Vienna City Prayer House

Wednesday, 14 April 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  4 minutes

© Bic/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Bic/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Stadttempel (English: City Prayer House), also called the Seitenstettengasse Temple, is the main synagogue of Vienna, Austria. It is located in the Innere Stadt 1st district, at Seitenstettengasse 4. The synagogue was constructed from 1824 to 1826. The luxurious Stadttempel was fitted into a block of houses and hidden from plain view of the street, because of an edict issued by Emperor Joseph II that only Roman Catholic places of worship were allowed to be built with facades fronting directly on to public streets. This edict saved the synagogue from total destruction during the Kristallnacht in November 1938, since the synagogue could not be destroyed without setting on fire the buildings to which it was attached. The Stadttempel was the only synagogue in the city to survive World War II, as German paramilitary troops with the help of local authorities destroyed all of the other 93 synagogues and Jewish prayer-houses in Vienna. The Jewish community in Vienna today has about 7,000 members and thus represents the largest part of the Jews living in Austria. The Jewish Museum Vienna offers guided tours of the city temple.

The synagogue was designed in elegant Biedermeier style by the Viennese architect Joseph Kornhäusel, architect to Johann I Joseph, Prince of Liechtenstein, for whom he had built palaces, theaters and other buildings. Construction was supervised by the official municipal architect, Jacob Heinz. Two five-story apartment houses, Numbers 2 and 4 Seitenstettengasse, were built at the same time as the synagogue, designed by the architect to screen the synagogue from the street in compliance with the Patent of Toleration, which permitted members of tolerated faiths to worship in clandestine churches, but not in buildings with facades on public streets. The synagogue is structurally attached to the apartment building at # 4 Seitenstettengasse.

© Politikaner/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Bella47/cc-by-sa-3.0-at © Bic/cc-by-sa-4.0 © C. Cossa/cc-by-sa-3.0-at © Dnalor 01/cc-by-sa-3.0-at © Gryffindor/cc-by-2.5
<
>
© Dnalor 01/cc-by-sa-3.0-at
The synagogue itself is in the form of an oval. A ring of twelve Ionic columns support a two-tiered women’s gallery. Originally, the galleries ended one column away from the Torah Ark, they were later extended to the columns beside the ark to provide more seating. The building is domed and lit by a lantern in the center of the dome, in classic Biedermeyer style. A commemorative glass made at the time of the synagogue’s dedication and etched with a detailed image of the synagogue’s interior is now in the collection of the Jewish Museum (New York).

The synagogue underwent renovation in 1895 and again in 1904 by the Jewish architect Wilhelm Stiassny, adding considerable ornamentation, and, in the opinion of architectural historian Rachel Wischnitzer, “the serene harmony of the design was spoiled by renovations.” Damage inflicted on Kristallnacht was repaired in 1949. The “Stadttempel” was renovated once again in 1963 by Prof. Otto Niedermoser.

Read more on Jewish Community of Vienna and Wikipedia Stadttempel (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Château des Milandes in the Dordogne region

Château des Milandes in the Dordogne region

[caption id="attachment_228889" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Bthv/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Château des Milandes is a manor house in the commune of Castelnaud-la-Chapelle in the Dordogne département (Périgord) of France. Built by François de Caumont around 1489, it was, until 1535, the main house of the lords of Caumont, who preferred to live in this manor house instead of the large, uncomfortable medieval castle of Château de Castelnaud-la-Chapelle. In 1940, the entertainer Josephine Baker r...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Jules Verne, science fiction writer

Portrait: Jules Verne, science fiction writer

[caption id="attachment_216502" align="aligncenter" width="421"] Félix Nadar (1820-1910) portraits Jules Verne[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jules Gabriel Verne was a French novelist, poet, and playwright. His collaboration with the publisher Pierre-Jules Hetzel led to the creation of the Voyages extraordinaires, a series of bestselling adventure novels including Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1872). Verne is considered to be an i...

[ read more ]

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine

Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine

[caption id="attachment_26842" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine © National Park Service Digital Image Archives[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fort McHenry, in Baltimore in Maryland, is a coastal star-shaped fort best known for its role in the War of 1812, when it successfully defended Baltimore Harbor from an attack by the British navy in Chesapeake Bay September 13–14, 1814. It was during the bombardment of the fort that Francis Scott Key was inspired to write The Star-Spangled B...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Wales - Bangor

Theme Week Wales - Bangor

[caption id="attachment_153084" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The junction of Farrar Road and the High Street © geograph.org.uk - Eric Jones/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bangor is a city in Gwynedd unitary authority, north west Wales, and one of the smallest cities in Britain. It is a university city with a population of 13,725 at the 2001 census, not including around 10,000 students at Bangor University. It is one of only six places classed as a city in Wales, although it is only the 36th largest urban area by pop...

[ read more ]

Vigo in Galicien

Vigo in Galicien

[caption id="attachment_153068" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Centre and harbor © Kanchelskis/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Vigo is a city and municipality situated in north-west Spain, in the Spanish autonomous community of Galicia, and on the ria, or bay, of the same name, on the Atlantic Ocean. Vigo is the most populous city in Galicia, and the 14th in Spain. It is located in the south-west of Galicia, in the southern part of the Vigo Bay. In the north-east it borders with the municipality of Redondela, i...

[ read more ]

Theme Week County Mayo - Killala

Theme Week County Mayo - Killala

[caption id="attachment_232344" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Street scene © geograph.org.uk - Liz McCabe/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="Deutsch Female" buttontext="Diesen Beitrag vorlesen"]Killala (Irish: Cill Ala, meaning 'the mottled church') is a village in County Mayo in Ireland, north of Ballina. The railway line from Dublin to Ballina once extended to Killala. To the west of Killala is a Townsplots West (known locally as Enagh Beg), which contains a number of ancient forts. By the end of the 18th century, Killala had established a small sea port, where fishing ...

[ read more ]

The Volkswagen city of Wolfsburg

The Volkswagen city of Wolfsburg

[caption id="attachment_151146" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wolfsburg Skyline © Cubanito[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wolfsburg is located on the River Aller northeast of Braunschweig (Brunswick), and is mainly notable as the headquarters of Volkswagen AG. Wolfsburg is bordered by the districts of Gifhorn and Helmstedt. Wolfsburg was founded on 1 July 1938 as the Nazis' Stadt des KdF-Wagens bei Fallersleben (English: City of the KdF Car at Fallersleben), a planned town around the village of Fallersleben in order to house the ...

[ read more ]

Allenby Street in Tel Aviv

Allenby Street in Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_237933" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Magen David Square © השמח השמח[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Allenby Street (Hebrew: Rekhov Allenby) is a major street in Tel Aviv, Israel. It was named in honor of Field Marshal Viscount Allenby. Allenby Street stretches from the Mediterranean Sea in the northwest to HaAliya Street in the southeast. It was first paved with concrete in 1914. During the day, it is a commercial street with many small businesses and clothing stores. At night, its cafés, ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uruguay - Salto

Theme Week Uruguay - Salto

[caption id="attachment_184160" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Salto © Shant/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Salto is the capital city of the Salto Department in northwestern Uruguay. As of the 2011 census it had a population of 104,028 and is the second most populated city in Uruguay. The city is located on Route 3 about 496 kilometres (308 mi) northwest of Montevideo, and on the east bank of the Río Uruguay across from the city of Concordia in Argentina. About 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) north of the c...

[ read more ]

The Seabourn Sojourn

The Seabourn Sojourn

[caption id="attachment_210358" align="aligncenter" width="590"] in Fremantle, Australia © Bahnfrend/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Seabourn Sojourn is a luxury cruise ship operated by Seabourn Cruise Line. It is very similar to Seabourn Odyssey. The ship was ordered for building in the shipyard of T. Mariotti S.p.A. in Genoa Italy. She is the flagship of Seabourn. In December 2017, the ship underwent a six-day refit in Freeport, Bahamas. The Seabourn Sojourn was ordered in November 2008. The ship has a length o...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Church of the Beatitudes © Berthold Werner
Mount of Beatitudes on the northwestern shore of the Sea of Galilee

The Mount of Beatitudes is a hill in the Northern District of Israel, in the Korazim Plateau. It is where...

Pubs at Grassmarket © Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0
Grassmarket in Edinburgh

The Grassmarket is a historic market place and an event space in the Old Town (UNESCO World Heritage Site) of...

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-3.0
Souq Waqif in Doha

Souq Waqif ("the standing market") is a marketplace (souq) in Doha, in the state of Qatar. The souq is noted...

Close