Miami-Dade County Courthouse

Tuesday, January 1st, 2019 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: House of the Month, Miami

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Miami-Dade County Courthouse is a historic courthouse located at 73 West Flagler Street in Miami, Florida. Constructed over four years (1925–28), it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1989. The building is 361 feet tall with 28 floors. When it was built, it was the tallest building in Miami and in Florida. It is still in use as the main civil courthouse of Miami-Dade County.

When county government was established following the Civil War, public records were so sparse they could be carried in a carpetbag and most probably were. Therefore, the “courthouse” was wherever the county’s chief office holder decided to do business. In 1890, Dade County’s first courthouse stood in the town of Juno some ten miles north of West Palm Beach. At that time, Dade County covered more territory than it does today, stretching from Bahia Honda Key, in the Middle Keys, up to the St. Lucie River, near present-day Port St. Lucie. Juno was chosen as the “county seat” because of its strategic location at the southern terminus of the Jupiter-Juno railroad. Juno also held the northern terminus of the boat and connecting stagecoach line to Miami. The courthouse remained in Juno (now no longer in existence) until 1899, when it was moved to Miami down the inland waterway on a barge and was placed on the banks of the Miami River, east of the old Miami Avenue bridge. The building was two story wooden frame construction, housing offices and jail cells on the ground floor and a courtroom on the second floor. In 1904 this building was replaced by a new courthouse building with a Neoclassical design situated on Flagler Street (then known as Twelfth Street). It was a magnificent building constructed of limestone, having an elegant red-domed top, at the cost of $47,000. It was anticipated that this courthouse would serve the city for at least fifty years; however, no one was prepared for the rapid growth Miami experienced during this period, and by 1924, only twenty years later, there was serious talk of the need for a larger courthouse.

© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Averette/cc-by-3.0
<
>
© Daniel Di Palma/cc-by-sa-4.0
In the early 1920s, architect A. Ten Eyck Brown entered a design competition for Atlanta City Hall, which was rejected. He then made the plans available to Dade County, and City and County officials readily approved them. It was decided by the officials to build the new courthouse at the same location as the existing one on Flagler Street. Construction began in 1925, with workers erecting the new building around the existing structure, which was then dismantled. Community leaders and citizens alike voiced excitement over the new 28 story “skyscraper” that would soon dominate the skyline. Unexpectedly, construction was halted when the building reached ten stories. It was discovered that the “high-rise” was sinking into the spongy ground. Engineers consulted with an architect from Mexico City, whom had encountered a similar problem while building the city’s opera house. The consultant determined that the foundation pilings were not set deep enough. To correct the problem, cement supports were poured, which take up much of the space in the building’s basement file room even to this day. The courthouse was finally completed in 1928 at the cost of $4 million (today approximately $60 million). Initially, it served as both the Dade County Courthouse and the Miami City Hall. Jail cells occupied the top nine floors because these heights offered “maximum security” and were considered escape proof. In 1934, a prisoner housed on the twenty-first floor picked the lock of his jail cell window and used a fire hose to lower himself to freedom. In the years following, more than 70 prisoners escaped from this so-called “secure” prison.

For many years, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse, at an elevation of 360 feet, was reputed to be the tallest building south of Baltimore. It was the County’s first high-rise and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Efforts to refurbish this magnificent structure and restore it to its original grandeur have been underway since 1981 by Architect James W. Piersol, AIA of M.C Harry Associates Architects of Miami. The restoration and renovations initially stabilized the terra cotta facade, and installed new life safety systems. In 1982, the idea of restoring the lobby to its original distinction was the passion of both Architect James Piersol and engineer Don Youatt, of the Miami-Dade Planning and Development Department. With a little less than half of the funding necessary for the lobby restoration project in hand ($300,000 grant approved by the Legislature in 1996), the Dade County Bar Association acted as the fund-raising umbrella and initiate a drive to raise the remainder needed from lawyers and the general public. A few years later, the same team restored Courtroom 6-1, which had been the site of many infamous trials over the years. Today, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse provides offices, chambers, and courtrooms for the clerks and judiciary assigned to both the Circuit and County Civil Court.

Read more on Miami Dade Clerk of Courts and Wikipedia Miami-Dade County Courthouse. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.



Recommended posts:

Stockholm Public Library

Stockholm Public Library

[caption id="attachment_163692" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rotunda © Andrea Serio/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Stockholm Public Library (Swedish: Stockholms stadsbibliotek or Stadsbiblioteket) is a library building in Stockholm, designed by Swedish architect Gunnar Asplund, and one of the city's most notable structures. The name is today used for both the main library itself as well as the municipal library system of Stockholm. Discussed by a committee of which Asplund himself was a member from 1918, a design sc...

Theme Week Abu Dhabi - Al Ain

Theme Week Abu Dhabi - Al Ain

[caption id="attachment_165482" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Oasis of Green Mubazarrah © Shahinmusthafa Shahin Olakara/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Al Ain (literally The Spring), also known as the Garden City of The Gulf given the many oases, parks, tree-lined avenues and decorative roundabouts within the city. Strict height controls on new buildings, to no more than four floors, emphasise the greenery of the city, is the second largest city in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and the fourth largest city in the United Ara...

Larnaca on Cyprus

Larnaca on Cyprus

[caption id="attachment_153492" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palm Trees Promenade © Valantis Antoniades/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Larnaca is a city on the southern coast of Cyprus, the third largest after Nicosia and Limassol, with an urban population of 72,000, and capital of the eponymous district. The island's largest airport, Larnaca International Airport, is located on the outskirts of the city to the south. The port of Larnaca and the marina are two of the four official entry points by sea to Cyprus. The ...

Diest in Flemish Brabant

Diest in Flemish Brabant

[caption id="attachment_160733" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square © Bescha[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Diest is a city and municipality located in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. Situated in the northeast of the Hageland region, Diest neighbours the provinces of Antwerp to its North, and Limburg to the East and is situated around 60km from Brussels. The municipality comprises the city of Diest proper and the towns of Deurne, Kaggevinne, Molenstede, Schaffen and Webbekom. Diest had a total population of 23,15...

Portrait: Hans and Sophie Scholl

Portrait: Hans and Sophie Scholl

[caption id="attachment_183129" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ludwig Maximilians University Munich - Lichthof © Cfaerber/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hans and Sophie Scholl, often referred to in German as die Geschwister Scholl (literally: the Scholl siblings), were a brother and sister who were members of the White Rose, a student group in Munich that was active in the non-violent resistance movement in Nazi Germany, especially in distributing flyers against the war and the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler. In post-wa...

Spy Museum in Berlin

Spy Museum in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_171424" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Enigma machine © Scontrofrontale/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Spy Museum Berlin is a private Museum in Berlin which was opened to the public on 19 September 2015. It is located at Leipziger Platz, directly at Berlin Potsdamer Platz station. The Museum shows in an interactive and multimedia exhibition the history of espionage and secret services worldwide. Special emphasis is dedicated to espionage activities in Berlin during the Cold War. In the exit...

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club in Lorient/France © XIIIfromTOKYO/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Buena Vista Social Club

Buena Vista Social Club is an ensemble of Cuban musicians established in 1996 to revive the music of pre-revolutionary Cuba....

Delray Beach © D Ramey Logan/cc-by-sa-4.0
Delray Beach in Florida, America’s Most Fun Small Town

Delray Beach is a coastal city in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population of Delray Beach is estimated...

Tiber, Ponte Sant'Angelo and St. Peter's Basilica © Rabax63/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Vatican City – St. Peter’s Basilica

The Papal Basilica of St. Peter in the Vatican, or simply St. Peter's Basilica, is an Italian Renaissance church in...

Schließen