Theme Week Lithuania – Kėdainiai

Saturday, 25 June 2022 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  4 minutes

City Hall and Monument of Radziwiłł © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0

City Hall and Monument of Radziwiłł © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0

Kėdainiai is one of the oldest cities in Lithuania. It is located 51 km (32 mi) north of Kaunas on the banks of the Nevėžis River. First mentioned in the 1372 Livonian Chronicle of Hermann de Wartberge, its population as of 2020 is 23,667. Its old town dates to the 17th century. The city is the administrative centre of the Kėdainiai District Municipality. The geographical centre of the Lithuanian Republic is in the nearby village of Ruoščiai, located in the eldership of Dotnuva.

The area was the site of several battles during “The Deluge”, the 17th century war between the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and Sweden. In 1655 a short-lived treaty with Sweden, the Union of Kėdainiai, was signed by two members of Radziwiłł family in their Kėdainiai castle. While little remains of the Radziwiłł castle, the crypt of the Calvinist church (1631) houses the family mausoleum, including the tombs of Krzysztof Radziwiłł and his son Janusz. Scottish Protestants arrived in the late 16th and 17th centuries, encouraged by the conversion of Anna Radziwill; the community exerted considerable influence in the city and persisted until the mid-19th century. The grouping of the buildings around the town square still include the imposing homes of merchants known as the “Scottish Houses”. These include; the George Anderson House, the John Arnot House, the George Bennet House, the James Gray House, the Steel Property, and the surviving basement of the Alexander Gordon house. A local custom called on all visitors to bring a stone to be used in the town’s construction.

Evangelical church © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0 Nevėžis river © Hugo arg/cc-by-sa-3.0 Kedainiai minaret © Arvydas Svirka/cc-by-sa-4.0 Old town © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0 Old town © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0 City Hall and Monument of Radziwiłł © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
City Hall and Monument of Radziwiłł © Algirdas/cc-by-sa-3.0
During Operation Barbarossa, Kėdainiai was occupied by the German Army in the summer of 1941. On August 28, 1941, the entire Jewish community of Kėdainiai, a community which had inhabited the area for 500 years, were killed under the direction of German Special Police Battalions, with the aid of the local Lithuanian population. The Jewish population prior to the Holocaust was 3000.

During the Cold War it was home to Kėdainiai air base, a major Soviet military airlift facility. For many years, Kėdainiai was known for its chemical and food processing industries. The Kėdainiai chemical plant, Lifosa began operations in January 1963. Publicized as a milestone in the industrialization of Lithuania, it emitted significant quantities of sulfuric acid and was the subject of ecological protests in the 1980s.

Following years of stagnation, old enterprises have come back to life, and new ones have been established, contributing to its status as an economic stronghold.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Kėdainiai, lithuania.travel – Kėdainiai, Wikivoyage Kėdainiai and Wikipedia Kėdainiai. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Mirow in the Mecklenburg Lake District

Mirow in the Mecklenburg Lake District

[caption id="attachment_161100" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Mirow Castle © kleine-seenplatte.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mirow is a city in the district of Mecklenburgische Seenplatte in southern Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Mirow lies in the middle of the Mecklenburg Lake District (Mecklenburgische Seenplatte) on the southern shore of Lake Mirow, which is connected to the Müritz and the Havel by a system of lakes, rivers, and canals. There are several more lakes on the territory of this municipality. The neigh...

[ read more ]

Liverpool at the mouth of the Mersey

Liverpool at the mouth of the Mersey

[caption id="attachment_153101" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Albert Dock © Green Lane[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Liverpool is a city and metropolitan borough of Merseyside, along the eastern side of the Mersey Estuary. It was founded as a borough in 1207 and was granted city status in 1880. It is the fourth most populous British city, and third most populous in England, with a 2011 population of 466,400 and is at the centre of a wider urban area, the Liverpool City Region, which has a population of around 2 million people. I...

[ read more ]

Osnabrück, the City of Peace

Osnabrück, the City of Peace

[caption id="attachment_161106" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Heger Gate © Quasitim/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Osnabrück is a city in Lower Saxony, some 80 km NNE of Dortmund, 45 km NE of Münster, and some 100 km due west of Hanover. It lies in a valley penned between the Wiehen Hills and the northern tip of the Teutoburg Forest. Its population is at 165,000, making it the third-largest city in Lower Saxony, after Hanover and Brunswick. Between 1561 and 1639 was a time of social unrest and tensions beca...

[ read more ]

Them Week Galicia - A Coruña

Them Week Galicia - A Coruña

[caption id="attachment_152943" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port of A Coruña © Marrovi/cc-by-sa-2.5-mx[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]A Coruña is the second-largest city in the autonomous community and seventeenth overall in the country. The city is the provincial capital of the province of the same name, having also served as political capital of the Kingdom of Galicia from the 16th to the 19th centuries, and as a regional administrative centre between 1833 and 1982, before being replaced by Santiago de Compostela. A Coruña...

[ read more ]

The Anthem of the Seas

The Anthem of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_165230" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - slgckgc/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MS Anthem of the Seas is a cruise ship operated by Royal Caribbean International (RCI). She is the second ship of the Quantum class, which surpasses the earlier Freedom-class ships by over 14,000 GT, becoming the second largest class of passenger ships behind RCI's Oasis class ships on a gross tonnage basis. On February 11, 2011, Royal Caribbean announced that they had ordered a new class of ships from the...

[ read more ]

Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto

Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto

[caption id="attachment_26524" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Catania - Cathedral Sant' Agata © Berthold Werner/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Val di Noto is a geographical area of south east Sicily; it is dominated by the limestone Iblean plateau. The Val di Noto owes its fame to the reconstruction which underwent after the year 1693, when the entire area was decimated by an enormous earthquake. Following the earthquake, many towns were rebuilt on entirely new sites, such as Noto and Grammichele. The rulers of the ti...

[ read more ]

Mâcon in Burgundy

Mâcon in Burgundy

[caption id="attachment_151140" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Luciani71/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mâcon is a small city in east-central France. It is the prefecture of the department of Saône-et-Loire, located in Burgundy. Mâcon is home to over 35,000 residents, who are referred to in French as Mâconnais. The area west and north of Mâcon produces well-known wines from the Chardonnay grape. The best known appellation of the Mâconnais is Pouilly-Fuissé. The city lies on the western bank of the Saône rive...

[ read more ]

Doge's Palace in Venice

Doge's Palace in Venice

[caption id="attachment_221961" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Doge's Palace © Didier Descouens/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Doge's Palace (Italian: Palazzo Ducale) is a palace built in Venetian Gothic style, and one of the main landmarks of the city of Venice in northern Italy. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340 and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 1923 and is one of the 11 museums run by t...

[ read more ]

Ulm on the Danube

Ulm on the Danube

[caption id="attachment_160708" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Cholo Aleman[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ulm is a city in the federal German state of Baden-Württemberg, situated on the River Danube. The city, whose population is estimated at 120,000 (2006), forms an urban district of its own and is the administrative seat of the Alb-Donau district. Ulm, founded around 850, is rich in history and traditions as a former Free Imperial City (German: freie Reichsstadt). Today, it is an economic centre due to its varied industries,...

[ read more ]

The International Court of Justice in The Hague

The International Court of Justice in The Hague

[caption id="attachment_168243" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © International Court of Justice[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The International Court of Justice (French: Cour internationale de justice; commonly referred to as the World Court, ICJ or The Hague) is the primary judicial branch of the United Nations (UN). Seated in the Peace Palace in The Hague, the court settles legal disputes submitted to it by states and provides advisory opinions on legal questions submitted to it by duly authorized international branches, agenci...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Clingman's Dome Observation Tower, the highest point both in Tennessee and along the Appalachian Trail, in Great Smoky Mountains National Park © Scott Basford
Great Smoky Mountains National Park in the Appalachians

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is an American national park in the southeastern United States, with parts in North Carolina...

The Tiškevičiai Palace houses the Amber Museum © Diliff/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Lithuania – Palanga

Palanga is a seaside resort town in western Lithuania, on the shore of the Baltic Sea. It is the busiest...

© flickr.com - allen watkin/cc-by-sa-2.0
Nationalmuseum in Stockholm

Nationalmuseum (or National Museum of Fine Arts) is the national gallery of Sweden, located on the peninsula Blasieholmen in central...

Close