Theme Week Navarre – Tafalla

Wednesday, 23 November 2022 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Iñaki LL

© Iñaki LL

Tafalla is a town and municipality located in the province and autonomous community of Navarre, northern Spain. Tafalla is an industrial and agricultural town. It produces beef, mutton, pork and chicken.

The first historical mention of Tafalla dates from the tenth century when it was named in the Chronicle of Arib Ibn Said, which recounts a raid on Tafalla by Abd al-Rahman III during a campaign against the Kingdom of Pamplona, in the year 924. The town was located in the Basque region. In the year 1043 after the victory of King García III de Nájera with the help of the Tafallese against Ramiro I of Aragón and allied Arabs, the Tafallese were granted the title of Noble, Loyal and Strong. The battle took place in the field of Barranquiel. Immediately following this victory there is mention of the Pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Virgin of Ujué. Sancho Ramírez granted Tafalla its first charter, which was later confirmed by Sancho the Wise in 1157 and Theobald II (in 1255). Sancho VII the Strong granted another charter to the Tafallese, freeing them of all taxes and real service, by means of stipulated census. Carlos III the Noble granted the privilege to keep holiday in the year 1418, and in 1423 he granted them a seat in the Cortes, among the “Good Towns,” and exempting the Tafallese from all servitude, while declaring them free men. In the Civil War of Navarre, Tafalla sided with the Beaumont confederacy, defending the rights of Carlos Prince of Viana, although after the Castilian-Aragonese invasion it defended the legitimate kings of Navarre against the invaders.

© Zarateman © Pere López Brosa/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Iñaki LL © Zarateman © Iñaki LL © Zarateman
<
>
© Pere López Brosa/cc-by-sa-3.0
Felipe IV granted to Tafalla the title of city with seat in Courts in the year 1636. During the War of Independence the city was an important strategic place due to its proximity to Pamplona and was occupied by the French in 1808, turning it into a barracks. Cruchaga in 1811 and finally Espoz y Mina in 1811 and 1812 penetrated the city. In a bombing carried out by the latter, the convent of San Francisco and the Castle-Palace built in the fifteenth century by order of Charles III the Noble were destroyed., as residence of the Navarrese kings. The remains that were left were demolished to build the current Plaza de Navarra in 1856. That same strategic importance also had Tafalla during the Carlist Wars. Tafalla was declared head of the Judicial Party by the Cortes of Navarre in 1836. Tafalla suffered major floods in 1833 when the Congosto dam was broken and in 1886, with significant losses.

In the last two thirds of the century the necessary steps were taken to provide the city with modern urban services, such as the installation of public lighting with oil lanterns (1843), the serenos (1846) were established, the Plaza de Navarra (1856), the railway that connects Pamplona and the Ebro (1860), the telegraph (1862) was inaugurated, the bridge was opened in 1866 to link the station and the city on the Zidacos river and the light was installed years later electrical (1895). Between the last years of the 19th century and the first of the twentieth century had opened the Spanish Casino (1922), the Gorriti Theater (1909), which was closed in 1986, bus lines had been organized and two schools had been established, the College of PP Piarists (1883) and the San José School of the Daughters of the Cross (1888).

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Tafalla and Wikipedia Tafalla. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Tunisia

Theme Week Tunisia

[caption id="attachment_168254" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Beach in Hammamet © Faresbenrayana/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tunisia is a country in North Africa, covering 165,000 square kilometres (64,000 square miles). Its northernmost point, Cape Angela, is the northernmost point on the African continent, only 140 km south of Sicily. It is bordered by Algeria to the west and southwest, Libya to the southeast, and the Mediterranean Sea to the north and east. Tunisia's population is at 11.3 million. Tunisia's nam...

[ read more ]

Coventry, city of peace and reconciliation

Coventry, city of peace and reconciliation

[caption id="attachment_151982" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Swanswell Gate © G-Man[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Coventry is a city and metropolitan borough in the county of West Midlands in England. Coventry is the 9th largest city in England and the 11th largest in the United Kingdom. It is also the second largest city in the English Midlands, after Birmingham, with a population of 300,848, although both Leicester and Nottingham have larger urban areas. The population of Coventry has risen to 309,800 as of 2008. Coventry is ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Israel - Abu Ghosh

Theme Week Israel - Abu Ghosh

[caption id="attachment_165392" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Entrance to Church of the Resurrection © JDesplats/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Abu Ghosh is a local council in Israel, located 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) west of Jerusalem on the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway. It is situated 610–720 meters above sea level. It takes its current name from the dominant clan inhabiting the town, while the older Arabic name used to be Qaryat al-'Inab ("Grape Village"). Abu Ghosh is part of the Jerusalem District. The Population i...

[ read more ]

Hudson Yards in Midtown Manhattan

Hudson Yards in Midtown Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_206609" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vessel sculpture © flickr.com - Ajay Suresh/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hudson Yards is a neighborhood on the West Side of Midtown Manhattan, bounded roughly by 30th Street in the south, 43rd Street in the north, the West Side Highway in the west, and Eighth Avenue in the east. The area is the site of a large-scale redevelopment program that is being planned, funded, and constructed under a set of agreements among the State of New York, City of New York, a...

[ read more ]

Palma de Mallorca

Palma de Mallorca

[caption id="attachment_228534" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaça de Cort © Joergsam/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Palma (also known as Palma de Mallorca, officially between 1983–88, 2006–08, and 2012–16) is the capital and largest city of the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands in Spain. It is situated on the south coast of Mallorca on the Bay of Palma. The Cabrera Archipelago, though widely separated from Palma proper, is administratively considered part of the municipality. As of 2018, Palma Air...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Dresden - The Semperoper

Theme Week Dresden - The Semperoper

[caption id="attachment_25448" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Sebastian Terfloth/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Semperoper is the opera house of the Sächsische Staatsoper Dresden (Saxon State Opera) and the concert hall of the Sächsische Staatskapelle Dresden (Saxon State Orchestra). It is also home to the Semperoper ballet. The building is located on the Theatre Square in central Dresden on the bank of the Elbe River in the historic centre of Dresden. The opera house was originally built by the architect Gottfri...

[ read more ]

Paphos, European Capital of Culture 2017

Paphos, European Capital of Culture 2017

[caption id="attachment_168902" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sheriffing Paphos © panoramio.com - An. Antoniou/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Paphos is a coastal city in the southwest of Cyprus and the capital of Paphos District. In antiquity, two locations were called Paphos: Old Paphos, today at Kouklia, and New Paphos. The current city of Paphos lies on the Mediterranean coast, about 50 km (30 mi) west of Limassol (the biggest port on the island), which has an A6 highway connection. Paphos International Airport is...

[ read more ]

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

St. Vincent and the Grenadines

[caption id="attachment_151086" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mayreau - Saline Bay © Moiom[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is an island country in the Lesser Antilles chain, namely in the southern portion of the Windward Islands, which lie at the southern end of the eastern border of the Caribbean Sea where the latter meets the Atlantic Ocean. Its 389-square-kilometre (150 sq mi) territory consists of the main island of Saint Vincent and the northern two-thirds of the Grenadines, which are a chain ...

[ read more ]

Bibliotheca Alexandrina

Bibliotheca Alexandrina

[caption id="attachment_163015" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Argenberg/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Bibliotheca Alexandrina is a major library and cultural center located on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea in the Egyptian city of Alexandria. It is both a commemoration of the Library of Alexandria that was lost in antiquity, and an attempt to rekindle something of the brilliance that this earlier center of study and erudition represented. The idea of reviving the old library dates back to 1974, w...

[ read more ]

Montmartre in Paris

Montmartre in Paris

[caption id="attachment_27339" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Montmartre, dominated by the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur © Christophe Meneboeuf - www.pixinn.net/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Montmartre is a large hill (French butte Montmartre) in Paris's 18th arrondissement. It is 130 metres high and gives its name to the surrounding district, part of the Right Bank in the northern section of the city. The historic district established by the City of Paris in 1995 is bordered by rue Caulaincourt and rue Custine on the...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Josephus - Fictional portrait in William Whinston's English translation of 'Antiquitates'
Portrait: Josephus

Titus Flavius Josephus was a first-century Romano-Jewish historian and military leader, best known for The Jewish War, who was born...

Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario © Zarateman/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Navarre – Villava-Atarrabia

Villava (Basque: Atarrabia) is a town and municipality located in the province and autonomous community of Navarre, northern Spain. The...

Glendale Glitters around Christmas © Gage Skidmore/cc-by-sa-3.0
Glendale in Arizona

Glendale is a city in Maricopa County, Arizona, United States, located approximately 9 miles (14 km) northwest of Downtown Phoenix....

Schließen