Theme Week Hungary – Szeged

Saturday, 25 September 2021 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  7 minutes

Reök Palace © Aron96/cc-by-sa-4.0

Reök Palace © Aron96/cc-by-sa-4.0

Szeged is the third largest city of Hungary, the largest city and regional centre of the Southern Great Plain and the county seat of Csongrád-Csanád county. The University of Szeged is one of the most distinguished universities in Hungary. The Szeged Open Air (Theatre) Festival (first held in 1931) is one of the main attractions, held every summer and celebrated as the Day of the City on 21 May. Today’s Szeged is an important university town and a tourist attraction. The Szeged Symphony Orchestra (Szegedi Szimfonikus Zenekar) gives regular concerts at the Szegedi Nemzeti Színház. Szeged is situated near the southern border of Hungary, just to the south of the mouth of the Maros River, on both banks of the Tisza River, nearly in the centre of the Carpathian Basin. The Hungarian frontier with Serbia is just outside the town.

After the First World War Hungary lost its southern territories to Serbia, as a result Szeged became a city close to the border, and its importance lessened, but as it took over roles that formerly belonged to the now lost cities, it slowly recovered. Following the Loss of Transylvania to Romania, University of Kolozsvár (now Cluj-Napoca), moved to Szeged in 1921 (see University of Szeged). In 1923 Szeged took over the role of episcopal seat from Temesvár (now Timișoara, Romania). It was briefly occupied by the Romanian army during Hungarian-Romanian War in 1919. During the 1920s the Jewish population of Szeged grew and reached its zenith. Szeged suffered heavily during World War II. 6,000 inhabitants of the city were killed, In 1941, there were 4,161 Jews living in Szeged. After, March 19, 1944 German occupation, they were confined to a ghetto together with the Jews from surrounding villages. In June, 1944, the ghetto was liquidated. The Nazis murdered the larger part of the 8,500 and some were forced into forced labor in Strasshof Labor camp, Austria. Szeged was captured by Soviet troops of the 2nd Ukrainian Front on 11 October 1944 in the course of the Battle of Debrecen. During the communist era, Szeged became a centre of light industry and food industry. In 1965 oil was found near the city. In 1962, Szeged became the county seat of Csongrád. Whole new districts were built, and many nearby villages (e.g. Tápé, Szőreg, Kiskundorozsma, Szentmihálytelek, Gyálarét) were annexed to the city in 1973 (as was a tendency during the Communist era).

Town Hall © Chmee2/Valtameri/cc-by-3.0 National Theatre of Szeged © Devilm25/cc-by-sa-3.0 Ferenc Móra Museum © Chmee2/Valtameri/cc-by-3.0 Gróf Palace © Kozma János/cc-by-sa-3.0 Reök Palace © Aron96/cc-by-sa-4.0 Szeged Synagogue © Aron96/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
National Theatre of Szeged © Devilm25/cc-by-sa-3.0
In the second century AD there was a Roman trading post established on an island in the Tisza, and the foundations of the Szeged castle suggest that the structure may have been built over an even earlier fort. Today only one corner of the castle still remains standing.

During the Mongol invasion the town was destroyed and its inhabitants fled to the nearby swamps, but they soon returned and rebuilt their town. In the 14th century, during the reign of Louis the Great, Szeged became the most important town of Southern Hungary, and – as the Turkish armies got closer to Hungary – the strategic importance of Szeged grew. King Sigismund of Luxembourg had a wall built around the town. Szeged was raised to free royal town status in 1498.

Szeged was first pillaged by the Turkish army on 28 September 1526, but was occupied only in 1543, and became an administrative centre of the Ottomans (see Ottoman Hungary). The town was a sanjak centre first in Budin Eyaleti (1543–1596), after in Eğri Eyaleti. The town was freed from Turkish rule on 23 October 1686, and regained the free royal town status in 1715. In 1719, Szeged received its coat of arms (still used today) from Charles III. During the next several years, Szeged grew and prospered. Piarist monks arrived in Szeged in 1719 and opened a new grammar school in 1721. Szeged also held scientific lectures and theatrical plays. These years brought not only prosperity but also enlightenment. Between 1728 and 1744 witch trials were frequent in the town, with the Szeged witch trials of 1728–29 perhaps being the largest. The witch trials were instigated by the authorities, who decided on this measure to remove the problem of the public complaints about the drought and its consequences of famine and epidemics by laying the responsibility on people among them, which had fraternized with the Devil. In 1720, the ethnic Hungarian population of the town numbered about 13000 to 16000, while the number of the Serb inhabitants was 1300.

Szeged is known as the home of paprika, a spice made from dried, powdered capsicum fruits. Paprika arrived in Hungary in the second half of the 16th century as an ornamental plant. About 100 years later the plant was cultivated as an herb, and paprika as we know it. Szeged is also famous for their szekelygulyas, a goulash made with pork, sauerkraut and sour cream. And also famous for their halászlé, fish soup made of carp and catfish.

The citizens of Szeged played an important part in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. Lajos Kossuth delivered his famous speech here. Szeged was the last seat of the revolutionary government in July 1849. The Habsburg rulers punished the leaders of the town, but later Szeged began to prosper again; the railway reached it in 1854, and the town got its free royal town status back in 1860. Mark Pick’s shop – the predecessor of today’s Pick Salami Factory – was opened in 1869.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Szeged, Wikivoyage Szeged and Wikipedia Szeged. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Smithsonian Institution

The Smithsonian Institution

[caption id="attachment_23984" align="alignleft" width="590"] National Mall with 9 of the 14 Smithsonian Museums in Washington, D.C.© flickr.com - Smithsonian Institution/Carl Hansen[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Smithsonian Institution, established in 1846 "for the increase and diffusion of knowledge," is a group of museums and research centers administered by the United States government. Originally organized as the "United States National Museum," that name ceased to exist as an administrative entity in 1967. Termed "the nat...

[ read more ]

Pézenas in the Hérault department

Pézenas in the Hérault department

[caption id="attachment_153168" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Christian Ferrer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pézenas is a commune in the Hérault department in the Languedoc-Roussillon region in southern France. "Pézenas" is derived from the older name Piscenae, probably from the Latin word piscenis, meaning fishpond. According to legend, there was a lake full of fish behind the château. Inhabitants of Pézenas are Piscenois. The origins of Pézenas are unclear, but were influenced by three factors: wat...

[ read more ]

European Museum of the Year Award

European Museum of the Year Award

[caption id="attachment_224331" align="aligncenter" width="590"] European Museum of the Year Award[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Museum of the Year Award (EMYA) is presented each year by the European Museum Forum (EMF) under the auspices of the Council of Europe. The EMYA is considered the most important annual award in the European museum sector. Museums in 47 European countries, all members of the Council of Europe, can take part in the competition if they are newly opened or have undergone modernization or expansion ...

[ read more ]

The Müritz in Mecklenburg Lake District

The Müritz in Mecklenburg Lake District

[caption id="attachment_151326" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Boathouses on Binnensee © Beyer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Müritz is a lake in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, northern Germany. Its area is 117 km², which makes it the second largest lake in Germany (after Lake Constance) and the largest lake entirely within Germany. Its maximum depth is 31 metres. It is fed and drained by the river Elde. Part of the Müritz and adjacent forests and wetlands are protected by the Müritz National Park. Th...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Scotland - East Kilbride

Theme Week Scotland - East Kilbride

[caption id="attachment_152509" align="aligncenter" width="590"] East Kilbride Heritage Park © geograph.org.uk - John McLeish/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]East Kilbride (Scottish Gaelic: Cille Bhrìghde an Ear) is the largest town in the South Lanarkshire council area. It is also designated as Scotland's first new town on 6 May 1947. The area lies on high ground on the south side of the Cathkin Braes, about 9 miles (14 km) southeast of Glasgow and close to the boundary with East Renfrewshire. The town is enclo...

[ read more ]

Europe's End: The North Cape

Europe's End: The North Cape

[caption id="attachment_151704" align="aligncenter" width="590"] North Cape © W. Rebel[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nordkapp (or North Cape in English) is a municipality in Finnmark county, Norway. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Honningsvåg. Nordkapp (originally named Kjelvik) was separated from Porsanger on 1 July 1861. The western part of the island of Magerøya was transferred from the municipality of Måsøy to Nordkapp on 1 January 1984. The municipality encompasses mainly the island of Mager...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Josephus

Portrait: Josephus

[caption id="attachment_231463" align="aligncenter" width="466"] Josephus - Fictional portrait in William Whinston's English translation of 'Antiquitates'[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Titus Flavius Josephus was a first-century Romano-Jewish historian and military leader, best known for The Jewish War, who was born in Jerusalem—then part of Roman Judea—to a father of priestly descent and a mother who claimed royal ancestry. He initially fought against the Romans during the First Jewish–Roman War as head of Jewish force...

[ read more ]

Newport in Rhode Island

Newport in Rhode Island

[caption id="attachment_152284" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Newport Sailing 2009 © chensiyuan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Newport is a city on Aquidneck Island in Newport County. It is located 23 miles (37 km) south of Providence, and 61 miles (98 km) south of Boston. Known as a New England summer resort and for the famous Newport Mansions, it is the home of Salve Regina University and Naval Station Newport which houses the United States Naval War College, the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, and a major United St...

[ read more ]

Commissioners’ Plan of 1811 for Manhattan

Commissioners’ Plan of 1811 for Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_201612" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Central Park is by far the largest interruption of the Commissioners' Plan © Piotr Kruczek[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Commissioners' Plan of 1811 was the original design for the streets of Manhattan above Houston Street and below 155th Street, which put in place the rectangular grid plan of streets and lots that has defined Manhattan to this day. It has been called "the single most important document in New York City's development," and the plan has been descr...

[ read more ]

Santorini in the southern Aegean Sea

Santorini in the southern Aegean Sea

[caption id="attachment_153486" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Fira © Hans Peter Schaefer - www.reserv-a-rt.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santorini is an island located in the southern Aegean Sea, about 200 km (120 mi) southeast from Greece's mainland. It is the largest island of a small, circular archipelago which bears the same name and is the remnant of a volcanic caldera. It forms the southernmost member of the Cyclades group of islands, with an area of approximately 73 km2 (28 sq mi) and a 2001 census population of 13,670...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
General view of sanctuary of Demeter and Kore and the Telesterion center for the Eleusinian Mysteries © flickr.com - Carole Raddato/cc-by-sa-2.0
Eleusis on the Saronic Gulf

Eleusis is a suburban town and municipality in West Attica Regional unit in Greece. It is situated about 18 kilometres...

Town Hall on Main Square © David Sallay
Theme Week Hungary – Nyíregyháza

Nyíregyháza is a city in northeastern Hungary and the county capital of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg. With a population of 118,001, it is...

Benjamin Franklin College courtyard © Helpfullguy99/cc-by-sa-4.0
Yale University in New Haven

Yale University is a private Ivy League research university in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701 as the Collegiate School,...

Schließen