Tripoli in Lebanon

Monday, 15 July 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, UNESCO World Heritage

Tripoli Souk © Bertramz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Tripoli Souk © Bertramz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Tripoli is the largest city in northern Lebanon and the second-largest city in the country. Situated 85 kilometers (53 miles) north of the capital Beirut, it is the capital of the North Governorate and the Tripoli District. Tripoli overlooks the eastern Mediterranean Sea, and it is the northernmost seaport in Lebanon. It holds a string of four small islands offshore, and they are also the only islands in Lebanon. The Palm Islands were declared a protected area because of their status of haven for endangered loggerhead turtles, rare monk seals and migratory birds.

Even though the history of Tripoli dates back at least to the 14th century BCE, the city is famous for having the largest Crusader fortress in Lebanon (the Citadel of Raymond de Saint-Gilles), and it has the second largest amount of Mamluk architectural heritage on earth (behind Cairo).

With the formation of Lebanon and the 1948 breakup of the Syrian-Lebanese customs union, Tripoli, once on par in economic and commercial importance to Beirut, was cut off from its traditional trade relations with the Syrian hinterland and therefore declined in relative prosperity. Tripoli borders the city of El Mina, the port of the Tripoli District, which it is geographically conjoined with to form the greater Tripoli conurbation.

The Clock tower is one of the most iconic monuments in Tripoli. The tower is located in Al-Tell square, and was constructed by the Ottomans as a gift to the city of Tripoli. The Clock tower recently underwent a complete renovation in 1992 with personal funding from the honorary Turkish consul of Northern Lebanon, Sobhi Akkari, and the second at February 2016 as a gift from the Turkish prime minister in cooperation with the Committee of Antiquities and Heritage in the municipality of Tripoli, and now the clock tower is again operational. “Al Manshieh” which is one of the oldest parks in Tripoli, is located next to the clock tower. This clock tower was erected in 1906 to celebrate the 30th year of Abdulhamid II of the Ottoman Empire, like the Jaffa Clock Tower and many others throughout the Empire.

Al-Tell Clock Tower © Tripolious/cc-by-sa-3.0 Citadel of Raymond de Saint-Gilles © Peripitus/cc-by-sa-3.0 Mansouri Great Mosque © Heretiq/cc-by-sa-2.5 Soap Khan © Clemens Schmillen/cc-by-sa-4.0 Tripoli Souk © Bertramz/cc-by-sa-3.0 Taynal Mosque © Ankara/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Citadel of Raymond de Saint-Gilles © Peripitus/cc-by-sa-3.0
When Tripoli was visited by Ibn Batutah in 1355, he described the newly founded Mamluk city. “Traversed by water-channels and full of gardens”, he writes, “the houses are newly built. The sea lies two leagues distant, and the ruins of the old town are seen on the sea-shore. It was taken by the Franks, but al-Malik ath-Tháhir (Qala’un) retook it from them, and then laid the place in ruins and built the present town. There are fine baths here.” Indeed, the hammams built in Tripoli by the early Mamluk governors were splendid edifices and many of them are still present until today. Some of the more known are: Abed, Izz El-Din, Hajeb, Jadid and An-Nouri, built 1333 by the Mamluk governor Nur El-Din, is located in the vicinity of the Grand Mosque.

Oscar Niemeyer was commissioned to design the International Fairgrounds of Tripoli in 1963, but in 1975, Lebanon’s civil war interrupted construction of this modernist landmark. The 10,000 hectare site and its 15 buildings remain today, incomplete concrete structures in our contemporary, labyrinthine times.

Tripoli has many offshore islands. The largest is called today the “Island of Palm Trees” by some, and by others “Rabbits’ Island”. This is the largest of the islands with an area of 20 hectares (49 acres). The name “Araneb” or Rabbits comes from the great numbers of rabbits that were grown on the island during the time of the French mandate early in the 20th century. It is now a nature reserve for green turtles, rare birds and rabbits. Declared as a protected area by UNESCO in 1992, camping, fire building or other depredation is forbidden. In addition to its scenic landscape, the Palm Island is also a cultural heritage site. Evidence for human occupation, dated back to the Crusader period, was uncovered during 1973 excavations by the General Directorate of Antiquities. The Bakar Islands, locally known as Abdulwahab Island, was leased to Adel & Khiereddine Abdulwahab as a shipyard, since the Ottoman rule and till this day a well known ship and marine contractor. It was also known as St Thomas Island during the Crusades. It is the closest to the shore and can be accessed via a bridge that was built in 1998. The Bellan Island’s name comes from a plant found on the island and used to make brooms. Some people claim that the name comes from the word “blue whale” (Baleine in French) that appeared next to the island in early 20th century. Fanar (Lantern) Island is 1,600 meters (5,200 ft) long and is the home of a light-house built during the 1960s.

Read more on lebanon.com – Tripoli, Wikitravel Tripoli, Wikivoyage Tripoli and Wikipedia Tripoli (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Gottorf Castle

Gottorf Castle

[caption id="attachment_152840" align="aligncenter" width="590"] South wing © Eisenkarl1975[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gottorf Castle is a castle and estate in the city of Schleswig, Germany. It is the ancestral home of the Holstein-Gottorp branch of the House of Oldenburg. It is situated on an island in the Schlei, about 40 km from the Baltic Sea. It was first settled as an estate in 1161 as the residence of Bishop Occo of Schleswig when his former residence was destroyed. The Danish Duke of Schleswig acquired it through a purc...

[ read more ]

Sevilla, the artistic, historical, cultural and economic capital of southern Spain

Sevilla, the artistic, historical, cultural and economic capital of southern Spain

[caption id="attachment_160543" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Avenida de la Constitución © Anual[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Seville is the artistic, historic, cultural, and financial capital of southern Spain. It is the capital of the autonomous community of Andalusia and of the province of Seville. It is situated on the plain of the River Guadalquivir. The inhabitants of the city are known as sevillanos (feminine form: sevillanas) or hispalenses, following the Roman name of the city, Hispalis. The population of the city of ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Oman - Khasab

Theme Week Oman - Khasab

[caption id="attachment_161713" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Khasab Castle © StellarD/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Khasab is a city in an exclave of Oman bordering the United Arab Emirates. It is the local capital of the Musandam peninsula and has frequently been dubbed the "Norway of Arabia" because of its extensive fjord-like craggy inlets and desolate mountainscapes. Boats from Khasab take tourists on trips to view the dolphins common in the waters around the Musandam, as well as to visit Telegraph Island, for ...

[ read more ]

Istanbul Sapphire

Istanbul Sapphire

[caption id="attachment_152804" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Mimar77/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Istanbul Sapphire is a skyscraper, and as of 2011, the tallest building in Istanbul and Turkey, located in the central business district of Levent. It is the 7th tallest building in Europe. It is the country's first ecological skyscraper. Sapphire rises 54 floors above ground level, and boasts an above-ground roof height of 238 meters. It is a shopping and luxury residence mixed-use project by Biskon Construction (a...

[ read more ]

Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire

Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire

[caption id="attachment_153789" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Parson's Fee © Francs2000[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Aylesbury is the county town of Buckinghamshire and administrative town of the Aylesbury Vale district in the outskirts of the London commuter belt. Its urban area includes Bierton, Fairford Leys, Stoke Mandeville and Watermead and has a population of 69,000 whereas the town, a civil parish and town council had a population of 56,000 in that year. The grade II* listed Jacobean mansion of Hartwell adjoinin...

[ read more ]

Ponte Vedra Beach in Florida

Ponte Vedra Beach in Florida

[caption id="attachment_209620" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sunrise over Ponte Vedra Beach © flickr.com - Craig ONeal/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ponte Vedra Beach is an unincorporated seaside community in St. Johns County, Florida, United States. Located eighteen miles (29 km) southeast of downtown Jacksonville and 26 miles (42 km) north of St. Augustine, it is part of the Jacksonville Beaches area. The area is known for its resorts including the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club, the Lodge and Club, and the Marriott at...

[ read more ]

The Lake Como

The Lake Como

[caption id="attachment_154242" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Villa d'Este © GhePeU[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lake Como (Lago di Como in Italian) is a lake of glacial origin in Lombardy, Italy. It has an area of 146 km², making it the third largest lake in Italy, after Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore. At over 400 m (1320 ft) deep it is one of the deepest lakes in Europe and the bottom of the lake is more than 200 metres (656 ft) below sea-level. Lake Como has been a popular retreat for aristocrats and wealthy people since Roma...

[ read more ]

Canal Street in Manhattan

Canal Street in Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_163165" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Canal Street, at the corner Baxter Street © Pacific Coast Highway/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Canal Street is a major east-west street in Lower Manhattan, New York City, running from East Broadway between Essex and Jefferson Streets in the east, to West Street between Watts and Spring Street in the west. It runs through the neighborhood of Chinatown, and forms the southern boundaries of SoHo and Little Italy as well as the northern boundary of Tribeca. ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© flickr.com - dronepicr/cc-by-2.0
Isla Mujeres in the Caribbean

Isla Mujeres ("Women Island") is an island in the Gulf of Mexico, about 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) off the Yucatán...

Haiti - Jacmel Seaside © Port-au-princien/cc-by-sa-3.0
Hispaniola in the Caribbean

Hispaniola is an island in the Caribbean island group known as the Greater Antilles. It is the second largest island...

Mariel and Mariel Bay © Alabrada
Mariel in Cuba

Mariel is a municipality and town in the Artemisa Province of Cuba. It is located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi)...

Schließen