Cordouan Lighthouse

Monday, 12 December 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0

Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0

Cordouan lighthouse is an active lighthouse located 7 km at sea, near the mouth of the Gironde estuary in France. At a height of 223 feet (68 m) it is the tenth tallest “traditional lighthouse” in the world. The Tour de Cordouan, the ‘Patriarch of Lighthouses’, is by far the oldest lighthouse in France. It was designed by leading Paris architect Louis de Foix, and is something of a Renaissance masterpiece, an amalgam of royal palace, cathedral and fort. Started in 1584 and finished in 1611, it still stands today. Small beacon towers had existed on the islet since 880, but the first proper structure was implemented by Edward, the Black Prince, as Guienne was then an English province. It was 48 feet (15 m) high, with a platform on top where a wood fire could be kept burning, and manned by a religious hermit. Passing ships paid two groats to pass – the first known instance of lighthouse dues. In addition to the tower, a small chapel was built on the islet. By the second half of the 16th century the tower had fallen into disrepair and the hazard to navigation threatened the Bordeaux wine trade. This led to the construction of the current Tour de Cordouan.

De Foix first built a round base 135 feet (41 m) in diameter and 8 feet (2.4 m) high to take the onslaught of the waves. Within it was a cavity 20 feet (6.1 m) square for storing water and other supplies. Above it were constructed four storeys of diminishing size. The ground floor consisted of a circular tower 50 feet (15 m) in diameter, with apartments for four keepers around its inner wall. In the centre was richly decorated entrance hall 22 feet (6.7 m) square and 20 feet (6.1 m) high. The second storey was the King’s Apartment, consisting of a drawing room, anteroom and a number of closets. The third storey was a chapel with a domed roof notable for the beauty of its mosaic. Above this was secondary lantern, and above that the Lantern itself. This was 162 feet (49 m) above the sea and visible 5–6 miles away, the original light being provided by burning oak chips in a metal container. Throughout the building, de Foix took as much trouble with the decor as with the durability of the building, and on every floor was a profusion of gilt, carved work, elegantly arched doorways and statuary.

© Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Selvejp/cc-by-sa-4.0 Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Lighthouse of Cordouan © Yann Gwilhoù/cc-by-sa-3.0
The first parabolic lamps were added in 1782, but the lighthouse was in very poor condition. Sailors also criticized the lack of height of the light. Major renovations were needed. They were carried out from 1782 to 1789 by the engineer Joseph Teulère who suggested enhancing the 30-meter tower, retaining the ground floor and two floors, in the Louis XVI style, the simplicity of which contrasted with the wealth of the lower floors, which retained their Renaissance decoration. In 1790, after the lighthouse was raised 60 meters above the highest tides, Teulère devised the first turning lighting dish. It consisted of Argand lamps turned by a machine built by a watchmaker in Dieppe. The fuel was a mixture of whale, olive and rapeseed oil.

The first Fresnel lens rotating system, the invention of Augustin-Jean Fresnel, was installed in Cordouan in 1823. Three concentric lamp wicks, supplied with rapeseed oil by means of a suction and force pump, were placed in the focal plane of the apparatus. It was restored in 1855 and made a historical monument in 1862, at the same time as Notre-Dame de Paris. The Fresnel lens was replaced by the present lens in 1854. The light was converted to petroleum gas in 1907 and to electricity in 1948, when a 6,000W lamp was used. It was fully automated in 2006, although lighthousekeepers are still employed, partly to show visitors around. The lamp was replaced by a 450W xenon lamp in 1984 but this was not successful and a halogen lamp was installed three years later.

Read more on bordeaux-tourism.co.uk – Cordouan Lighthouse, france-voyage.com – Cordouan Lighthouse and Wikipedia Cordouan Lighthouse (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Medieval city of Orléans on the Loire

Medieval city of Orléans on the Loire

[caption id="attachment_159865" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jeanne d'Arc monument © Pc fish[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Orléans is a city in north-central France, about 130 kilometres (81 mi) southwest of Paris. It is the capital of the Loiret department and of the Centre region. Orléans is located on the Loire River where the river curves south towards the Massif Central. The city of New Orleans (still called in French La Nouvelle-Orléans), in the United States is named after the commune of Orléans. Orléans is ...

[ read more ]

Waterloo and Napoleon

Waterloo and Napoleon

[caption id="attachment_161052" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Battle of Waterloo- 18. June 1815 by Clément-Auguste Andrieux in 1852 © Musée national du Château de Versailles - Frank Schulenburg[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Waterloo is a Walloon municipality located in the province of Walloon Brabant. On 30 September 2011, Waterloo had a total population of 29,706. The total area is 21.03 km² which gives a population density of 1,413 inhabitants per km². Nearly one fifth of the current registered population (5,640 inhabitan...

[ read more ]

The Jetset Destination St. Moritz

The Jetset Destination St. Moritz

[caption id="attachment_152218" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cartier Polo World Cup on Snow 2008 © Frédéric de Goldschmidt - www.frederic.net[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St. Moritz is a resort town in the Engadine valley in Switzerland. It is a municipality in the district of Maloja in the Swiss canton of Graubünden. The highest summit in the Eastern Alps, the Piz Bernina, lies a few kilometres south of the town. The year-round population is 5600, with some 3000 seasonal employees supporting hotels and rental units with a ...

[ read more ]

Allinge-Sandvig on Bornholm

Allinge-Sandvig on Bornholm

[caption id="attachment_152865" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sandvig © Jens Bludau/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Allinge-Sandvig is a small town on the northern coast of the Baltic island of Bornholm in Denmark. Its population is 1,633. It was part of the former municipality Allinge-Gudhjem. Prior to Allinge and Sandvig becoming urban areas, people in the bronze age lived there and made rock carvings at Madsebakke. Not all carvings of ships, suns, and footprints have survived, however. Late in the 19th cent...

[ read more ]

Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks

Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks

[caption id="attachment_150974" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kitty Hawk Airfield © Wusel007/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kitty Hawk is a town in Dare County, North Carolina, and is a part of what is known as North Carolina's Outer Banks. The population is at 3,300. It was established in the early 18th century as Chickahawk. The Kitty Hawk Life-Saving Station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Kitty Hawk became world-famous after the Wright brothers made the first controlled pow...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Dresden - State Art Collections

Theme Week Dresden - State Art Collections

[caption id="attachment_25962" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden (English: Dresden State Art Collections) is a cultural institution in Dresden, owned by the State of Saxony. It is one of the most renowned and oldest museum institutions in the world, originating from the collections of the Saxon electors in the 16th century. The Staatliche Kunstsammlungen has been a state-owned enterprise since January 1, 2009. The association includ...

[ read more ]

Museum of European Cultures in Berlin

Museum of European Cultures in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_192419" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ute Franz-Scarciglia/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Museum of European Cultures - National Museums in Berlin - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation came from the unification of the Europe-Department in the Berlin Museum of Ethnography and the Berlin Museum for Folklore in 1999. The museum focuses on the lived-in world of Europe and European culture contact, predominantly in Germany from the 18th Century until today. The museum, together with the Eth...

[ read more ]

Academy of Arts in Berlin

Academy of Arts in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_165477" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © De-okin/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Academy of Arts (German: Akademie der Künste) is a state arts institution in Berlin. The task of the Academy is to promote art, as well as to advise and support the states of Germany. The Academy's predecessor organization was founded in 1696 by Elector Frederick III of Brandenburg as the Prussian Academy of Arts, an academic institution in which members could meet and discuss and share ideas. The current Acade...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Lighthouse and Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro at the entrance to Havana Harbor © Mariordo/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Havana – Havana Harbor

Havana Harbor is the port of Havana, the capital of Cuba, and it is the main port in Cuba (not...

Montage of Goygol © Huseyn200021/cc-by-sa-4.0
Goygol in Azerbaijan

Goygol (also, Xanlar, Chanlar, Helenendorf, and Kol-Yelendorf) is a city and municipality and the capital of the Goygol Rayon in...

Tomb of Saint Nicholas © Sjoehest/cc-by-sa-3.0
Myra in Lycia

Myra was an ancient Greek town in Lycia where the small town of Kale (Demre) is situated today, in present-day...

Schließen