Goygol in Azerbaijan

Wednesday, 7 December 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

Montage of Goygol © Huseyn200021/cc-by-sa-4.0

Montage of Goygol © Huseyn200021/cc-by-sa-4.0

Goygol (also, Xanlar, Chanlar, Helenendorf, and Kol-Yelendorf) is a city and municipality and the capital of the Goygol Rayon in northwestern Azerbaijan. It is about 10 km (6 mi) south of Ganja, Azerbaijan’s second largest city. The city of Göygöl has a population of 37,000. The municipality includes the city of Göygöl and the village of Qızılqaya. An extensive cemetery was excavated in the 1990s, with many bronze weapons (swords, daggers, axes), some jewelry (rings, bracelets, necklaces), and clay black dishes with the geometric designs, some of which are on display at the local museum. Helenendorf was founded in 1819 by Germans from Württemberg, brought as a colony under orders of Czar Alexander to help settle the region that had just been acquired from the Safavid dynasty under the Treaty of Gulistan of 1813.

The town was renamed to Khanlar in 1938 in honor of the Azerbaijani labor organizer Khanlar Safaraliyev. In 1935–1941 the German population was deported to Siberia on Joseph Stalin‘s orders. Traces of the German settlement can be seen in the school buildings and the parish church built in 1854. Emptied houses of the Germans in 1941 were settled by Armenians from surrounding villages (mainly Banants, Murut, Getashen and Voskanapat). So according to the census of 1941-1943, the population of Khanlar was 90 percent Armenian and 10 percent Assyrians. In 1946, Azeris living in the Ararat and Vardenis districts of the Armenian SSR informed the administration of the Azerbaijani SSR of their desire to move to Azerbaijani territory. The officials decided to move them into the empty houses of the Assyrians, who had also been deported to the Altai region after the Germans. From 1946-1978, the proportion of the Azeri population of the city of Khanlar increased to 38 percent, and by 1988 Azeris settled 69 percent of the city. In 1991, all the Armenians were deported (“Operation Ring“). In 2008, Khanlar was renamed Goygol after a nearby lake, Göygöl.

A large wine machinery plant, which aids in the processing of grapes, is located in Khanlar, as was a state-owned cattle-breeding farm (1990).

Read more on VisitBakuAzerbaijan.com – Goygol and Wikipedia Goygol (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The German Colony in Palestine

The German Colony in Palestine

[caption id="attachment_26976" align="aligncenter" width="590"] German Colony Jerusalem - Templer Communal House © Shayzu/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Templers, a religious Protestant sect formed in southern Germany in the 19th century, settled in Palestine at the urging of their leader, Christoff Hoffman, in the belief that living in the Holy Land would hasten the second coming of Christ. The Templers built a colony in keeping with strict urban planning principles and introduced local industries that brought mode...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Alexander Garden in Moscow

Alexander Garden in Moscow

[caption id="attachment_201562" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Fountain 'Four Seasons of the Year' © SiefkinDR/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alexander Gardens was one of the first urban public parks in Moscow, Russia. The park comprises three separate gardens, which stretch along all the length of the western Kremlin wall for 865 metres (2,838 ft) between the building of the Moscow Manege and the Kremlin. After the Napoleonic Wars, Tsar Alexander I ordered architect Joseph Bové to reconstruct parts of the ci...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Weston-super-Mare in North Somerset

Weston-super-Mare in North Somerset

[caption id="attachment_153728" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grand Pier © Geof Sheppard/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Weston-super-Mare is a seaside resort, town and civil parish in the unitary authority of North Somerset, which is within the ceremonial county of Somerset. It is located on the Bristol Channel coast, 18 miles (29 km) south west of Bristol, spanning the coast between the bounding high ground of Worlebury Hill and Bleadon Hill. It includes the suburbs of Oldmixon, West Wick and Worle. Its population a...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Myanmar - Mandalay

Theme Week Myanmar - Mandalay

[caption id="attachment_196304" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mandalay Hill © Stefan Fussan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mandalay is the second-largest city and the last royal capital of Myanmar (Burma). Located 716 km (445 mi) north of Yangon on the east bank of the Irrawaddy River, the city has a population of 1,225,553. Mandalay is the economic centre of Upper Burma and considered the centre of Burmese culture. A continuing influx of Chinese immigrants, mostly from Yunnan, in the past 20 years, has reshaped the ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Oestrich-Winkel in the Rheingau

Oestrich-Winkel in the Rheingau

[caption id="attachment_161044" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vinyards and Vollrads Castle © Brühl[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Oestrich-Winkel is a town in the Rheingau-Taunus district in the Darmstadt region in Hesse and is characterized by winegrowing. The Rheingau Music Festival has its office in Oestrich in a former winery, the presshouse (Kelterhalle) converted to a hall for intimitate concerts and events. The Oestricher Kran, Oestrich’s main landmark, is a former wine-loading crane from the 18th century for lo...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Chelsea in London

Chelsea in London

[caption id="attachment_171541" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Clabon Mews © flickr:com - Cristian Bortes/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chelsea is an affluent area in West London, bounded to the south by the River Thames. Its frontage runs from Chelsea Bridge along the Chelsea Embankment, Cheyne Walk, Lots Road and Chelsea Harbour. Its eastern boundary was once defined by the River Westbourne, which is now in a pipe above Sloane Square tube station. The modern eastern boundary is Chelsea Bridge Road and the lower half o...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Murmansk on the Arctic Circle

Murmansk on the Arctic Circle

[caption id="attachment_153914" align="aligncenter" width="590"] K-322 Cachalot, a Russian Northern Fleet AKULA class nuclear-powered attack submarine underway on the surface© US Navy[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Murmansk is a port city and the administrative center of Murmansk Oblast, located in the extreme northwest part of Russia, on the Kola Bay, an inlet of the Barents Sea, a marginal sea of the Arctic Ocean, on the northern shore of the Kola Peninsula, close to the Russia's borders with Norway and Finland. Despite its extrem...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Galicia - Monforte de Lemos

Theme Week Galicia - Monforte de Lemos

[caption id="attachment_150872" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Barfly2001[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Monforte de Lemos is a city and municipality in the province of Lugo. It covers an area of 200 km² and lies 62 km from Lugo. It has a population of 19,500. Monforte de Lemos is located in a valley between the rivers Minho and Sil. The river Cabe, a tributary of Sil, runs through the city. It is the core of the region known as Terra de Lemos and capital of the area known as Ribeira Sacra or Terras de Lemos. During the ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Tomb of Saint Nicholas © Sjoehest/cc-by-sa-3.0
Myra in Lycia

Myra was an ancient Greek town in Lycia where the small town of Kale (Demre) is situated today, in present-day...

Highrises across Deer Lake © Vranak/cc-by-sa-3.0
Burnaby in British Columbia

Burnaby is a city in Canada, located immediately to the east of Vancouver. It is the third-largest city in British...

Celebrity Equinox in San Miguel de Cozumel © Ricraider/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Celebrity Equinox

Celebrity Equinox is a Solstice-class cruise ship built by Meyer Werft in Germany. Celebrity Equinox is the second of the...

Schließen