Tudor City in New York

Saturday, 30 July 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Living, Working, Building, New York City
Reading Time:  14 minutes

U.N. Secretariat Building and Dag Hammarskjoeld Library behind Prospect and Tudor Towers © April Anderson/cc-by-sa-4.0

U.N. Secretariat Building and Dag Hammarskjoeld Library behind Prospect and Tudor Towers
© April Anderson/cc-by-sa-4.0

Tudor City is an apartment complex located on the southern edge of Turtle Bay on the East Side of Manhattan in New York City, near Turtle Bay’s border with Murray Hill. It lies on a low cliff, which is east of Second Avenue between 40th and 43rd Streets and overlooks First Avenue. Construction commenced in 1926, making it the first residential skyscraper complex in the world. Tudor City was one of the first, largest, and most important examples of a planned middle-class residential community in New York City. It is named for its Tudor Revival architecture.

Prospect Hill rises eastward from Second Avenue to a granite cliff about 40 feet above First Avenue. Forty-first and 43rd Streets do not reach First Avenue but end at a three-block-long north–south street called Tudor City Place, which crosses 42nd Street on an overpass. The topography provides a measure of seclusion. The area was first developed following the Civil War when the streets between First and Second Avenues were largely built up with brownstone-fronted row houses erected for the middle class. Development of single-family houses in the Tudor City area peaked in 1870. Elevated railway lines were erected on Second and Third Avenues in the late 1870s, and soon afterward the blocks east of First Avenue were taken over by noxious industries: abattoirs and meat packing houses, a gasworks, and a glue factory. Middle-class families abandoned their row houses, which were converted into rooming houses or replaced by tenements. Prospect Hill became a multi-ethnic slum. At the same time, as a result of the increasing shortage of servants and the growth of the automobile industry, Manhattan’s middle and upper classes began to flee to the suburbs. Many workers then commuted by train to the new Grand Central Terminal and the office buildings which sprang up around it. A real estate operator named Leonard Gans believed there was a market for middle-class apartments within walking distance of the terminal, and that Prospect Hill was an advantageous location for it. He persuaded Paine Edson, a long-time employee of The Fred F. French Company, successful developers of both office and residential buildings, who convinced Fred French himself. With Gans’s help, the company quickly acquired nearly a hundred properties. On December 18, 1925, French announced plans for a large residential development on Prospect Hill to serve that market – in Dolkart’s words, “a complex of apartment houses and residence hotels that would be so convenient, well-planned, well-built, and well-priced that middle-class families and single people would be more attracted to these Manhattan buildings than to houses or apartments in the outer boroughs or the suburbs.”

Tudor City was designed as a series of apartment buildings that surround two blockfront-long shared parks. With its buildings arranged roughly in a U-shape open to the west – the tall Windsor, Tudor, and Prospect Towers along the eastern edge and the parks at its center – the complex turned its back on the noisome industrial area then located to the east and created a clearly identifiable neighborhood distinct from the grid around it. The parks were not part of French’s original scheme. In 1926 the company wrote, “after the buildings on 43rd Street and 41st Street and [Prospect and Tudor Towers] have been fully rented, these parks will be developed into possible forty-story hotels.” But French soon changed his mind and by early 1927 made the parks a key part of the development’s advertising campaign. The parks originally encompassed approximately 64,000 square feet (5,900 m²) and followed the precedent of Gramercy Park in that only residents were to be issued keys for entry to them. The North Park was designed by landscape architect Sheffield A. Arnold and laid out during the summer of 1927. A tree-moving machine was used to transplant full-grown trees to the site. The grass, shrubbery, flower beds, and Norway maples and spruce trees were tended by a uniformed and well-trained crew. The park had graveled walks, two timber structures – a pitched-roofed lychgate and a pergola – wooden benches, decorative iron lamp posts, and a central fountain, and was surrounded by a simple iron fence. In contrast, the South Park became a miniature golf course equipped with traps, a water hazard, nighttime illumination, and a professional golfer as an instructor. In 1930 a new course was opened across 41st Street, and the South Park was remade in the style of the North Park. Both parks have since been substantially narrowed and re-landscaped.

From the beginning, the project was referred to as Tudor City, referring to its style of architectural ornament. Known as Tudor Revival, the style mixed the 16th-century English forms Tudor and Elizabethan. In early 20th-century America, these architectural motifs had come to symbolize the comforts of suburban living. Tudor City was conceived as an urban response to the suburban flight of the middle class, and therefore was designed with the architectural forms expected in a suburban development. By the time of Tudor City, the Neo-Tudor style had already been used on a limited number of urban apartment buildings, including Hudson View Gardens in Washington Heights (New York City) and several erected by the Fred F. French Company. The architects and designers of Tudor City, led by chief architect H. Douglas Ives, used a broad range of Tudor Revival details, including towers, gables, parapets, balustrades, chimney stacks, oriels, bay windows, four-centred arches, pinnacles, quatrefoils, fish bladder moldings, Tudor roses, portcullises (a symbol of the Tudor sovereigns), and rampant lions carrying standards. Much of the Tudor effect in Tudor City is gained through the use of carved or cast stone and terracotta detail. The Tudor skyline of the complex is complemented at ground level by a series of stained glass windows ranging from those with lightly tinted non-figural designs to scenes depicting the history of New York. The wooden entrance doors are carved with such Tudor forms as linenfold panels and fish-bladder tracery, and decorated with hardware based on sixteenth-century precedents. Public lobbies include half-timbering, carved woodwork, beamed ceilings, arched openings, plaster friezes and rosettes, and Tudor-style fixtures and furnishings. Although the buildings are unified by the consistent use of Tudor detail, there is a significant amount of variety since no two buildings have the same decoration. The stone, terracotta, woodwork, ironwork, and glass used were of the highest quality.

A penthouse terrace at Windsor Tower © Cc2723/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Gryffindor/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Jim.henderson © Linoleum11/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Mike Peel - www.mikepeel.net/cc-by-sa-4.0 U.N. Secretariat Building and Dag Hammarskjoeld Library behind Prospect and Tudor Towers © April Anderson/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
U.N. Secretariat Building and Dag Hammarskjoeld Library behind Prospect and Tudor Towers © April Anderson/cc-by-sa-4.0
In 1948, the industry on the east side of First Avenue was displaced by construction of the new headquarters for the United Nations, which took four years. In conjunction, both 42nd Street and Tudor City Place were widened, which narrowed the Tudor City parks in both directions, east–west and north–south. Before that, 42nd Street traffic had reached First Avenue via a 40-foot-wide cut through Prospect Hill. On both sides of 42nd Street 30-foot wide roadways climbed the hill, connecting it with Tudor City Place above, which crossed 42nd Street on a masonry overpass. (At 200 feet (61 m) in length, the overpass formed a tunnel over the cut.) Both inclined roadways were lined with buildings. The reconstruction leveled the side roadways, giving 42nd Street its full 100-foot width and eliminating the overpass, which was replaced by the present Tudor City bridge in 1952. The Hotel Tudor, Church of the Covenant, and Woodstock entrances were left five, eleven, and seventeen feet above the new grade, respectively. All three sued the city, received cash awards, and made the necessary architectural changes to lower their entrances. Rows of houses near the top of the hill on both sides had to be sacrificed, and in the 1960s the city replaced them with public parks, adjacent to the private ones.

The last Tudor City building was erected 25 years after the rest of the complex was completed. By 1930, the French Company had acquired all the land on the west side of Tudor City Place (then called Prospect Place) between 40th and 41st Streets half-way to Second Avenue, except for the row house at No. 8, whose owner refused to sell. The company cleared the rest of the plot and built there first a miniature golf course, moved from its original spot in the South Park on the north side of 41st Street, and then, opening in May 1933 and remaining some 20 years, tennis courts (on which Pancho Segura, Bobby Riggs, Bill Tilden, Rudy Vallée, and Katharine Hepburn played exhibition matches). One winter, the courts were flooded to create an ice-skating rink. After the company finally purchased No. 8 in 1945, it waited another decade before building the 14-story, 333-apartment building at No. 2 Tudor City Place, which opened in 1956, lacking the Tudor-style ornament of all the other buildings except the Hotel Tudor.

Tudor City’s 13 buildings, comprising 11 co-op apartment buildings, one all-rental building (The Hermitage), and a transient hotel, are home to 5000 residents. The complex includes several shops and restaurants. The three large towers on Tudor City Place (Prospect Tower, Tudor Tower, and Windsor Tower), Woodstock Tower, and Hatfield House were built as apartment hotels – legally permitted to be taller than conventional apartment houses – most of whose units, including many single rooms called “efficiency” studios, had Murphy beds and serving pantries but no stoves. They were marketed to single people and childless couples, young people who in the past would have lived in brownstone boardinghouses, and as pieds-à-terre for businesspeople and professionals who, rather than commuting daily, would spend one or two nights in town each week. At one time these efficiencies developed a reputation as “love nests” for mistresses and prostitutes. As co-ops, some have been combined into larger apartments. These buildings also included a few apartments with full kitchens, and penthouses with roof terraces. The Manor, The Hermitage, The Cloister, Essex House, Haddon Hall, and Hardwicke Hall were all built as traditional apartment buildings with units ranging in size from studios to six rooms. Tudor City’s original shops included three restaurants (providing room service for a fee), grocery, liquor, and drug stores, barber shop, and beauty parlor. Services included a post office, indoor playground, private nursery, maids, laundry and valet service, private guards, garage, a furniture repair and rug cleaning service, and a radio engineer who would repair and connect aerials. The New York City historic district includes six buildings which predate Tudor City: the Church of the Covenant at 310 East 42nd Street, the Prospect Hill Apartments at 333 East 41st Street, and four brownstones, typical of the dozens on the site before Tudor City, at 337 East 41st Street and 336–340 East 43rd Street. Also included are the two private parks (open to the public 7:00am–10:pm daily) and the two city-owned parks. The U.S. historic district is the same except it excludes No. 2 Tudor City Place and the two city-owned parks.

The Fred F. French Company advertised Tudor City heavily from its initial announcement until 1943. Included in the early campaign were two rooftop signs composed of incandescent light bulbs, one on either side of 42nd Street – on the north roof of Tudor Tower and the south roof of Prospect Tower – that could be seen from blocks away. The former was obscured by The Woodstock, and was removed circa 1933. The latter was retrofitted with neon in 1939; after falling in a storm in September 1949, it was replaced by a new version. This replacement, having lost its lighting tube years ago, is now a neglected rusting iron shell. In 1995, the co-op board of Prospect Tower requested permission from the Landmarks Preservation Commission to remove it, calling it ugly and dangerous, but the commission refused, on the ground of historical significance. As of 2020, the signs’ steel support structure and pan letters have undergone a complete restoration but plans to re-illuminate the sign have not materialized. The sign and its supporting structure have been used many times as a setting for movies, TV, fashion magazines, and commercials.

Read more on Steven Corcora – Tudor City and Wikipedia Tudor City (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Mâcon in Burgundy

Mâcon in Burgundy

[caption id="attachment_151140" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Luciani71/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mâcon is a small city in east-central France. It is the prefecture of the department of Saône-et-Loire, located in Burgundy. Mâcon is home to over 35,000 residents, who are referred to in French as Mâconnais. The area west and north of Mâcon produces well-known wines from the Chardonnay grape. The best known appellation of the Mâconnais is Pouilly-Fuissé. The city lies on the western bank of the Saône rive...

[ read more ]

Rue Gouraud in Beirut

Rue Gouraud in Beirut

[caption id="attachment_214535" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Karan Jain/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rue Gouraud is a mixed residential and commercial street in Gemmayzeh, a neighborhood in the Rmeil district of Beirut in Lebanon. It is named after French General Henri Gouraud. Gemmayze, and Rue Gouraud specifically, competes with the trendy village-type neighborhood of Badaro, as one of Beirut's bohemian quarters. the district is full of narrow streets and historic buildings from the French era. Th...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ibiza - Sant Joan de Labritja

Theme Week Ibiza - Sant Joan de Labritja

[caption id="attachment_152207" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cala de Portinatx © flickr.com - David de Mallorca/cc-by.20[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sant Joan de Labritja (Spanish: San Juan Bautista) is a village and municipality in northern Ibiza. Among others, the resorts of Portinatx and Cala de Sant Vicent are located there. The actual village of Sant Joan is a quiet street, dominated by an imposing Christian church, and is the meeting point of Sant Joan de Labritja Municipal Council. One may find several small ca...

[ read more ]

The Montego Bay on Jamaica

The Montego Bay on Jamaica

[caption id="attachment_151429" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Montego Bay © flickr.com - Annsabananna[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Montego Bay is the capital of St. James Parish and the second largest city in Jamaica by area and the fourth by population (after Kingston, Spanish Town and Portmore). It is a tourist destination with duty free shopping, a cruise line terminal and several beaches. The city is backed by picturesque low mountains. When Christopher Columbus for the first time visited the island in 1494, he name...

[ read more ]

Al-Karak in Jordan

Al-Karak in Jordan

[caption id="attachment_206504" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Al-Karak and Kerak Castle © Berthold Werner/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Al-Karak, known in the Kingdom of Jerusalem as Kerak, is a city in Jordan known for its Crusader castle, the Kerak Castle. The castle is one of the three largest castles in the region, the other two being in Syria. Al-Karak is the capital city of the Karak Governorate. Al-Karak lies 140 kilometres (87 mi) to the south of Amman on the ancient King's Highway. It is situated on a hilltop ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Jutland in Denmark

Theme Week Jutland in Denmark

[caption id="attachment_216646" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Christmas in Aarhus © flickr.com - EHRENBERG Kommunikation/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jutland, known anciently as the Cimbric or Cimbrian Peninsula, is a peninsula of Northern Europe that forms the continental portion of Denmark and part of northern Germany. The names are derived from the Jutes and the Cimbri, respectively. As with the rest of Denmark, Jutland's terrain is flat, with a slightly elevated ridge down the central parts and relatively hilly...

[ read more ]

Virginia Key in Miami

Virginia Key in Miami

[caption id="attachment_206250" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Ebyabe/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Virginia Key is an 863-acre (3.49 km²) barrier island in Miami, Florida, United States in Biscayne Bay, south of Brickell and north of Key Biscayne. It is accessible from the mainland via the Rickenbacker Causeway. The island is mainly occupied by the Virginia Key Beach Park, Miami Seaquarium, Miami-Dade's Central District Wastewater Treatment Plant, and the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmosp...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Wales - Bangor

Theme Week Wales - Bangor

[caption id="attachment_153084" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The junction of Farrar Road and the High Street © geograph.org.uk - Eric Jones/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bangor is a city in Gwynedd unitary authority, north west Wales, and one of the smallest cities in Britain. It is a university city with a population of 13,725 at the 2001 census, not including around 10,000 students at Bangor University. It is one of only six places classed as a city in Wales, although it is only the 36th largest urban area by pop...

[ read more ]

De Koog on the island of Texel

De Koog on the island of Texel

[caption id="attachment_160946" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Public seal feeding at Ecomare © Traitor/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Den Koog is a town in the Dutch province of North Holland. It is a part of the municipality of Texel, and lies about 17 km north of Den Helder. It is the main centre of tourism on the island. The small village is surrounded with many hotels and campgrounds. The village is located on the North Sea coast of the island. Only two narrow lines of dunes separate the village from the beach. ...

[ read more ]

Venetian Islands in Florida

Venetian Islands in Florida

[caption id="attachment_223186" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Westernmost Venetian Islands © Averette/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Venetian Islands are a chain of artificial islands in Biscayne Bay in the cities of Miami and Miami Beach, Florida. The islands are, from west to east: Biscayne Island (Miami), San Marco Island (Miami), San Marino Island (Miami Beach), Di Lido Island (Miami Beach), Rivo Alto Island (Miami Beach), and Belle Isle (Miami Beach). Flagler Monument Island remains an uninhabited picnic island...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - Alexej Mazurkiewicz/cc-by-sa-2.0
Theme Week Belarus – Grodno

Grodno is a city in western Belarus. The city is located at the Neman river, 300 km (186 mi) from...

© Marco Almbauer
Predjama Castle in Slovenia

Predjama Castle (Slovene: Predjamski grad or German: Höhlenburg Lueg is a Renaissance castle built within a cave mouth in south-central...

City Hall © Kazimier Lachnovic/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Belarus – Mogilev

Mogilev is a city in eastern Belarus, on the Dnieper River, about 76 kilometres (47 miles) from the border with...

Schließen