Theme Week County Mayo – Knock

Tuesday, 27 December 2022 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  4 minutes

The Apparition Chapel © KnockShrine/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Apparition Chapel © KnockShrine/cc-by-sa-4.0

Knock is a large village in County Mayo, Ireland. Its notability is derived from the Knock Shrine, a Catholic shrine and place of pilgrimage where, according to Catholic beliefs, that the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Joseph and Saint John the Evangelist may have appeared on 21 August 1879. There is much international skepticism on this event due to the age of the witnesses and lack of evidence supporting the event. In the 20th century, Knock became one of Europe’s major Catholic Marian shrines, alongside Lourdes and Fátima. It was one of the focusses of Irish peace pilgrimage during the Second World War, when the Catholic Irish prayed for peace and to prevent the spread of war to the island. One and a half million pilgrims visit Knock Shrine annually. Pope John Paul II, a supporter of devotion to the Virgin Mary, visited Knock in 1979 to commemorate the centenary of the apparition. Knock is also a civil parish in the ancient barony of Costello. On 26 August 2018 Pope Francis visited the shrine at Knock as part of a visit to Ireland for the 9th World Meeting of Families.

Knock comes from the Irish word “cnoc” meaning hill, historical evidence shows the village had been named that as far back as 1625. The Irish language name was changed to “Cnoc Mhuire” meaning the hill of the Virgin Mary after the visions. The parish and village of Knock is sometimes referred to historically and in Lewis’ 1837 topographical dictionary as Knockdrumcalry (Cnoc Droma Chálraighe) meaning “hill of the ridge of the Cálraighe“.

Knock Basilica © Sinead Mallee/cc-by-sa-4.0 Knock Museum © KnockShrine/cc-by-sa-4.0 Knock Shrine © sarah777 The Apparition Chapel © KnockShrine/cc-by-sa-4.0 The roundabout © sarah777
<
>
The Apparition Chapel © KnockShrine/cc-by-sa-4.0
The civil parish of Knock covers 45 townlands. Thirty five of the townlands are in the barony of Costello. The remaining 10 townlands along the central western boundary of the parish are in the neighbouring barony of Clanmorris. Knock is located five miles from the town of Claremorris (one of the major market towns of the early 19th century) and is between Claremorris and Ballyhaunis.

Monsignor James Horan (1911–1986) became parish priest of Knock in 1963. During his tenure his accomplishments included the construction of a new 10,000 capacity basilica, Our Lady, Queen of Ireland, at Knock Shrine in 1967. He was also involved in the construction of Ireland-West Airport, and a visit by Pope John Paul II to Knock in 1979 to commemorate the centenary of the apparition.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on mayo.ie – Knock, Knock Shrine, Shrines to the Virgin Mary, Wikivoyage Knock and Wikipedia Knock. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Bethlehem, birthplace of Jesus Christ

Bethlehem, birthplace of Jesus Christ

[caption id="attachment_169711" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Church of the Nativity © flickr.com - Neil Ward/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bethlehem is a Palestinian city in the central West Bank in Palestine and approximately 8 kilometers (5.0 mi) south of Jerusalem, with a population of about 30,000 people. It is the capital of the Bethlehem Governorate of the Palestinian National Authority and a hub of Palestinian culture and tourism. The New Testament identifies Bethlehem as the birthplace of Jesus of Nazareth. Th...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Washington, D.C. - Georgetown

Theme Week Washington, D.C. - Georgetown

[caption id="attachment_161529" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Healy Hall at Georgetown University © Daderot[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Georgetown is a historic neighborhood, commercial, and entertainment district located in northwest Washington, D.C., situated along the Potomac River. Founded in 1751 in the Province of Maryland, the port of Georgetown predated the establishment of the federal district and the City of Washington by 40 years. Georgetown remained a separate municipality until 1871, when the United States Congres...

[ read more ]

The Atlantropa Project

The Atlantropa Project

[caption id="attachment_6895" align="aligncenter" width="487"] Atlantropa project © Devilm25/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Atlantropa, also referred to as Panropa, was a gigantic engineering and colonization project devised by the German architect Herman Sörgel in the 1920s and promulgated by him until his death in 1952. Its central feature was a hydroelectric dam to be built across the Strait of Gibraltar, which would have provided enormous amounts of hydroelectricity and would have led to the lowering of the surface of...

[ read more ]

Mariners' Museum and Park in Newport News

Mariners' Museum and Park in Newport News

[caption id="attachment_201508" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Mariners' Museum and Park is located in Newport News, Virginia, United States. Designated as America’s National Maritime Museum by Congress, it is one of the largest maritime museums in North America. The Mariners' Museum Library, contains the largest maritime history collection in the Western Hemisphere. The museum was founded in 1930 by Archer Milton Huntington, son of Collis P. Huntington, a rail...

[ read more ]

Massa and Marina di Massa in Tuscany

Massa and Marina di Massa in Tuscany

[caption id="attachment_153275" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Sailko/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Massa is a town and comune in Tuscany, central Italy, the administrative centre of the province of Massa and Carrara. It is located in the Frigido River Valley, near the Apuan Alps, some 5 km (3 mi) from the Tyrrhenian Sea, about 114 km west of Florence. The Massa area is of high touristic value and also hosts a concentration of some 600 industrial and craft activities, located within the so-called Apuan Industr...

[ read more ]

The Liberty of the Seas

The Liberty of the Seas

[caption id="attachment_196082" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Andreas Hobi/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Liberty of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean International Freedom-class cruise ship which entered regular service in May 2007. It was initially announced that she would be called Endeavour of the Seas, however this name was later changed. The 15-deck ship accommodates 3,634 passengers served by 1,360 crew. She was built in 18 months at the Aker Finnyards Turku Shipyard, Finland, where her sist...

[ read more ]

Loch Ness in Scotland

Loch Ness in Scotland

[caption id="attachment_152507" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Loch Ness with Urquhart Castle © Pappenheim[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Loch Ness is a large, deep, freshwater loch in the Scottish Highlands extending for approximately 37 kilometres (23 mi) southwest of Inverness. Its surface is 15.8 m (52 ft) above sea level. Loch Ness is best known for alleged sightings of the cryptozoological Loch Ness Monster, also known affectionately as "Nessie". It is connected at the southern end by the River Oich and a section of the Cale...

[ read more ]

Cargo, Geneva, Switzerland / group8

Cargo, Geneva, Switzerland / group8

[caption id="attachment_153979" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Régis Golay - FEDERAL Studio[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]A former industrial hall, near the center of Geneva (Switzerland), hosts these new offices designed in order to make the best use of the 780 sqm and the 9m of height. This white and luminous space contains a hidden treasure: 16 recycled shipping containers. All of which have been traveling across the world for thousands of kilometers over the oceans of the globe. Piled up as giant Legos, the containers were...

[ read more ]

Great Market Hall in Budapest

Great Market Hall in Budapest

[caption id="attachment_200740" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dd-ang2s[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Great Market Hall or Central Market Hall (Hungarian: "Nagyvásárcsarnok") is the largest and oldest indoor market in Budapest. The idea of building such a large market hall arose from the first mayor of Budapest, Károly Kamermayer, and it was his largest investment. He retired in 1896 and participated in the opening ceremony on February 15, 1897. It is located at the end of the famous pedestrian shopping street Váci utca...

[ read more ]

Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay

Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay

[caption id="attachment_152330" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port of Angel Island © picasaweb.google.com - Mirjam Hart/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Angel Island is an island in San Francisco Bay that offers expansive views of the San Francisco skyline, the Marin County Headlands and Mount Tamalpais. The entire island is included within Angel Island State Park and is administered by California State Parks. The island, a California Historical Landmark, has been used for a variety of purposes, including military fort...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Veszprém Castle © Csendesmark/cc-by-sa-4.0
Veszprém in Hungary

Veszprém (German: Weißbrunn) is one of the oldest urban areas in Hungary, and a city with county rights. It lies...

Burrishoole Bridge © MickReynolds/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week County Mayo

County Mayo (Irish: Contae Mhaigh Eo, meaning "Plain of the yew trees") is a county in Ireland. In the West...

© Wolfgang Rieger/cc-by-sa-3.0
Weihenstephan in Bavaria

Weihenstephan is a part of Freising north of Munich, Germany. It is located on the Weihenstephan Hill, named after the...

Schließen