Goodwood House in Chichester

Friday, 10 May 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, Sport

© flickr.com - Ian Stannard/cc-by-sa-2.0

© flickr.com – Ian Stannard/cc-by-sa-2.0

Goodwood House is a country house and estate covering 4,900 hectares (12,000 acres) in Westhampnett, Chichester in West Sussex and is the seat of the Duke of Richmond. The house was built in about 1600 and is a Grade I listed building. The Monarch’s Way long-distance footpath crosses the downs from west to east, passing immediately south of the racecourse. The landscaped park and woodlands of Goodwood are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

The house and its grounds are the site of the annual Goodwood Festival of Speed, whilst elsewhere on the estate the Goodwood Circuit motorsport track at Chichester/Goodwood Airport hosts the annual Goodwood Revival, and the airfield has a Flying School. Goodwood Racecourse hosts “Glorious Goodwood” and a number of other (horse) race meetings. The estate includes two golf courses and a cricket pitch, home to Goodwood Cricket Club, a hotel and a 1,600 ha (4,000 acres) organic farm. The estate employs over 550 people and attracts 800,000 visitors a year. The headquarters of Rolls Royce Motor Cars is on the Estate.

Entrance lodge for Goodwood House © geograph.org.uk - Chris Gunns/cc-by-sa-2.0 Goodwood Cricket Club cricket pitch © Sirwiki01 © flickr.com - Ian Stannard/cc-by-sa-2.0 © geograph.org..uk - Colin Smith/cc-by-sa-2.0 Goodwood Festival of Speed © Troxx
<
>
Entrance lodge for Goodwood House © geograph.org.uk - Chris Gunns/cc-by-sa-2.0
Goodwood House was built circa 1600 and was acquired by Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond in 1697. A South wing was added by Matthew Brettingham and a North wing by James Wyatt. It may be that there was an intention to build the house in a unique octagonal layout, but only three of the eight sides were built and that intention has never been proved. Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond commissioned Sir William Chambers to design the stable block in 1757 and James Wyatt to design the Kennels, originally for use by the Duke’s dogs but now used as a golf club house, in 1787. He also commissioned Goodwood Racecourse, which was established in 1802.

The Goodwood Golf Course was laid out in 1901. Chichester/Goodwood Airport was built during World War II. Goodwood Circuit was laid out around the perimeter of the airfield by Frederick Gordon-Lennox, 9th Duke of Richmond in 1948. In 1982, the Goodwood estate played host to the World Road Cycling Championships.

Read more on Goodwood House and Wikipedia Goodwood House (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post:

European Historic Thermal Towns Association

European Historic Thermal Towns Association

[caption id="attachment_196681" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Gellért Baths in Budapest © Joe Mabel/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Route of Historic Thermal Cities is a Cultural Route of the Council of Europe. The route is supported by the European Historic Thermal Towns Association (EHTTA), founded in 2011, a nonprofit organization with currently 26 members in 11 European countries (including Turkey). In the spring of 2013 EHTTA was awarded the "Cultural Route of Europe" by the "European Institute of C...

[ read more ]

Daytona Beach in Florida

Daytona Beach in Florida

[caption id="attachment_152304" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Welcome to Daytona Beach! © Dan Petreikis/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Daytona Beach is a city in Volusia County, Florida. The city is located approximately 51 miles (82.1 km) northeast of Orlando, 86 miles (138.4 km) southeast of Jacksonville, and 242 miles (389.5 km) northwest of Miami. The city has a population of 61,000. It is a principal city of the Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area, which was home to 495,...

[ read more ]

Theme Week United Arab Emirates - Emirate of Umm al-Quwain

Theme Week United Arab Emirates - Emirate of Umm al-Quwain

[caption id="attachment_168459" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mangroves with the city of Umm al-Quwain © flickr.com - Peter Dowley/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Umm al-Quwain is the least populous of the seven emirates, located in the north of the country. The emirate is ruled by Saud bin Rashid Al Mu'alla. The emirate had 73,000 inhabitants in 2015 and has an area of 750 km2 (290 sq mi). The UAE culture mainly revolves around the religion of Islam and traditional Arab culture. The influence of Islamic and Arab culture...

[ read more ]

Ciudad Bolívar in Venezuela

Ciudad Bolívar in Venezuela

[caption id="attachment_25683" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ciudad Bolívar historical zone © Hiddendaemian/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ciudad Bolívar is the capital of Venezuela's southeastern Bolívar State. It was founded as Angostura in 1764 and renamed in 1846. The town's original name of Angostura was a contraction of its full descriptive name, Santo Tomé de Guayana de Angostura del Orinoco (Saint Thomas of Guiana of the narrows of the Orinoco). The town also gave its name to the Angostura tree which grow...

[ read more ]

Pula on the southern tip of the Istrian peninsula

Pula on the southern tip of the Istrian peninsula

[caption id="attachment_160961" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view © Orlovic/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pula is the largest city in Istria County, situated at the southern tip of the Istrian peninsula, with a population of 57,000. Like the rest of the region, it is known for its mild climate, smooth sea, and unspoiled nature. The city has a long tradition of winemaking, fishing, shipbuilding, and tourism. Pula has also been Istria's administrative centre since ancient Roman times. In 1813, Pula (wi...

[ read more ]

Cagliari, capital of Sardinia

Cagliari, capital of Sardinia

[caption id="attachment_154223" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Flamingoes at Cagliari © Stefano Marrocu/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cagliari is an Italian municipality and the capital of the island of Sardinia, an Autonomous Region of Italy. Cagliari's Sardinian name Casteddu literally means castle. It has nearly 150,000 inhabitants, while its metropolitan area has more than 480,000 inhabitants. It is also the seat of the University of Cagliari. An ancient city with a long history, Cagliari has seen the rul...

[ read more ]

Theme Week South Korea - Daegu

Theme Week South Korea - Daegu

[caption id="attachment_193280" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Dalgubeol Grand Bell at National Debt Repayment Movement Memorial Park © Timber Tank/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Daegu is the fourth-largest after Seoul, Busan, and Incheon, and the third-largest metropolitan area in the nation with over 2.5 million residents. Daegu and surrounding North Gyeongsang Province are often referred to as Daegu-Gyeongbuk, with a total population over 5 million. Daegu is located in south-eastern Korea about 80 km (50 mi) from t...

[ read more ]

Cuneo in Piedmont

Cuneo in Piedmont

[caption id="attachment_160808" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Galimberti Panorama © Alessandro Vecchi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cuneo is a city and comune in Piedmont, Northern Italy, the capital of the province of Cuneo, the third largest of Italy’s provinces by area. It is located at the foot of the Maritime Alps, on the Stura di Demonte river where it emerges from the Valle Stura. Cuneo's specialty is Cuneesi al rhum, chocolates with a unique rum-based filling. The most famous brand is Arione, located in ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0
Neuf-Brisach in Alsace

Neuf-Brisach is a fortified town and commune of the department of Haut-Rhin in the French region of Alsace. The fortified...

© Julian Herzog/cc-by-4.0
Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm

Gamla stan (The Old Town), until 1980 officially Staden mellan broarna (The Town between the Bridges), is the old town...

© Kromme Zand/cc-by-sa-3.0
Hotel New York in Rotterdam

Hotel New York is a hotel in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, based in the former office building of the Holland America...

Schließen