Tverskaya Street in Moscow

Friday, 10 August 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  7 minutes

Tverskaya Street, seen from Manezhnaya Square © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0

Tverskaya Street, seen from Manezhnaya Square © flickr.com – Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0

Tverskaya Street, known between 1935 and 1990 as Gorky Street, is the main radial street in Moscow. The street runs Northwest from the central Manege Square in the direction of Saint Petersburg and terminates at the Garden Ring, giving the name to Tverskoy District. The route continues further as First Tverskaya-Yamskaya Street, Leningradsky Avenue and Leningradskoye Highway.

Tourists are told that Tverskaya Street existed as early as the 12th century. Its importance for the medieval city was immense, as it connected Moscow with its superior, and later chief rival, Tver. At that time, the thoroughfare crossed the Neglinnaya River. The first stone bridge across the Neglinnaya was set up in 1595. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Tverskaya Street was renowned as the centre of Moscow’s social life. The nobility considered it fashionable to settle in this district. Among the Palladian mansions dating from the reign of Catherine the Great are the residence of the mayor of Moscow (1778–82, rebuilt in ), and the English Club (1780s). The mayor’s residence among a number of other historic buildings was moved about 14 meters for the widening of the Gorky Street during Stalin’s time. On the square before it stands a statue of the legendary founder of Moscow, Yuri Dolgoruky, erected for the city’s 800th anniversary. During the imperial period, the importance of the thoroughfare was highlighted by the fact that it was through this street that the tsars arrived from the Northern capital to stay at their Kremlin residence. Several triumphal arches were constructed to commemorate coronation ceremonies. In 1792, the Tverskaya Square was laid out before the residence of the governor of Moscow as a staging ground for mass processions and parades. In 1947, the square was decorated with an equestrian statue of Prince Yury Dolgoruky, founder of Moscow.

During Pushkin‘s time, the Tverskaya was lined with five churches. The poet wove his impressions from the street into the following stanza of Eugene Onegin:

The columns of the city gate,
Gleam white; the sleigh, more swift than steady,
Bumps down Tverskaya Street already.
Past sentry-boxes now they dash,
Past shops and lamp-posts, serfs who lash,
Their nags, huts, mansions, monasteries,
Parks, pharmacies, Bukharans, guards,
Fat merchants, Cossacks, boulevards,
Old women, boys with cheeks like cherries,
Lions on gates with great stone jaws,
And crosses black with flocks of daws.

Towards the end of the 19th century, the street was reconstructed, with stately neoclassical mansions giving way to grandiose commercial buildings in an eclectic mixture of historical styles. A characteristic edifice of the time is the eclectic Hotel National, Moscow (1901-1903), whose interior is a landmark of Russian Art Nouveau. In 1888 the actor, theatre director and founder of the Moscow Art Theatre, Constantin Stanislavski, rented the Ginzburg House on the street and had it converted into a luxurious clubhouse with its own large stage and several exhibition rooms, in order to house his newly formed Society of Art and Literature. The Society gave its last performance there on 3 January 1891 and the building burnt down on the night of January 10.

© Oleg Yu.Novikov/cc-by-3.0 © Shakko/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Pravdaverita/cc-by-3.0 © Mos.ru/cc-by-4.0 © Humanitas2016/cc-by-sa-4.0 Tverskaya Street, seen from Manezhnaya Square © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Tverskaya Street, seen from Manezhnaya Square © flickr.com - Jorge Láscar/cc-by-2.0
Between the Russian Revolution of 1917 and the rise of Stalinist architecture in mid-1930s, the street acquired three modernist buildings – constructivist Izvestia Building by Grigory Barkhin (1925–1927, Pushkin Square), Central Telegraph Building (1927-29, 7 Tverskaya), a modernist masterpiece by Ivan Rerberg, and a stern “black cube” of the Lenin Institute in Tverskaya Square (1926) by Stepan Chernyshyov. The street was renamed in 1932 for Maxim Gorky, the Russian writer and revolutionary admired by both Vladimir Lenin and Josef Stalin. Further expansion occurred in line with Joseph Stalin‘s 1935 master plan. During that period, all the churches and most other historic buildings were torn down in order to widen the street and replace low-rise buildings with larger, early Stalinist apartment blocks and government offices. Arkady Mordvinov, who handled this ambitious project, retained some historical buildings, like the ornately decorated Savvinskoye Podvorye by Ivan Kuznetsov. This building was moved to a new foundation North from the new street line, and is now completely enclosed inside Mordvinov’s Stalinist block at 6, Tverskaya Street. The project was only partially completed before World War II; more Stalinist blocks appeared in the 1940s and 1950s, still leaving a lot of 19th-century buildings. Most of them were torn down later, with a few exceptions like Yermolova Theatre still standing. Intourist Hotel, a 23-story tower built in 1970, has been demolished in 2002 and replaced with an equally controversial hotel block. When Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev assumed power, he encouraged a return to the country’s old Russian names. Thus, the street’s name became “Tverskaya Street” again, after a 55-year interlude as Gorky Street.

Tverskaya Street runs from the Manege Square through the Tverskoy District and the crossing with the Boulevard Ring, known as Pushkin Square, to the Garden Ring. Its extension, First Tverskaya-Yamskaya Street, continues further on Northwest right up to Belorussky Rail Terminal (Tverskaya Zastava Square), changing its name again into Leningradsky Prospekt. It keeps the same direction before diverging into Volokolamskoye Shosse and Leningradskoye Shosse (Leningrad Highway). Tverskaya Street is the most expensive shopping street in Moscow and Russia. According to an index published by global real estate company Colliers International in 2008, it is now the third most expensive street in the world, based on commercial rental fees. It is the center of the city’s nightlife and entertainment.

Read more on Wikipedia Tverskaya Street (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Queensland - Fraser Island

Theme Week Queensland - Fraser Island

[caption id="attachment_168837" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - Korkut Tas/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fraser Island is located along the southeastern coast of the state of Queensland in Australia. It is approximately 250 kilometres (160 mi) north of the state capital, Brisbane. It is a locality within the Fraser Coast local government in the Wide Bay–Burnett region. Its length is about 120 kilometres (75 mi) and its width is approximately 24 kilometres (15 mi). It was inscribed as a UNESCO World...

[ read more ]

Saint-Tropez

Saint-Tropez

[caption id="attachment_159873" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Saint_Tropez church © MartinPutz[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint-Tropez is a town, 104 km to the east of Marseille, in the Var department of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region of southeastern France. It is also the principal town in the canton of Saint-Tropez. It is located on the French Riviera, and it is known today for its famous and extremely wealthy summertime guests. It has been dubbed the 'playground to jetsetters, fashion models, and millionaires', and...

[ read more ]

Seville Cathedral

Seville Cathedral

[caption id="attachment_217646" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ingo Mehling/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the See (Spanish: Catedral de Santa María de la Sede), better known as Seville Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Seville, Andalusia, Spain. It was registered in 1987 by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, along with the adjoining Alcázar palace complex and the General Archive of the Indies. It is the fourth-largest church in the world (its size remains a matter of debate...

[ read more ]

The Motor City of Detroit

The Motor City of Detroit

[caption id="attachment_3587" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="Oscar Mayer Wienermobile - Henry Ford Museum © Cory Doctorow"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="Deutsch Female" buttontext="Diesen Beitrag vorlesen"]Detroit is the major city among the primary cultural, financial, and transportation centers in the Metro Detroit area, a region of 5.2 million people. As the seat of Wayne County, the city of Detroit is the largest city in the U.S. state of Michigan and serves as a major port on the Detroit River connecting the Great Lakes system to the Saint Lawrence Seaway. It was fou...

[ read more ]

Jelgava in Semigalia

Jelgava in Semigalia

[caption id="attachment_159857" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jelgava Castle © Marcin Szala/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jelgava is a city in central Latvia about 41 kilometres (25 miles) southwest of Riga with about 63,000 inhabitants. It is the largest town in the region of Zemgale (Semigalia). Jelgava was the capital of the united Duchy of Courland and Semigallia (1578-1795) and the administrative center of the Courland Governorate (1795-1918). Jelgava is situated on a fertile plain rising only 3.5 metre...

[ read more ]

Bundeswehr Military History Museum

Bundeswehr Military History Museum

[caption id="attachment_161274" align="aligncenter" width="590"] MHM Dresden © Kolossos[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Bundeswehr Military History Museum (German: Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr) is the military museum of the German Armed Forces, the Bundeswehr, and one of the major military history museums in Germany. The museum is under the technical and administrative chain of command of the German Armed Forces Military History Research Office. It is located in a former military arsenal in the Albertstadt neighborh...

[ read more ]

Piraeus on the east coast of the Saronic Gulf

Piraeus on the east coast of the Saronic Gulf

[caption id="attachment_161094" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mikrolimano © Templar52[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Piraeus is a port city in the region of Attica. Piraeus is located within the Athens-Piraeus Urban Area, 12 km southwest from its city center (municipality of Athens), and lies along the east coast of the Saronic Gulf. According to the 2001 census, Piraeus had a population of 175,697 people within its administrative limits, making it the third largest municipality in Greece and the second largest within the...

[ read more ]

Varosha on Cyprus

Varosha on Cyprus

[caption id="attachment_25798" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Yolanda Demetriou/cc-by-sa-1.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Varosha is a quarter in the Cypriot city of Famagusta. By law it belongs to the Republic of Cyprus, but is located within Northern Cyprus. Prior to the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, it was the modern tourist area of Famagusta. Its inhabitants fled during the invasion, and it has remained abandoned ever since. In the 1970s, Famagusta was the number one tourist destination in Cyprus. To cater to...

[ read more ]

The three-masted Thor Heyerdahl

The three-masted Thor Heyerdahl

[caption id="attachment_152649" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Thor Heyerdahl in Kiel © VollwertBIT/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Thor Heyerdahl , originally named Tinka, later Marga Henning, Silke, and Minnow, was built as a freight carrying motor ship with auxiliary sails at the shipyard Smit & Zoon in Westerbroek, Netherlands, in 1930. Her original homeport being Hamburg, she was used for the next 50 years as a freighter. Eventually sailing unter the flag of Panama as Minnow and then awaiting further use i...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Paris

Theme Week Paris

[caption id="attachment_151911" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © Cédric Bonhomme[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Paris is the capital and largest city in France, situated on the river Seine, in northern France, at the heart of the Île-de-France region. The city of Paris, within its administrative limits largely unchanged since 1860, has an estimated population of 2,193,031, but the Paris aire urbaine has a population of 11,836,970, and is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in Europe. An important settl...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Adiel lo/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week West Jerusalem – The Knesset

The Knesset (lit. the gathering or assembly) is the unicameral national legislature of Israel. As the legislative branch of the...

Cella of the Temple of Bel - destroyed in 2015 © Bernard Gagnon/cc-by-sa-3.0
Palmyra in Syria

Palmyra is an ancient Semitic city (Tadmor) in present-day Homs Governorate, Syria. Archaeological finds date back to the Neolithic period,...

© europa.eu
European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture

The European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture - Mies van der Rohe Award is a Prize given biennially by the...

Close