The Hanseatic city of Wismar

Tuesday, 26 April 2011 - 04:25 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Architecture, General, UNESCO World Heritage

Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI

Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI

Wismar is a small port and Hanseatic League town in northern Germany on the Baltic Sea, in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, about 45 km due east of Lübeck, and 30 km due north of Schwerin. Its natural harbour, located in the Bay of Wismar is well-protected by a promontory. The population was 45,414 in March 2005, more than doubled from 21,902 in 1905.

Representative of Hanseatic League city brick construction as well as the German brick churches, the city has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites since 2002.

The town was the setting of the 1922 vampire movie Nosferatu (in the film however, the town is named “Wisborg”).

The centre of the old town is the huge Market Place, the largest in Germany (10,000 square metres), surrounded by elegant buildings with styles ranging from 14th-century North German Gothic to 19th-century Romanesque revival. The square’s focal point is the Wasserkunst, an elaborate wrought-iron fountain imported from Holland in 1602. The northern side of the square is occupied by the Town Hall, built in neoclassical style in 1817–1819. Another notable building in the square is an ancient Gothic warehouse called Alter Schwede (The Old Swede), erected around 1380.

Market Square © Dr Wilfred Krause Kraemer Street © Rabanus Flavus Alter Schwede © Reinhard Kraasch Water Gate © geocities.com Schabbellhaus - Museum of Local History © Norbert Kaiser Half-timbered house built over Grube Canal © Norbert Kaiser Pharmacy © Raboe001 Water Art © Alexander Koker Water Tower © Jens K Müller Swines Bridge © Jürgen Wachsmuth Old Harbour © Rainer Marks Town Hall © Niteshift/HWI
<
>
Half-timbered house built over Grube Canal © Norbert Kaiser
The 80 m high tower church of St Mary (Marienkirche) is the only remainder of the original Brick Gothic edifice, built in the first half of the 13th century. It suffered heavy damage in World War II, and was deliberately destroyed in 1960 under the East German Communist government.

The church of St Nicholas (Nikolaikirche), built in 1381–1460, with very lofty vaulting, together with the Marienkirche, are regarded as good examples of the influence exercised in these northern provinces by the large church of St Mary in Lübeck.

The elegant cruciform church of St George (St Georgen-Kirche) dates from the first half of the 13th century. It was heavily damaged in World War II and repaired during 1990-2010.

The Fürstenhof, at one time a ducal residence, and later occupied by the municipal authorities, is a richly decorated specimen of the Italian early Renaissance style. Built in 1552–1565, it was restored in 1877–1879. The “Old School”, dating from about 1300, has been restored. The town hall, rebuilt in 1829, contains a collection of pictures. The main gallery for fine arts is the Municipal Gallery “Baumhaus” located in the old harbour area of Wismar.

To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facepage pages/Twitter accounts. Read more on City of Wismar (German only) and Wikipedia Wismar. Learn more about the use of photos.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Beyoğlu in Istanbul

Beyoğlu in Istanbul

[caption id="attachment_192392" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monument of the Republic, to commemorate the founding of modern Turkey in 1923 © Nevit Dilmen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Beyoğlu is a district located on the European side of İstanbul, Turkey, separated from the old city (historic peninsula of Constantinople) by the Golden Horn. It was known as Pera during the Middle Ages, and this name remained in common use until the mid-20th century and the ethnic cleansing of its large Greek population. The distr...

[ read more ]

French Polynesia in the Pacific

French Polynesia in the Pacific

[caption id="attachment_150610" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tahiti - Papeete - Marina Taina © Remi Jouan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]French Polynesia is an overseas collectivity of the French Republic; collectivité d'outre-mer de la République française (COM), sometimes unofficially referred to as an overseas country; pays d'outre-mer (POM). It is composed of 118 geographically dispersed islands and atolls stretching over an expanse of more than 2,000 kilometres (1,200 mi) in the South Pacific Ocean. ...

[ read more ]

Recommended reading: "Managing Your Boss: Specifications"

Recommended reading:

[responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]This book provides valuable insight and practical tips through case studies and examples based on real life experiences of middle and senior managers. While endless material (books, training workshops, seminars and studies) is churned out on leaderships skills, followership, the art of working effectively and harmoniously with superiors is underestimated. Valuable time and energy are spent (at the office water-cooler or family dinner-table) in crying, "Why can't my boss be like me/like my ex-boss - more apprecia...

[ read more ]

The Gulf of Morbihan

The Gulf of Morbihan

[caption id="attachment_168800" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Île-aux-Moines © Pinpin/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Gulf of Morbihan is a natural harbour on the coast of the Département of Morbihan in the south of Brittany. This English name is taken from the French version: le golfe du Morbihan. It is more accurately called 'the Morbihan' directly from its Breton name which is Ar Mor Bihan, meaning 'the little sea' (Compare the Welsh y môr bychan), as opposed to the Atlantic Ocean outside, (Ar Mor Bras). Leg...

[ read more ]

Worcester in the West Midlands

Worcester in the West Midlands

[caption id="attachment_150700" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Guildhall in High Street © Richard Nicholls/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Worcester is a city and the county town of Worcestershire in the West Midlands of England. Worcester is situated some 17 miles (27 km) southwest of the southern suburbs of Birmingham and 23 miles (37 km) north of Gloucester, and has an approximate population of 100,000 people. The River Severn flanks the western side of the city centre, overlooked by the 12th-century Wor...

[ read more ]

Theme Week South Africa - Upington

Theme Week South Africa - Upington

[caption id="attachment_166179" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Upington Central Business District © Rick Walker/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Upington is a town founded in 1884 and located in the Northern Cape province of South Africa, on the banks of the Orange River. The town was originally called Olyfenhoudtsdrif ('Olive wood drift'), due to the abundance of olive wood trees in the area, but later renamed after Sir Thomas Upington, Attorney-General and then Prime Minister of the Cape. It originated as a mission st...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Morocco - Tangier

Theme Week Morocco - Tangier

[caption id="attachment_167316" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lighthouse of Cape Spartel © Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tangier is a major city in northwestern Morocco. It is located on the Maghreb coast at the western entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar, where the Mediterranean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Spartel with the Caves of Hercules. It is the capital of the Tanger-Tetouan-Al Hoceima region, as well as the Tangier-Assilah prefecture of Morocco. The city is currently undergoing rapid de...

[ read more ]

Nahariya in the North District of Israel

Nahariya in the North District of Israel

[caption id="attachment_152017" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Beach at Nahariya Promenade © Maor X/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nahariya is the northernmost coastal city in the Northern District of Israel, with an estimated population of 51,200. Nahariya takes its name from the stream of Ga'aton Rriver, that bisects it. Nahariya is home to some of Israel's leading entrepreneurs: the Strauss, Soglowek and Wertheimer families. Successful private sector industrial enterprises founded in Nahariya are the Strauss dairy ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
University of Bradford - School of Management © Tim Green
Bradford, UNESCO City of Film

Bradford lies at the heart of the City of Bradford, a metropolitan borough of West Yorkshire, in Northern England. It...

Berlin Observatory in Potsdam now hosts Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research © H. Raab
Theme Week Potsdam – Studio Babelsberg, parks and palaces

Potsdam is the capital city of the German federal state of Brandenburg and part of the Berlin/Brandenburg Metropolitan Region. It...

Kings College Chapel West © Andrew Dunn www.andrewdunnphoto.com
Cambridge, a city for all seasons

The city of Cambridge is a university town and the administrative centre of the county of Cambridgeshire, England. It lies...

Schließen