Unter den Linden and Friedrichstraße

Wednesday, 14 March 2012 - 01:13 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Berlin, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks, Shopping
Reading Time:  4 minutes

UNTER DEN LINDEN

Brandenburg Gate © Norbert Aepli

Brandenburg Gate © Norbert Aepli

Unter den Linden (“under the linden trees”) is a boulevard in the Mitte district of Berlin, the capital of Germany. It is named for its linden (lime in British English) trees that line the grassed pedestrian mall between two carriageways.

Unter den Linden runs east–west from the site of the former Stadtschloss royal palace at the Lustgarten park, where the demolished Palast der Republik used to be, to Pariser Platz and Brandenburg Gate. Eastward the boulevard crosses the Spree river at Berlin Cathedral and continues as Karl-Liebknecht-Straße. The western continuation behind Brandenburg Gate is Straße des 17. Juni. Major north–south streets crossing Unter den Linden are Friedrichstraße and Wilhelmstrasse.

Since 1937, the numbering has started at the Schlossbrücke (Palace Bridge), connecting Unter den Linden with the Lustgarten and Museum Island. The disputed replica of the Alte Kommandantur is No. 1, vis-à-vis the Zeughaus arsenal, the oldest building on Unter den Linden, built between 1695 and 1706, today the seat of the Deutsches Historisches Museum (No. 2). Buildings along the street include (from east to west) the Kronprinzenpalais (former palace of the Hohenzollern crown princes, No. 3), the Neue Wache war memorial built in 1817 (No. 4), considered by many[who?] to be Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s masterpiece. Furthermore on Bebelplatz the Berlin State Opera (No. 7), colloquially called Lindenoper, St. Hedwig’s Cathedral and the Altes Palais (No. 9), favoured residence of Emperor Wilhelm I; in the north the main building of the Humboldt University (No. 6) and House I of the Berlin State Library (No. 8). On the western end are the Russian Embassy (former Soviet Embassy, No. 63-65) the Hungarian Embassy (No. 76) at the corner of Wilhelmstrasse and finally the Hotel Adlon (No. 77) at the corner of Pariser Platz, which has been completely rebuilt on the site of the prewar hotel. Well-known statues of Alexander and Wilhelm von Humboldt in front of the university as well as of the Prussian generals Scharnhorst and Bülow also adorn the street.

Read more on BerlinBestPlaces.com and Wikipedia Unter den Linden. Photos by Wiki Commons.




Unter den Linden - Crown Princess Palais / Opera Palais © Beek100 Unter den Linden - House of Europe - Information Office of the EU Commission in Germany © Beek100 Unter den Linden - Humboldt University © Mussklprozz Unter den Linden - Old Arsenal © Beek100 Unter den Linden - Old City Palace © Beek100 Pariser Platz - Hotel Adlon © Raimond Spekking / CC-BY-SA-3.0 Brandenburg Gate © Norbert Aepli Friedrichstraße - Commercial Building © Beek100 Friedrichstraße - Quartier 205 © Beek100 Friedrichstraße - Quartier 206 © Beek100 Friedrichstraße - Galeries Lafayette © Beek100 Friedrichstraße - The Westin Grand © Beek100 Friedrichstraße - Commercial Building © Beek100
<
>
Unter den Linden - House of Europe - Information Office of the EU Commission in Germany © Beek100

FRIEDRICHSTRAßE

Friedrichstraße - Galeries Lafayette © Beek100

Friedrichstraße – Galeries Lafayette © Beek100

For an exclusive shopping experience in Mitte try the Friedrichrichstadtpassagen and its ‘Quartiers’. Quartier 206 for upmarket high-end international designer wear in an art deco atmosphere or the French emporium Galeries Lafayette, in Quartier 207. The spectacular building by Jean Nouvel is known for its stunning luminous glass cone in the entrance. More stores and a large food hall with abundant international specialties in Quartier 205 provide an ideal lunch-break stopover. The three buildings are located between the subway stations “Stadtmitte” and “Französische Strasse”.

Read more on berlin.de – Shopping, BerlinBestPlaces.com and Wikipedia Friedrichstraße. Photos by Wiki Commons.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Limerick on Shannon river

Limerick on Shannon river

[caption id="attachment_148929" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Shannon and St. John's Castle © fitm[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Limerick is the capital of County Limerick in the province of Munster in the southwest of Ireland and has 53,000 inhabitants. It is the historical center of the region and in some fields the center for the West of Ireland, particularly when it comes to tourism along the coast and the national parks in the West and South-East. Limerick is a good start and end point for the exploration of the widely spre...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Balearic Islands - Ibiza

Theme Week Balearic Islands - Ibiza

[caption id="attachment_152424" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ibiza Town © Forbfruit/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ibiza is a Spanish island in the Mediterranean Sea 79 km off the coast of the city of Valencia in Spain. It is the third largest of the Balearic Islands. With Formentera, it is one of the two Pine Islands or Pityuses. Its largest cities are Ibiza Town (Catalan:Vila d'Eivissa or simply Vila), Santa Eulària des Riu and Sant Antoni de Portmany. Its highest point, called Sa Talaiassa or Sa Talaia, is 475 m...

[ read more ]

The sailing yacht Maltese Falcon

The sailing yacht Maltese Falcon

[caption id="attachment_152793" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © symaltesefalcon.com[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Maltese Falcon built by Perini Navi in Tuzla, Turkey is a ship-rigged sailing luxury yacht, commissioned and formerly owned by American venture capitalist Tom Perkins. It is one of the largest privately owned sailing yachts in the world at 88 m (289 ft), similar to Royal Huisman's Athena and Lürssen's Eos. The home port is Valletta on Malta. It was built after the dynaship concept, a 1960s invention of t...

[ read more ]

Sankt Augustin in the Rhineland

Sankt Augustin in the Rhineland

[caption id="attachment_160565" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monastery of Divine Word Missionaries © Marcus Bentfeld[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sankt Augustin is a town in the Rhein-Sieg district, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is named after the patron saint of the Divine Word Missionaries, Saint Augustine of Hippo (354-430). The Missionaries established a monastery near the current city centre in 1913. Sankt Augustin is situated about eight km north-east of Bonn and three km south-west of Siegburg. Its hist...

[ read more ]

The Principality of Andorra

The Principality of Andorra

[caption id="attachment_151441" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Arcalis - Pleta de Castellar © Simonjoan[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Andorra is a small landlocked country in southwestern Europe, located in the eastern Pyrenees mountains and bordered by Spain and France. It is the sixth smallest nation in Europe having an area of 468 km2 (181 sq mi) and an estimated population of 84,082 in 2009. Its capital, Andorra la Vella, is the highest capital city in Europe, being at an elevation of 1023 metres. The official language is Cat...

[ read more ]

The Liberty of the Seas

The Liberty of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_196082" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Andreas Hobi/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Liberty of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean International Freedom-class cruise ship which entered regular service in May 2007. It was initially announced that she would be called Endeavour of the Seas, however this name was later changed. The 15-deck ship accommodates 3,634 passengers served by 1,360 crew. She was built in 18 months at the Aker Finnyards Turku Shipyard, Finland, where her sist...

[ read more ]

Port Everglades on the Atlantic

Port Everglades on the Atlantic

[caption id="attachment_151444" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port Everglades entrance channel © Jpkolo/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Port Everglades is a seaport in Broward County, Florida. As one of South Florida's leading economic powerhouses, Port Everglades is the gateway for international trade and cruise vacations. Currently the third busiest cruise port worldwide, Port Everglades is also the busiest container port in Florida and 10th busiest in the United States, moving more than 1 million TEUs in 2013. Port...

[ read more ]

Manhattanhenge in New York City

Manhattanhenge in New York City

[caption id="attachment_161957" align="aligncenter" width="442"] © Hhawk/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Manhattanhenge — sometimes referred to as the Manhattan Solstice — is an event during which the setting sun is aligned with the east–west streets of the main street grid of Manhattan in New York City. This occurs twice a year, on dates evenly spaced around the summer solstice. The first Manhattanhenge occurs around May 28, while the second occurs around July 12. The dates on which sunrise aligns with the streets on...

[ read more ]

Chicago Board of Trade Building

Chicago Board of Trade Building

[caption id="attachment_165363" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Antoine Taveneaux/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Chicago Board of Trade Building is a skyscraper located in Chicago. It stands at 141 W. Jackson Boulevard at the foot of the LaSalle Street canyon, in the Loop community area in Cook County. Built in 1930 and first designated a Chicago Landmark on May 4, 1977, the building was listed as a National Historic Landmark on June 2, 1978. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 16, 19...

[ read more ]

Independence in Missouri

Independence in Missouri

[caption id="attachment_240843" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Harry S. Truman's Independence home, now part of the Harry S. Truman National Historic Site© Nationalparks/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Independence is the 5th most populous city in Missouri and the county seat of Jackson County. Independence is a satellite city of Kansas City, Missouri, and is the largest suburb on the Missouri side of the Kansas City metropolitan area. In 2020, it had a total population of 123,011. Independence is known as the ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Town Hall © TH Korr
Kempten in Allgäu

Kempten (Allgäu) is the largest town in Allgäu, a region in the south-west of Bavaria, Germany. The population was ca...

View on Lake Lugano and Monte San Salvatore © Valser
The city of Lugano

Lugano is a city of 54,667 inhabitants in the city proper and a total of over 145,000 people in the...

Sandringham House © geograph.org.uk - Elwyn Thomas Roddick
Sandringham House on the Royal Sandringham Estate

Sandringham House is a country house on 8,000 hectares (20,000 acres) of land near the village of Sandringham in Norfolk,...

Close