Theme Week Havana – La Habana Vieja

Wednesday, 21 December 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, UNESCO World Heritage

Hotel Inglatera © Gotanero/cc-by-sa-4.0

Hotel Inglatera © Gotanero/cc-by-sa-4.0

Old Havana (Spanish: La Habana Vieja) is the city-center (downtown) and one of the 15 municipalities (or boroughs) forming Havana. It has the second highest population density in the city and contains the core of the original city of Havana. The positions of the original Havana city walls are the modern boundaries of Old Havana. Old Havana is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A safeguarding campaign was launched a year later to restore the authentic character of the buildings. Old Havana resembles Cadiz and Tenerife. Alejo Carpentier called it “de las columnas” (of the columns), but it could also be named for the gateways, the revoco, the deterioration and the rescue, the intimacy, the shade, the cool, the courtyards… In her there are all the big ancient monuments, the forts, the convents and churches, the palaces, the alleys, the arcade, the human density. The Cuban State has undertaken enormous efforts to preserve and to restore Old Havana through the efforts of the Office of the Historian of the City, directed by Eusebio Leal.

Havana Vieja was founded by the Spanish in 1519 in the natural harbor of the Bay of Havana. It became a stopping point for the treasure laden Spanish Galleons on the crossing between the New World and the Old World. In the 17th century it was one of the main shipbuilding centers. The city was built in baroque and neoclassic style. Many buildings have fallen in ruin in the later half of the 20th century, but a number are being restored. The narrow streets of Old Havana contain many buildings, accounting for perhaps as many as one-third of the approximately 3,000 buildings found in Old Havana. It is the ancient city formed from the port, the official center and the Plaza de Armas. In 1555 Old Havana was destroyed and burned by the French corsair Jacques de Sores. The pirate had taken Havana easily, plundering the city and burning much of it to the ground. After limiting the scarce defenders, De Sores left without obtaining the enormous wealth that he was hoping to find in Havana. The city remained devastated and set on fire. Since the incident, the Spanish brought soldiers and started building fortresses and walls to protect the city. Castillo de la Real Fuerza was the first fortress built; initiated in 1558, the construction was overseen by the engineer Bartolomé Sanchez.

Plaza Vieja © flickr.com - Brian Snelson/cc-by-2.0 Payret Cinema © Jorge Royan - www.royan.com.ar/cc-by-sa-3.0 Paseo del Prado and Hotel Telegrafo © flickr.com - Hydn Blackey/cc-by-sa-2.0 Capitolio Nacional © flickr.com - Gerry Zambonini/cc-by-sa-2.0 Old Havana © flickr.com - Gabriel Rodríguez/cc-by-sa-2.0 Hotel Inglatera © Gotanero/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Paseo del Prado and Hotel Telegrafo © flickr.com - Hydn Blackey/cc-by-sa-2.0
Main sights are:

  • The Malecón is the avenue that runs along the seawall at the northern shore of Havana, from Old Havana to the Almendares River.
  • The Paseo del Prado is the street that forms the western edge of Old Havana, being its boundary with Centro Habana.
  • Castillo del Morro, picturesque fortress guarding the entrance to Havana bay. The construction of the castle Los Tres Reyes del Morro owed to the step along in Havana of the English pirate Sir Francis Drake. The king of Spain arranged its construction on a big stone which was known by the name of El Morro. He sent the field master Juan de Texeda, accompanied of the military engineer Battista Antonelli, who came to Havana in 1587 and began the task at once.
  • La Cabaña fortress, located on the east side of the Havana Bay. The most impressive fortress of the Spanish colony was La Cabaña. It impresses with its 18th-century walls, constructed at the same time as El Morro. Every night at 9 p.m., some soldiers dressed in suits of the epoch shoot from her the “el cañonazo de las nueve”, (gunshot of the nine). It went off every day to warn of the closing of the doors of the wall that surrounded the city.
  • San Salvador de la Punta Fortress, In the shore opposite to the Castle of El Morro, at the beginning of the curve of El Malecon, there rises the fortress of San Salvador de la Punta, of minor architectural dimensions. It was constructed in 1590, and in 1629 the Chapter of Havana decided, to defend better the port, to join her in the night with the El Morro by using a thick chain that prevented the entry of enemy ships.
  • Catedral de San Cristóbal, the most prominent building on the Plaza de la Catedral. The Cathedral was raised on the chapel after 1748 by order of the bishop from Salamanca, Jose Felipe de Trespalacios. It is one of the most beautiful and sober churches of the American baroque.
  • National Capitol, styled after the Panthéon (Paris), looking similar to the U.S. Capitol.
  • Galician Center, Central Park, The Galician Center, of neobarroque style was established as a social club of the Galician emigrants between 1907 and 1914. Built on the Theater Tacon (nowadays Great Theater of Havana), it was open during the Carnival of 1838 with five masked dances.
  • Plaza de Armas – the main touristic square. The origin of its name is military, since from the end of the 16th century the ceremonies and the military events took place here.
  • Gran Teatro de la Havana, the Great Theater of Havana is famous, particularly for the acclaimed National Ballet of Cuba and its founder Alicia Alonso. It sometimes performs the National Opera. The theater is also known as concert hall, Garcia Lorca, the biggest in Cuba.
  • The Museum of the Revolution, located in the former Presidential Palace, with the boat Granma on display in front of the museum.
  • San Francisco de la Habana Basilica, the set of church and convent of San Francisco de Asis, byline of the year 1608, and it was reconstructed in 1737.

Read more on VisitarCuba.org – La Habana Vieja and Wikipedia Old Havana (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

San Francisco Ferry Building

San Francisco Ferry Building

[caption id="attachment_191690" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ferry from Sausalito arriving at the Ferry Building © flickr.com - Clay Gilliland/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The San Francisco Ferry Building is a terminal for ferries that travel across the San Francisco Bay, a food hall and an office building. It is located on The Embarcadero in San Francisco, California. On top of the building is a 245-foot-tall (75 m) clock tower with four clock dials, each 22 feet (6.7 m) in diameter, which can be seen from Market...

[ read more ]

Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum

Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum

[caption id="attachment_169431" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Berlin-Dahlem Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (German: Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum Berlin-Dahlem) is a botanical garden in Berlin, with an area of 43 hectares and around 22,000 different plant species. It was constructed between 1897 and 1910, under the guidance of architect Adolf Engler, in order to present exotic plants returned from German colonies. The garden ...

[ read more ]

Dyck Castle in Aldenhoven

Dyck Castle in Aldenhoven

[caption id="attachment_169175" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Wandernder Weltreisender/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The castle Dyck is one of the most important moated castles of the Rhineland. The complex consists of a stronghold and two baileys, which are surrounded by a moat. The castle has a triple ditch system. The manor house, which dates from 1636 to 1663, is accessed via this and an outer and an inner bailey. The four-winged castle, which is delimited by corner towers, surrounds an almost square courtyard...

[ read more ]

The Brunswick Palace

The Brunswick Palace

[caption id="attachment_23668" align="alignleft" width="590"] Brunswick Palace © wingsch.net[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Brunswick Palace (German: Braunschweiger Schloss or Braunschweiger Residenzschloss) on the Bohlweg in the centre of the city of Brunswick (German: Braunschweig), was the residence of the Brunswick dukes from 1753 to 8 November 1918. The rebuilt palace houses on 13,300 sqm the city library, city archives, city culture management, city culture institute and the Palace Museum. The building complex has a to...

[ read more ]

The Camargue

The Camargue

[caption id="attachment_160463" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Camargue map © ChrisO[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Camargue is the region located south of Arles, France, between the Mediterranean Sea and the two arms of the Rhône River delta. The eastern arm is called the Grand Rhône; the western one is the Petit Rhône. Administratively it lies within the département of Bouches-du-Rhône, the appropriately named "Mouths of the Rhône", and covers parts of the territory of the communes of Arles - the largest commune in Met...

[ read more ]

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

[caption id="attachment_154244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orangery and teahouse © Lucas Friese/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Altenburg is a city in Thuringia, located 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Leipzig, 90 kilometres (56 miles) west of Dresden and 100 kilometres (62 miles) east of Erfurt. It is the capital of the Altenburger Land district and part of a polycentric old-industrial textile and metal production region between Gera, Zwickau and Chemnitz with more than 1 million inhabitants, while the city itse...

[ read more ]

Sailors for the Sea

Sailors for the Sea

[caption id="attachment_151697" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © www.sailorsforthesea.org[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Marine life and vital coastal habitats are straining under the increasing pressure of global use. The ocean, which was once considered inexhaustible and resilient, is, in fact, finite and fragile. Sailors for the Sea is a nonprofit organization that educates and empowers the boating community to protect oceans and local waters. The boating community has a profound passion for - and understanding of - the world's...

[ read more ]

Theme Week India - Bangalore

Theme Week India - Bangalore

[caption id="attachment_196182" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bangalore Palace © Nikkul/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bangalore, officially known as Bengaluru, is the capital city of Karnataka. It has a population of over ten million, making it a megacity and the third most populous city and fifth most populous urban agglomeration in India. It is located in southern India on the Deccan Plateau at an elevation of over 900 m (3,000 ft) above sea level, which is the highest among India's major cities. It reflects its m...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Piscine Molitor in 2015 © flickr.com - BikerNormand/cc-by-sa-2.0
Hotel Piscine Molitor in Paris

Piscine Molitor (Grands établissements balnéaires d'Auteuil) is a swimming pool and hotel complex located in Porte Molitor, 16th arrondissement of...

© Ben W Bell/cc-by-sa-3.0
Blickling Hall in Norfolk

Blickling Hall is a stately home which is part of the Blickling estate. It is located in the village of...

Marina © Cristo Vlahos/cc-by-sa-4.0
Cabo San Lucas in Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, commonly called Cabo in American English, is a city at the southern tip of the Baja California...

Schließen