Fort Boyard on the west coast of France

Wednesday, 15 May 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

© Patrick Despoix/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Patrick Despoix/cc-by-sa-4.0

Fort Boyard is a fort located between the Île-d’Aix and the Île d’Oléron in the Pertuis d’Antioche straits, on the west coast of France and is the filming location for the TV gameshow of the same name. Though a fort on Boyard bank was suggested as early as the 17th century, it was not until the 1800s under Napoleon Bonaparte that work began. Building started in 1801 and was completed in 1857. In 1967, the final scene of the French film Les aventuriers was filmed at the remains of the fort.

Fort Boyard is oval-shaped, 68 metres (223 ft) long and 31 m (102 ft) wide. The walls were built 20 m (66 ft) high. At the centre is a yard, and the ground floor provided stores and quarters for the men and officers. The floor above contained casemates for the emplacements of guns and further quarters. Above that were facilities for barbette guns and mortars.

The construction of the fort was first considered during a build-up of the French armed forces undertaken by Louis XIV between 1661 and 1667. Fort Boyard was to form a line of fortification with Fort Enet and Fort de la Rade on Île-d’Aix to protect the arsenal of Rochefort from Royal Navy incursions. Due to the limited range of artillery in the 17th century, the fields of fire between the fortifications on the islands of Aix and Oléron did not overlap. A fort on Boyard bank, roughly midway between the two, would have filled that gap. In 1692 the French engineer Descombs began planning the programme of building the fort; however, once it became clear how expensive it would be the scheme was abandoned. Vauban, Louis XIV’s leading military engineer, famously advised against it, saying “Your Majesty, it would be easier to seize the moon with your teeth than to attempt such an undertaking in such a place”.

Cabanas and Fort Boyard © Ibex73/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Bmarceau/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Cobber17/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Ibex73/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Patrick Despoix/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Sepijak/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Cabanas and Fort Boyard © Ibex73/cc-by-sa-4.0
After a British raid on Île-d’Aix in 1757, plans for a fort on Boyard bank were once again considered. Though plans were drawn up, the logistical problems again ensured it was abandoned. Efforts were renewed under Napoleon Bonaparte in 1800, and the following year engineers Ferregeau and Armand Samuel de Marescot, and Vice-Admiral François Étienne de Rosily-Mesros designed a fort to be built on the bank. To facilitate the work, a port was established on île d’Oléron. The village of Boyardville was built for the workers. The first stage of construction was to establish a plateau, some 100 by 50 m (330 by 160 ft), to act as foundations. To this end, stones were piled up on the bank.

The project was suspended in 1809. Construction resumed in 1837, under Louis-Philippe, following renewed tensions with the United Kingdom. The fortifications were completed in 1857, with sufficient room for a garrison of 250 men. However, by the time of its completion, the range of cannons had significantly increased, making the fort unnecessary for national defence. After 1871, Fort Boyard was briefly used as a military prison, before being abandoned in 1913. As time went by, the fort slowly crumbled and deteriorated into the sea as it was left unmaintained. In 1950 it was made a listed building, and in 1961 was sold to Charente Maritime Regional Council.

Read more on Wikipedia Fort Boyard (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post:

The French Quarter in New Orleans

The French Quarter in New Orleans

[caption id="attachment_171934" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bourbon Street © flickr.com - Lars Plougmann/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The French Quarter, also known as the Vieux Carré or the Vieux Carre Historic District, is the oldest section of the city of New Orleans. After New Orleans (La Nouvelle-Orléans in French) was founded in 1718 by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, it developed around the Vieux Carré ("Old Square" in English), a central square. The district is more commonly called the French Quar...

[ read more ]

Victoria in British Columbia

Victoria in British Columbia

[caption id="attachment_185235" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Empress © Miladlaferrari/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Victoria, the capital city of the Canadian province of British Columbia, is on the southern tip of Vancouver Island off Canada's Pacific coast. The city has a population of 86,000, while the metropolitan area of Greater Victoria has a population of 383,000, making it the 15th most populous Canadian metropolitan area. The city of Victoria is the 7th most densely populated city in Canada with 4,405....

[ read more ]

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Baikonur

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Baikonur

[caption id="attachment_191970" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Baikonur Cosmodrome Museum © flickr.com - Ninara/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Baikonur, formerly known as Leninsk (see Tyuratam), is a city of republic significance on the Northern bank of the Syr Darya river, rented and administered by the Russian Federation. It was constructed to service the Baikonur Cosmodrome and was officially renamed Baikonur by Russian president Boris Yeltsin on December 20, 1995. During the Soviet period, it was sometimes referred t...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Dar Młodzieży

The sail training ship Dar Młodzieży

[caption id="attachment_168181" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Patrick Wernhardt/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dar Młodzieży (Polish: Gift of the Youth) is a Polish sail training ship designed by Zygmunt Choreń. A prototype of a class of six, the following five slightly-differing units were built subsequently by the same shipyard for the merchant fleet of the former Soviet Union. Her sister ships are Mir, Druzhba, Pallada, Khersones and Nadezhda. [gallery size="medium" gss="1" ids="168179,168180,168181"]Th...

[ read more ]

The HMS Warrior 1860

The HMS Warrior 1860

[caption id="attachment_153010" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Portsmouth Historic Dockyard © geograph.org.uk - Steve Daniels[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]HMS Warrior was the first armour-plated, iron-hulled warship, built for the Royal Navy in response to the first ironclad warship, the French Gloire, launched a year earlier. When completed in October 1861, Warrior was the largest, fastest, most heavily armed and most heavily armoured warship the world had seen. She was almost twice the size of Gloire and thoroughly outclassed ...

[ read more ]

The island of Kos

The island of Kos

[caption id="attachment_153528" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port of Kos © Karelj[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kos or Cos is a Greek island in the south Sporades group of the Dodecanese, next to the Gulf of Gökova/Cos. It measures 40 kilometres (25 mi) by 8 kilometres (5.0 mi), and is 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) from the coast of Bodrum, Turkey and the ancient region of Caria. Administratively the island forms a separate municipality within the Kos peripheral unit, which is part of the South Aegean Periphery. The principal town of ...

[ read more ]

Dunmore Pineapple in Airth

Dunmore Pineapple in Airth

[caption id="attachment_26757" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © giannandrea[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Dunmore Pineapple, a folly ranked "as the most bizarre building in Scotland", stands in Dunmore Park, approximately one kilometre northwest of Airth and the same distance south of Dunmore in the Falkirk council area. Dunmore Park, the ancestral home of the Earls of Dunmore, includes a large country mansion, Dunmore House, and grounds which contain, among other things, two large walled gardens. Walled gardens were ...

[ read more ]

Portrait: The Reformer Martin Luther

Portrait: The Reformer Martin Luther

[caption id="attachment_169010" align="aligncenter" width="586"] Martin Luther (1529) by Lucas Cranach the Elder[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Martin Luther (10 November 1483 – 18 February 1546), O.S.A., was a German professor of theology, composer, priest, monk and a seminal figure in the Protestant Reformation. Luther came to reject several teachings and practices of the Roman Catholic Church. He strongly disputed the Catholic view on indulgences as he understood it to be, that freedom from God's punishment for sin could be purc...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Dd-ang2s
Great Market Hall in Budapest

The Great Market Hall or Central Market Hall (Hungarian: "Nagyvásárcsarnok") is the largest and oldest indoor market in Budapest. The...

© flickr.com - Ian Stannard/cc-by-sa-2.0
Goodwood House in Chichester

Goodwood House is a country house and estate covering 4,900 hectares (12,000 acres) in Westhampnett, Chichester in West Sussex and...

Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0
Neuf-Brisach in Alsace

Neuf-Brisach is a fortified town and commune of the department of Haut-Rhin in the French region of Alsace. The fortified...

Schließen