The Tiferet Yisrael Synagogue (Ashkenazi Hebrew: Tiferes Yisroel), most often spelled Tiferet Israel, also known as the Nisan Bak Shul, after its co-founder, Nisan Bak, is a former prominent HasidicJewish congregation and synagogue, located in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Designed by Nisan Bak, the former synagogue was completed in 1872 and partially destroyed in 1948.
The synagogue was left as ruins after the recapture of the Old City in the Six-Day War. In November 2012 the Jerusalem municipality announced its approval for plans to rebuild the synagogue. The cornerstone was laid on May 27, 2014. As of September 2024, plans to rebuild the synagogue had commenced, yet were incomplete.
In 1953 Rabbi Mordechai Shlomo Friedman, the BoyanerRebbe of New York, laid foundations for a new Ruzhiner Torah centre in the New City of Jerusalem to replace the destroyed Ruzhiner synagogue. In 1957 the Ruzhiner yeshiva, called Mesivta Tiferes Yisroel, was inaugurated with the support of all of the Rebbes of the Ruzhiner dynasty. A large synagogue was built adjacent to it, also bearing the name Tiferes Yisroel; the current Boyaner Rebbe, Rabbi Nachum Dov Brayer, leads his Hasidut from here. The design of the synagogue, located on the western end of Malkhei Yisrael Street close to the Central Bus Station, includes a large white dome, reminiscent of the domed Tiferet Yisrael Synagogue that was destroyed in the Old City.
[caption id="attachment_183110" align="aligncenter" width="385"] Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen was a German mechanical engineer and physicist, who, on 8 November 1895, produced and detected ...