St. Michael’s Church in Hamburg

Friday, 11 October 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Hamburg

Port of Hamburg and St. Michael's Church © Dietmar Rabich/cc-by-sa-4.0

Port of Hamburg and St. Michael’s Church © Dietmar Rabich/cc-by-sa-4.0

St. Michael’s Church (German: Hauptkirche Sankt Michaelis), colloquially called Michel, is one of Hamburg‘s five Lutheran main churches (Hauptkirchen) and one of the most famous churches in the city. St. Michaelis is a landmark of the city and it is considered to be one of the finest Hanseatic Protestant baroque churches. The church was purposely built Protestant unlike many other Hamburg churches which were originally built by Roman Catholics and were converted to Protestantism during the Reformation. It is dedicated to the Archangel Michael. A large bronze statue, standing above the portal of the church shows the archangel conquering the devil. The 132-meter high Baroque spire totally covered with copper is a prominent feature of Hamburg’s skyline and has always been a landfall mark for ships sailing up the river Elbe.

The present church building is the third one at this site. The first one was built from 1647 to 1669. It became the church of the new town (Neustadt), which was created in 1625 inside the new city walls, and which grew steadily since. In 1687, the Michel became the fifth chapter church (Hauptkirche), as the new town (Neustadt) became a parish. That church was destroyed on March 10, 1750, by a lightning strike. The original church has been replicated and built in 9 different cities around the world. In 1786, a new construction following the design of Johann Leonhard Prey and Ernst Georg Sonnin was completed. This is the church as we know it today. It was reconstructed twice in the 20th century: after catching fire in 1906 during construction work and after the bombings of 1944 and 1945. After the 1906 fire, the photos of Wilhelm Weimar were used to help recreate the church. Since 1983, renovation is ongoing: first the spire and then the roof. The composer and pianist Johannes Brahms was baptized on May 26, 1833 in this church and confirmed at the age of fifteen by Pastor von Ahlsen, who had married Brahms’s parents.

© Heidas/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Aliasdoobs/cc-by-sa-4.0 baroque pulpit © Freepenguin/cc-by-sa-3.0 Interior © Je-str/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Pauli-Pirat/cc-by-sa-4.0 Port of Hamburg and St. Michael's Church © Dietmar Rabich/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Port of Hamburg and St. Michael's Church © Dietmar Rabich/cc-by-sa-4.0
Offering 2,500 seats, the Michel is the largest church in Hamburg. The church has a Latin cross plan with 44 m width, 52 m length and 27 m height. The 132-meter-high, characteristic steeple dominates the skyline of the city and was considered as an orientation mark for ships sailing on the river Elbe. In 83 meters, the tower platform offers an excellent panoramic view over the city and the harbour, can be climbed, but there also is a lift. The clock in the church tower is the largest of its kind in Germany. The church has five organs including a Marcussen organ and a large Steinmeyer organ with its 85 registers, 5 manuals and 6674 pipes. On 9 October 2008, St. Michael’s received a new crypt organ, named after Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy. The pulpit is in the center of the building which was crafted out of marble by sculptor Otto Lessing from Dresden in 1910. It was designed to look like a rounded chalice and features a magnificent staircase. The large pulpit roof is crowned by the Angel of Annunciation. Made from white marble, the baptismal font was crafted in Livorno in 1763 and donated by Hamburg merchants who lived there at that time. The baptismal font is reminiscent of a seashell and supported by three baptism angels. The altar is 20 meters tall and was built from costly marble in 1910. The altar features three sections illustrating key scenes from the life of Jesus Christ. The central image portrays the Resurrection of Jesus and, below it, a relief depicts the Last Supper. Above the central image, there is a large crucifix. Located at the very top, the altar crown takes the form of a dove as a symbol of the Holy Spirit and is surrounded by a radiant circle. To the right and left of the radiant circle, two angels are kneeling and bowing their heads.

In the church crypt, there are 2,425 people interred, including Johann Mattheson and Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach. The grave chambers are deeply excavated for four coffins above the other. During the French occupation of Hamburg in 1813, burials were banned within the city and therefore also in the crypt. In 2004, some of the graves were opened and documented by scientists. In the process, they found some less well-preserved coffins and several intact coffins containing skeletal remains and well-preserved garments and textile upholstery. In the 18th and 19th centuries, wealthy families in Hamburg, fraternities, government offices and those with the benefit of burial funds acquired graves here. Well-preserved coffin carts can still be found in the crypt today. In the days when people were still buried in the crypt, the carts were used to transport the coffins. During the Second World War, the crypt was used as a shelter. In early 2000, the crypt was renovated and is now used for church services and concerts.

Read more on St. Michael’s Church, hamburg-travel.com – St. Michael’s Church and Wikipedia St. Michael’s Church (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Vatican City - Apostolic Palace

Theme Week Vatican City - Apostolic Palace

[caption id="attachment_191885" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pope Benedict XVI during the traditional weekly mess © Oliver-Bonjoch/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Apostolic Palace (Latin: Palatium Apostolicum; Italian: Palazzo Apostolico) is the official residence of the Roman Catholic Pope and Bishop of Rome, which is located in Vatican City. It is also known as the Papal Palace, Palace of the Vatican and Vatican Palace. The Vatican itself refers to the building as the Palace of Sixtus V in honor of Pope Sixtus ...

[ read more ]

Grand Bazaar in Tehran

Grand Bazaar in Tehran

[caption id="attachment_163291" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Antoine Taveneaux/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Grand Bazaar (Persian: Bāzār e Bozorg) is an old historical market in Tehran, the capital of Iran. Located at the Arg Square in Southern Tehran, it is split into several corridors over 10 km in length, each specializing in different types of goods, and has several entrances, with the main being the entrance of Sabze Meydan. In addition to shops, the Grand Bazaar of Tehran has contained banks, mosques...

[ read more ]

The medical and university town of Erlangen

The medical and university town of Erlangen

[caption id="attachment_160669" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Erlangen Castle, seat of the Friedrich-Alexander University © Selby[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Erlangen is a Middle Franconian city in Bavaria. It is located at the confluence of the river Regnitz and its large tributary, the Untere Schwabach. Erlangen has more than 100,000 inhabitants. Erlangen is today dominated by the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and the numerous branch offices of Siemens AG, as well as a large research Institute of the Fraunhofer So...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Sicily - Syrakus

Theme Week Sicily - Syrakus

[caption id="attachment_150932" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - I FRATELLI ANGELO e GIORGIO BONOMO/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Syracuse is a historic city and the capital of the province of Syracuse. The city is notable for its rich Greek history, culture, amphitheatres, architecture, and as the birthplace of the preeminent mathematician and engineer Archimedes. This 2,700-year-old city played a key role in ancient times, when it was one of the major powers of the Mediterranean world. Syracuse is located...

[ read more ]

Verona in Veneto

Verona in Veneto

[caption id="attachment_153585" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Verona Collage © DanieleDF1995[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Verona is a city in the Veneto, northern Italy, with approx. 265,000 inhabitants and one of the seven chef-lieus of the region. It is the second largest city municipality in the region and the third of northeast Italy. The metropolitan area of Verona covers an area of 1,426 km² (550.58 sq mi) and has a population of 714,274 inhabitants. It is one of the main tourist destinations in northern Italy, owing to ...

[ read more ]

The Rhine

The Rhine

[caption id="attachment_153699" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Distance marks along the Rhine indicate distances from this bridge in the City of Constance © Achim Lehle[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Rhine flows from Grisons in the eastern Swiss Alps to the North Sea coast in the Netherlands and is one of the longest and most important rivers in Europe, at about 1,233 km (766 mi), with an average discharge of more than 2,000 m3/s (71,000 cu ft/s). The Rhine and the Danube formed most of the northern inland frontier of ...

[ read more ]

Isles of Scilly

Isles of Scilly

[caption id="attachment_172043" align="aligncenter" width="590"] St. Agnes Lighthouse © Andrewrabbott[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Isles of Scilly are an archipelago off the southwestern tip of Cornwall. One of the islands, St Agnes, is the most southerly point in both England and the United Kingdom, being over 4 miles (6.4 km) further south than the most southerly point of the British mainland at Lizard Point. The population of all the islands is at around 2,300. Scilly forms part of the ceremonial county of Cornwall, and som...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Istanbul - The İstiklal Avenue

Theme Week Istanbul - The İstiklal Avenue

[caption id="attachment_162301" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © CherryX/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]İstiklal Avenue or Istiklal Street (Turkish: İstiklâl Caddesi, French: Grande Rue de Péra, English: Independence Avenue) is one of the most famous avenues in Istanbul, Turkey, visited by nearly 3 million people in a single day over the course of weekends. Located in the historic Beyoğlu (Pera) district, it is an elegant pedestrian street, 1.4 kilometers long, which houses boutiques, music stores, bookstores, ar...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Tenzin Dongag/cc-by-sa-3.0
Mickey’s Diner in Saint Paul

Mickey's Diner is a classic diner in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota. It has been in continuous operation at the same...

© CEphoto - Uwe Aranas/cc-by-sa-3.0
Aachen Cathedral

Aachen Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church in Aachen,Germany, and the see of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Aachen. One...

© Morningstar1814/cc-by-sa-3.0
Routes of El legado andalusi/Al-Andalus

In the 8th century, the Iberian Peninsula saw the arrival of Arabs and Berbers who mixed with the Roman-Visigoth inhabitants,...

Schließen