Warsaw Old Town

Friday, 19 October 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Architecture, UNESCO World Heritage
Reading Time:  8 minutes

Castle Square © Adrian Grycuk/cc-by-sa-3.0-pl

Castle Square © Adrian Grycuk/cc-by-sa-3.0-pl

The Warsaw Old Town is the oldest part of Warsaw, the capital city of Poland. It is bounded by the Wybrzeże Gdańskie, along with the bank of Vistula river, Grodzka, Mostowa and Podwale Streets. It is one of the most prominent tourist attractions in Warsaw. The heart of the area is the Old Town Market Place, rich in restaurants, cafés and shops. Surrounding streets feature medieval architecture such as the city walls, the Barbican and St. John’s Cathedral. Warsaw’s Old Town has been placed on the UNESCO‘s list of World Heritage Sites as “an outstanding example of a near-total reconstruction of a span of history covering the 13th to the 20th century.

The Old Town was established in the 13th century. Initially surrounded by an earthwork rampart, prior to 1339 it was fortified with brick city walls. The town originally grew up around the castle of the Dukes of Mazovia that later became the Royal Castle. The Market Square was laid out sometime in the late 13th or early 14th century, along the main road linking the castle with the New Town to the north. Until 1817 the Old Town’s most notable feature was the Town Hall built before 1429. In 1701 the square was rebuilt by Tylman Gamerski, and in 1817 the Town Hall was demolished. Since the 19th century, the four sides of the Market Square have borne the names of four notable Poles who once lived on the respective sides: Ignacy Zakrzewski (south), Hugo Kołłątaj (west), Jan Dekert (north) and Franciszek Barss (east).

In the early 1910s Warsaw Old Town was the home of the prominent Yiddish writer Alter Kacyzne, who later depicted life there in his 1929 novel “The Strong and the Weak“. As depicted in the novel, the Old Town at that time was a slum neighborhood, with poor families – some Jewish, other Christian – living very crowded in subdivided tenements which had once been aristocrats’ palaces. Parts of it were bohemian, with painters and artists having their studios, while some streets were a Red-light district housing brothels. In 1918 the Royal Castle once again became the seat of Poland’s highest authorities: the President of Poland and his chancellery. In the late 1930s, during the mayoralty of Stefan Starzyński, the municipal authorities began refurbishing the Old Town and restoring it to its former glory. The Barbican and the Old Town Market Place were partly restored. These efforts, however, were brought to an end by the outbreak of World War II.

During the Invasion of Poland (1939), much of the district was badly damaged by the German Luftwaffe, which targeted the city’s residential areas and historic landmarks in a campaign of terror bombing. Following the Siege of Warsaw, parts of the Old Town were rebuilt, but immediately after the Warsaw Uprising (August–October 1944) what had been left standing was systematically blown up by the German Army. A statue commemorating the Uprising, “the Little Insurgent,” now stands on the Old Town’s medieval city wall. After World War II, the Old Town was meticulously rebuilt. In an effort at anastylosis, as many as possible of the original bricks were reused. However, the reconstruction was not always accurate to prewar Warsaw, sometimes deference being given to an earlier period, an attempt being made to improve on the original, or an authentic-looking facade being made to cover a more modern building. The rubble was sifted for reusable decorative elements, which were reinserted into their original places. Bernardo Bellotto‘s 18th-century vedute, as well as pre-World War II architecture students’ drawings, were used as essential sources in the reconstruction effort; however, Bellotto’s drawings had not been entirely immune to artistic licence and embellishment, and in some cases this was transferred to the reconstructed buildings.

Royal Castle © Alina Zienowicz/cc-by-sa-3.0 Palace Square © A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0 Old market sqaure © MM Old market square © Michel Zacharz/cc-by-sa-2.5 Old market square © Hiuppo/cc-by-2.5 Kanonia Street © Alina Zienowicz/cc-by-sa-3.0 Castle Square © Adrian Grycuk/cc-by-sa-3.0-pl © panoramio.com - Ben Bender/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Old market square © Michel Zacharz/cc-by-sa-2.5
The Old Town Market Place, which dates back to the end of the 13th century, is the true heart of the Old Town, and until the end of the 18th century it was the heart of all of Warsaw. Here the representatives of guilds and merchants met in the Town Hall (built before 1429, pulled down in 1817), and fairs and the occasional execution were held. The houses around it represented the Gothic style until the great fire of 1607, after which they were rebuilt in late-Renaissance style

Castle Square is a visitor’s first view of the reconstructed Old Town, when approaching from the more modern center of Warsaw. It is an impressive sight, dominated by Sigismund’s Column, which towers above the beautiful Old Town houses. Enclosed between the Old Town and the Royal Castle, Castle Square is steeped in history. Here was the gateway leading into the city called the Kraków Gate. It was developed in the 14th century and continued to be a defensive area for the kings. The square was in its glory in the 17th century when Warsaw became the country’s capital and it was here in 1644 that King Władysław IV erected the column to glorify his father Sigismund III Vasa, who is best known for moving the capital of Poland from Kraków to Warsaw.

Canon Square, behind St. John’s Cathedral, is a small triangular square. Its name comes from the 17th-century tenement houses which belonged to the canons of the Warsaw chapter. Some of these canons were quite famous, like Stanisław Staszic who was the co-author of the Constitution of May 3, 1791. Formerly, it was a parochial cemetery, of which there remains a Baroque figure of Our Lady from the 18th century. In the middle of the square, is the bronze bell of Warsaw, that Grand Crown Treasurer Jan Mikołaj Daniłowicz, founded in 1646 for the Jesuit Church in Jarosław. The bell was cast in 1646 by Daniel Tym – the designer of the Sigismund’s Column. Where the Canon Square meets the Royal Square is a covered passage built for Queen Anna Jagiellon in the late 16th century and extended in the 1620s after Michał Piekarski’s failed 1620 attempt to assassinate King Sigismund III Vasa as he was entering the Cathedral. Also the thinnest house in Warsaw is located there.

Read more on poland.travel – Old Town and Royal Route, WarsawGuide.com – Old Town in Warsaw, InYourPocket.com – Old Town in Warsaw, unesco.org – Historic Centre of Warsaw, Wikivoyage Old and New Town of Warsaw and Wikipedia Warsaw Old Town (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Galeries Lafayette

Galeries Lafayette

[caption id="attachment_152799" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Galeries Lafayette Haussmann © flickr.com - zoetnet/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Galeries Lafayette is an upmarket French department store company located on Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. In 2011, Galeries Lafayette recorded earnings of 2,957 million euro. It is a part of the company Groupe Galeries Lafayette. In 1895, Théophile Bader and his cousin Alphonse Kahn opened a fashion store in a small haberdasher's shop at the corn...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Raymond Loewy, a French-born American industrial designer

Portrait: Raymond Loewy, a French-born American industrial designer

[caption id="attachment_237590" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 1953 Studebaker Commander Starliner © Tysto[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Raymond Loewy was a French-born American industrial designer who achieved fame for the magnitude of his design efforts across a variety of industries. He was recognized for this by Time magazine and featured on its cover on October 31, 1949. He spent most of his professional career in the United States, becoming a naturalized citizen in 1938. Among his designs were the Shell, Exxon, TWA ...

[ read more ]

Kronberg im Taunus

Kronberg im Taunus

[caption id="attachment_160661" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Victoria Park: View from Schiller Lake towards Kronberg Castle © Wolliballa[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kronberg im Taunus is a town in the Hochtaunuskreis district, Hesse. Before 1866, it was in the Duchy of Nassau; in that year the whole Duchy was absorbed into Prussia. Kronberg lies at the foot of the Taunus, flanked in the north and southwest by forests. A mineral water spring also rises in the town. The biggest street festival in the Old Town (around St...

[ read more ]

Necker Island in the Caribbean

Necker Island in the Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_153521" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Necker Island © Legis[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Necker Island is a 74-acre (300,000 m2) island in the British Virgin Islands just north of Virgin Gorda. The island is owned by Sir Richard Branson, Chairman of the Virgin Group and is part of the Virgin Limited Edition portfolio of luxury properties. The entire island operates like a resort and can accommodate up to 28 guests. The island was named after the 17th-century Dutch squadron commander Johannes de Neckere, ...

[ read more ]

Doral in Florida

Doral in Florida

[caption id="attachment_240353" align="aligncenter" width="590"] CityPlace © Ven-Lib/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Doral is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. One of 34 municipalities in the county, it is located 5 miles (8 km) west of Miami International Airport and 13 miles (21 km) west of Downtown Miami. Doral occupies 15 square miles (39 km²) bordered on the west by the Ronald Reagan Turnpike and the Florida Everglades, on the north by the town of Medley, on the east by the Palmetto Expressway an...

[ read more ]

Granada and the Alhambra

Granada and the Alhambra

[caption id="attachment_160467" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Aerial view of the Alhambra © Mike Lehmann[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Granada is a city and the capital of the province of Granada, in the autonomous community of Andalusia, Spain. The city of Granada is placed at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains, at the confluence of three rivers, Beiro, Darro and Genil, at an elevation of 738 metres above sea level yet only one hour from the Mediterranean coast, the Costa Tropical. Nearby is the Sierra Nevada Ski Station, ...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Max Planck, originator of quantum theory

Portrait: Max Planck, originator of quantum theory

[caption id="attachment_234765" align="aligncenter" width="420"] Max Planck, c. 1930 © library.si.edu - Transocean Berlin[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck ForMemRS was a German theoretical physicist whose discovery of energy quanta won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918. Planck made many substantial contributions to theoretical physics, but his fame as a physicist rests primarily on his role as the originator of quantum theory, which revolutionized human understanding of atomic and subatomic pr...

[ read more ]

Cape Town City Hall

Cape Town City Hall

[caption id="attachment_235492" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Magemu/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cape Town City Hall is a large Edwardian building in Cape Town city centre which was built in 1905. It is located on the Grand Parade to the west of the Castle and is built from honey-coloured oolitic limestone imported from Bath in England. The building was designed as the result of a public competition, the winning architects being Messrs Harry Austin Reid and Frederick George Green, with the contractors be...

[ read more ]

Alcochete on Tejo river

Alcochete on Tejo river

[caption id="attachment_151582" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old part of the city © Joaquim Alves Gaspar/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alcochete is a municipality in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 17,569, in an area of 128.36 km². The municipality is composed of three parishes and is located in Setúbal District. The largest outlet mall in the Iberian Peninsula, Freeport Designer Outlet, is just outside town. Alcochete is known for its bullfighting tradition and its proximity to the longest bridge in...

[ read more ]

Palma Soriano in Cuba

Palma Soriano in Cuba

[caption id="attachment_239268" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Municipal party headquarters © Ambm1969/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Palma Soriano is a Cuban city and municipality in the Santiago de Cuba Province. With a population of 125,385 in the city proper, it is the second-largest in the province and the 16th-largest in Cuba. The city was founded in 1825, uniting ranches (haciendas) that stood in this area, and was the place where the body of José Martí (the leader of the Cuban independence movement, ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Hadrian bronze bust from Tel Shalem © Oren Rozen/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week West Jerusalem – Israel Museum

The Israel Museum was established in 1965 as Israel's national museum. It is situated on a hill in the Givat...

Military Demarcation Line © Kallgan
Joint Security Area between North and South Korea

The Joint Security Area (JSA) is the only portion of the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) where North and South Korean...

© Tango7174/cc-by-sa-4.0
Matera in Southern Italy

Matera is a city in the province of Matera in the region of Basilicata, in Southern Italy. It is the...

Close