Theme Week Vatican City – St. Peter’s Square

Wednesday, 26 December 2018 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Architecture, UNESCO World Heritage
Reading Time:  8 minutes

© Greudin

© Greudin

St. Peter’s Square (Italian: Piazza San Pietro) is a large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City, the papal enclave inside Rome, directly west of the neighbourhood or rione of Borgo. Both the square and the basilica are named after Saint Peter, an apostle of Jesus and the first Catholic Pope. At the centre of the square is an ancient Egyptian obelisk, erected at the current site in 1586. Gian Lorenzo Bernini designed the square almost 100 years later, including the massive Doric colonnades, four columns deep, which embrace visitors in “the maternal arms of Mother Church”. A granite fountain constructed by Bernini in 1675 matches another fountain designed by Carlo Maderno in 1613.

The open space which lies before the basilica was redesigned by Gian Lorenzo Bernini from 1656 to 1667, under the direction of Pope Alexander VII, as an appropriate forecourt, designed “so that the greatest number of people could see the Pope give his blessing, either from the middle of the façade of the church or from a window in the Vatican Palace” (Norwich 1975 p 175). Bernini had been working on the interior of St. Peter’s for decades; now he gave order to the space with his renowned colonnades, using a simplified Doric order, to avoid competing with the palace-like façade by Carlo Maderno, but he employed it on an unprecedented colossal scale to suit the space and evoke a sense of awe. There were many constraints from existing structures. The massed accretions of the Vatican Palace crowded the space to the right of the basilica’s façade; the structures needed to be masked without obscuring the papal apartments. The obelisk marked a centre, and a granite fountain by Maderno stood to one side: Bernini made the fountain appear to be one of the foci of the ovato tondo embraced by his colonnades and eventually matched it on the other side, in 1675, just five years before his death. The trapezoidal shape of the piazza, which creates a heightened perspective for a visitor leaving the basilica and has been praised as a masterstroke of Baroque theater, is largely a product of site constraints. According to the Lateran Treaty the area of St. Peter’s Square is subject to the authority of Italian police for crowd control even though it is a part of the Vatican state.

The colossal Doric colonnades, four columns deep, frame the trapezoidal entrance to the basilica and the massive elliptical area which precedes it. The ovato tondo’s long axis, parallel to the basilica’s façade, creates a pause in the sequence of forward movements that is characteristic of a Baroque monumental approach. The colonnades define the piazza. The elliptical center of the piazza, which contrasts with the trapezoidal entrance, encloses the visitor with “the maternal arms of Mother Church” in Bernini’s expression. On the south side, the colonnades define and formalize the space, with the Barberini Gardens still rising to a skyline of umbrella pines. On the north side, the colonnade masks an assortment of Vatican structures; the upper stories of the Vatican Palace rise above.

St. Peter's Square fountain © MarkusMark/cc-by-sa-3.0 St. Peter's Square fountain © Rolf Süßbrich/cc-by-sa-3.0 St. Peter's Square obelisk © Wknight94/cc-by-sa-3.0 St. Peter's Square seen from St. Peter's Basilica © Filip B. Bernini's columns © Radomil/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Greudin St. Peter's Square, Borgo and the center of Rome from St. Peter's Basilica © Thomas Roemer
<
>
St. Peter's Square, Borgo and the center of Rome from St. Peter's Basilica © Thomas Roemer
At the center of the ovato tondo stands an uninscribed Egyptian obelisk of red granite, 25.5 m (84 ft) tall, supported on bronze lions and surmounted by the Chigi arms in bronze, in all 41 m (135 ft) to the cross on its top. The obelisk was originally erected at Heliopolis, Egypt, by an unknown pharaoh. The Emperor Augustus had the obelisk moved to the Julian Forum of Alexandria, where it stood until AD 37, when Caligula ordered the forum demolished and the obelisk transferred to Rome. He had it placed on the spina which ran along the center of the Circus of Nero, where it would preside over Nero’s countless brutal games and Christian executions. It was moved to its current site in 1586 by the engineer-architect Domenico Fontana under the direction of Pope Sixtus V; the engineering feat of re-erecting its vast weight was memorialized in a suite of engravings. The Vatican Obelisk is the only obelisk in Rome that has not toppled since ancient Roman times. During the Middle Ages, the gilt ball on top of the obelisk was believed to contain the ashes of Julius Caesar. Fontana later removed the ancient metal ball, now in a Rome museum, that stood atop the obelisk and found only dust. Christopher Hibbert (page 178) writes that the ball was found to be solid. Though Bernini had no influence in the erection of the obelisk, he did use it as the centerpiece of his magnificent piazza, and added the Chigi arms to the top in honor of his patron, Alexander VII.

The paving is varied by radiating lines in travertine, to relieve what might otherwise be a sea of cobblestones. In 1817 circular stones were set to mark the tip of the obelisk‘s shadow at noon as the sun entered each of the signs of the zodiac, making the obelisk a gigantic sundial‘s gnomon.

St. Peter’s Square today can be reached from the Ponte Sant’Angelo along the grand approach of the Via della Conciliazione (in honor of the Lateran Treaty of 1929). The spina (median with buildings which divided the two roads of Borgo vecchio and Borgo nuovo) which once occupied this grand avenue leading to the square was demolished ceremonially by Benito Mussolini himself on October 23, 1936 and was completely demolished by October 8, 1937. St. Peter’s Basilica was now freely visible from the Castel Sant’Angelo. After the spina, almost all the buildings south of the passetto were demolished between 1937 and 1950, obliterating one of the most important medieval and renaissance quarters of the city. Moreover, the demolition of the spina canceled the characteristic Baroque surprise, nowadays maintained only for visitors coming from Borgo Santo Spirito. The Via della Conciliazione was completed in time for the Great Jubilee of 1950.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Wikipedia Petersplatz. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Lapland - Tornio

Theme Week Lapland - Tornio

[caption id="attachment_229202" align="aligncenter" width="590"] View from Suensaari water tower © Estormiz[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tornio is a city and municipality in Lapland, Finland. The city forms a cross-border twin city together with Haparanda on the Swedish side. The municipality covers an area of 1,348.83 square kilometres (520.79 sq mi), of which 161.59 km² (62.39 sq mi) is water. The population density is 17.97 inhabitants per square kilometre (46.5/sq mi), with a total population of 21,000. It borders the Swedish...

[ read more ]

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, the largest Marian church in Rome

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, the largest Marian church in Rome

[caption id="attachment_25591" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Frontside © JEK/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (English: Basilica of Saint Mary Major), or church of Santa Maria Maggiore, is the largest Catholic Marian church in Rome. Other churches in Rome dedicated to Mary include Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria in Aracoeli, and Santa Maria sopra Minerva, but the greater size of the Basilica of Saint Mary Major justifies the adjective by which it is distinguished from the oth...

[ read more ]

Weihenstephan in Bavaria

Weihenstephan in Bavaria

[caption id="attachment_232136" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Wolfgang Rieger/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Weihenstephan is a part of Freising north of Munich, Germany. It is located on the Weihenstephan Hill, named after the Weihenstephan Abbey, in the west of the city. Freising is the oldest town between Regensburg and Bolzano, and is located on the Isar river in Upper Bavaria, near the Munich International Airport. The city is built on and around two prominent hills: the Cathedral Hill with the former Bishop's...

[ read more ]

The Narrowboats

The Narrowboats

[caption id="attachment_153106" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Modern narrowboats on the Kennet and Avon Canal © Per Palmkvist Knudsen/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]A narrowboat or narrow boat is a boat of a distinctive design, made to fit the narrow canals of Great Britain. In the context of British Inland Waterways, "narrow boat" refers to the original working boats built in the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries for carrying goods on the narrow canals (where locks and bridge holes would have a maximum width of at leas...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Munich - Oktoberfest

Theme Week Munich - Oktoberfest

[caption id="attachment_153429" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bavaria Statue © Hullbr3ach[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Oktoberfest is a 16-18 day festival held each year in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, running from late September to the first weekend in October. It is one of the most famous events in Germany and the world's largest fair, with more than 5 million people attending every year. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the ...

[ read more ]

The superyacht Christina O

The superyacht Christina O

[caption id="attachment_152817" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Christina O at Canary Wharf, London © Amy Reynolds/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Christina O is a private motor yacht. She was originally a Canadian anti-submarine River-class frigate called HMCS Stormont and was launched in 1943. She served as a convoy escort during the Battle of the Atlantic and was present at the D-Day landings. After the end of the Second World War she was one of many surplus naval vessels; Greek shipowner Aristotle Onassis purchased ...

[ read more ]

Cape Ferret on the Atlantic

Cape Ferret on the Atlantic

[caption id="attachment_153200" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cap Ferret Lighthouse © Larrousiney/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cap Ferret (English: Cape Ferret) is a headland, situated at the south end of the commune of Lège-Cap-Ferret in the French department of Gironde and region of Aquitaine. The headland takes the form of a spit, which separates the Atlantic Ocean from Arcachon Bay. At the same time, the entrance to Arcachon Bay separates Cap Ferret from the resort town of Arcachon. Under Napoleon III. the oys...

[ read more ]

Therme Erding, the largest thermal bath complex in Europe

Therme Erding, the largest thermal bath complex in Europe

[caption id="attachment_27443" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Therme Erding/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Therme Erding is the largest thermal bath complex in Europe at 145,000 square metres (36 acres). It is 30 minutes northeast of Munich by car and is visited by around 4000 people every day. On 12 February 1983, the American oil company Texaco drilled 2,350 metres (7,710 ft) below ground, just outside the town of Erding, Bavaria, Germany. Instead of oil, they discovered sulphorous water. Initially a 'mini thermal...

[ read more ]

Arad in Transylvania

Arad in Transylvania

[caption id="attachment_160731" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Classic Theatre 'Ioan Slavici' © B. Proksch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Arad is the capital city of Arad County, situated in the Crişana region of western Romania. An important industrial center and transportation hub on the Mureş River, Arad is also the seat of a Romanian Orthodox archbishop and features two universities, a Romanian Orthodox theological seminary, a training school for teachers and a music conservatory. The city has a population of 147,992, making...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Ticino - Cevio

Theme Week Ticino - Cevio

[caption id="attachment_230921" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Barbara Steinemann/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cevio is the capital of the district of Vallemaggia in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. In 2006 Cevio grew by incorporating the villages of Bignasco and Cavergno, previously municipalities in their own right. The municipality is located in the Vallemaggia district. It is the center of the Rovana sub-district and is located at the confluence of the Maggia and Rovana rivers. Cevio consists of a number ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Offical portrait of Harry S. Truman at White House © Greta Kempton - Harry S. Truman Library
Portrait: Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States of America

Harry S. Truman was the 33rd President of the United States (1945–1953), taking office upon the death of Franklin D....

© Marek.69/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Vatican City – Vatican Gardens

The Gardens of Vatican City (Latin: Horti Civitatis Vaticanae), also informally known as the Vatican Gardens (Italian: Giardini Vaticani) in...

Palace of the Governorate of the Vatican City State © Staselnik/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Vatican City

Vatican City is an independent city-state enclaved within Rome, Italy. Established with the Lateran Treaty (1929), it is distinct from...

Close