ouest. The church at Volvic is dedicated to "St Priest" (Projectus), who is reputed to have been killed here in 676 AD. The Château de Tournoël is a medieval fortified castle pa...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© flickr.com - Julien Ricard/cc-by-3.0
Hôtel de Crillon in Paris

The Hôtel de Crillon is a historic luxury hotel in Paris which opened in 1909 in a building dating to...

© WiNG/cc-by-3.0
Causeway Bay in Hong Kong

Causeway Bay is a heavily built-up area of Hong Kong, located on Hong Kong Island, and covering parts of Wan...

© panoramio.com - Ameer Attia/cc-by-3.0
Hollywood Hills in Los Angeles

The Hollywood Hills is a hillside neighborhood of the same name in the central region of the city of Los...

Schließen