Theme Week Belarus – Grodno

Friday, 29 July 2022 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  8 minutes

© flickr.com - Alexej Mazurkiewicz/cc-by-sa-2.0

© flickr.com – Alexej Mazurkiewicz/cc-by-sa-2.0

Grodno is a city in western Belarus. The city is located at the Neman river, 300 km (186 mi) from Minsk, about 15 km (9 mi) from the Polish border and 30 km (19 mi) away from Lithuania. In 2019 the city had 373,547 inhabitants. Grodno is the capital of Grodno Region and Grodno District. Since 1945, the city has been a centre of one of the provinces of the Byelorussian SSR, now of the independent Republic of Belarus. Most of the Polish inhabitants were expelled or fled to Poland in 1944–1946 and 1955–1959. However nowadays Poles are still the second-most numerous nationality in the city (25%), after Belarusians (60%).

During the Polish Defensive War of September to October 1939 the garrison of Grodno was mostly used for the formation of numerous military units fighting against the invading Wehrmacht. In the course of the Soviet invasion of Poland (initiated on 17 September 1939) heavy fighting took place in the city between Soviet and improvised Polish forces, composed mostly of march battalions and volunteers. In the course of the Battle of Grodno (20-22 September) the Red Army lost some hundred men (according to Polish sources; according to Soviet sources – 57 killed and 159 wounded) and also 19 tanks and 4 APCs destroyed or damaged. The Polish side suffered at least 100 killed in action, military and civil, but losses still remain uncertain in detail (Soviet sources claim 644 killed and 1543 captives with many guns and machine guns etc. captured). Over 300 captured Polish defenders of the city, including Polish Army officers and youth, were massacred afterwards by the Soviets. After the Soviet forces surrounded the engaged Polish units, the escaping Polish units withdrew to Lithuania. In accordance with the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact of August 1939, the city was occupied by the Soviet Union and annexed into the Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. Several thousand of the city’s Polish inhabitants were deported to remote areas of the Soviet Union. On 23 June 1941 the city came under German occupation that lasted until 16 July 1944. It was administered as part of the Bialystok District. Surviving inmates of the Grodno prison were released and the scale of the NKVD prisoner massacres revealed. In the course of the Operation Barbarossa in World War II, the majority of Jews were herded by the Nazis into the Grodno Ghetto and subsequently killed in extermination camps. The Germans also operated a Nazi prison in the city.

The city has one of the largest concentrations of Roman Catholics in Belarus. It is also a centre of Polish culture, with a significant number of Poles living in Belarus residing in the city and its surroundings. The Eastern Orthodox population is also widely present. The city’s Catholic and Orthodox churches are important architectural treasures. The city is known for Grodno State Medical University where many students from different parts of Belarus acquire academic degrees, as do a notable number of foreign students. Other higher educational establishments are Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno (the largest education centre in Grodno Province) and Grodno State Agrarian University. To support the Polish community, a Polish school was built in 1995, where all subjects are taught in Polish and students are able to pass exams to get accepted into Polish universities.

Jesuit Cathedral © Jurasikt/cc-by-3.0 Lenin Square © Samotny Wedrowiec/cc-by-sa-4.0 Old Grodno Castle © Liashko/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Ян Хведчин/cc-by-sa-4.0 Grodno Regional Drama Theatre © Samotny Wedrowiec/cc-by-sa-4.0 © flickr.com - Alexej Mazurkiewicz/cc-by-sa-2.0 © flickr.com - tjabeljan/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Grodno Regional Drama Theatre © Samotny Wedrowiec/cc-by-sa-4.0
The town was planned to be dominated by the Old Grodno Castle, first built in stone by Grand Duke Vytautas and thoroughly rebuilt in the Renaissance style by Scotto from Parma at the behest of Stefan Batory, who made the castle his principal residence. Batory died at this palace seven years later (December 1586) and originally was interred in Grodno. (His autopsy there was the first to take place in Eastern Europe.) After his death, the castle was altered on numerous occasions, although a 17th-century stone arch bridge linking it with the city still survives. The Wettin monarchs of Poland were dissatisfied with the old residence and commissioned Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann to design the New Grodno Castle, whose once sumptuous Baroque interiors were destroyed during World War II.

The oldest extant structure in Grodno is the Kalozha Church of Sts. Boris and Gleb. It is the only surviving monument of ancient Black Ruthenian architecture, distinguished from other Orthodox churches by prolific use of polychrome faceted stones of blue, green or red tint which could be arranged to form crosses or other figures on the wall. The church was built before 1183 and survived intact until 1853, when the south wall collapsed, due to its perilous location on the high bank of the Neman. During restoration works, some fragments of 12th-century frescos were discovered in the apses. Remains of four other churches in the same style, decorated with pitchers and coloured stones instead of frescos, were discovered in Grodno and Vawkavysk. They all date back to the turn of the 13th century, as do remains of the first stone palace in the Old Castle.

Probably the most spectacular landmark of Grodno is the Cathedral of St. Francis Xavier, the former (until 1773) Jesuit church on Batory Square (now: Soviet Square). This confident specimen of high Baroque architecture, exceeding 50 metres in height, was started in 1678. Due to wars that rocked Poland-Lithuania at that time, the cathedral was consecrated only 27 years later, in the presence of Peter the Great and Augustus the Strong. Its late Baroque frescoes were executed in 1752. The extensive grounds of the Bernardine monastery (1602–18), renovated in 1680 and 1738, display all the styles flourishing in the 17th century, from Gothic to Baroque. The interior is considered a masterpiece of so-called Vilnius Baroque. Other monastic establishments include the old Franciscan cloister (1635), Basilian convent (1720–51, by Giuseppe Fontana III), the church of the Bridgettine cloister (1642, one of the earliest Baroque buildings in the region) with the wooden two-storey dormitory (1630s) still standing on the grounds, and the 18th-century buildings of the Dominican monastery (its cathedral was demolished in 1874). Among other sights in Grodno and its environs, we should mention the Orthodox cathedral, a polychrome Russian Revival extravaganza from 1904; the botanical garden, the first in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, founded in 1774; a curiously curved building on the central square (1780s); a 254-metre-high TV tower (1984); and Stanisławów, a summer residence of the last Polish king.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on YesBelarus.com – Grodno, Wikivoyage Grodno and Wikipedia Grodno. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Cire Trudon

Cire Trudon

[caption id="attachment_236180" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaques Cire Trudon in Paris © Mu/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cire Trudon is a French candlemaker. Founded in 1643, it was the provider of the royal court of Louis XIV, as well as most of the great churches of France. Cire Trudon was the biggest wax-producing factory in the French Kingdom during the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1762, in his encyclopaedia The art of the wax producer, engineer Duhamel du Monceau, praises the skills of the Trudons and gives...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian general and military theorist

Portrait: Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian general and military theorist

[caption id="attachment_167374" align="aligncenter" width="465"] Carl von Clausewitz by Karl Wilhelm Wach[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz was a Prussian general and military theorist who stressed the "moral" (psychological) and political aspects of war. His most notable work, Vom Kriege (On War), was unfinished at his death. Clausewitz was a realist in many different senses and, while in some respects a romantic, also drew heavily on the rationalist ideas of the European Enlightenment. Clausewitz'...

[ read more ]

Nyon on Lake Geneva

Nyon on Lake Geneva

[caption id="attachment_160825" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Nyon © Chin tin tin[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nyon is a municipality in the district of Nyon in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland. It is located some 25 kilometers north east of Geneva's city centre, and since the 1970s it has become part of the Geneva metropolitan area. It lies on the shores of Lake Geneva, and is the seat of the district of Nyon. The town has (as of December 2010) a population of 18,728. It is connected to the rest of Switzerland by way of the R...

[ read more ]

The Thousand Islands

The Thousand Islands

[caption id="attachment_153033" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Just Enough Room Island © Omegatron/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Thousand Islands constitute an archipelago of 1,864 islands that straddles the Canada-U.S. border in the Saint Lawrence River as it emerges from the northeast corner of Lake Ontario. They stretch for about 50 miles (80 km) downstream from Kingston, Ontario. The Canadian islands are in the province of Ontario, the U.S. islands in the state of New York. Passenger air service to the 1000 I...

[ read more ]

Wolverhampton in the West Midlands

Wolverhampton in the West Midlands

[caption id="attachment_160717" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Art Gallery © G-Man[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wolverhampton is a city and metropolitan borough in the West Midlands. In 2004, the local government district had an estimated population of 239,100. Wolverhampton is part of the West Midlands Urban Area which had a population of 2.3 million in the 2001 census which makes it part of the second largest urban area in the United Kingdom. For Eurostat purposes Walsall and Wolverhampton is a NUTS 3 region (code UKG35) and i...

[ read more ]

Via Dolorosa and Caesarea Maritima in Palestine

Via Dolorosa and Caesarea Maritima in Palestine

[caption id="attachment_24899" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Via Dolorosa © magister[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"] VIA DOLOROSA The Via Dolorosa is a street, in two parts, within the Old City of Jerusalem, held to be the path that Jesus walked, carrying his cross, on the way to his crucifixion. The winding route from the Antonia Fortress west to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre—a distance of about 600 metres (2,000 feet)—is a celebrated place of Christian pilgrimage. The current route has been established since the 18th c...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Istria - Umag

Theme Week Istria - Umag

[caption id="attachment_153466" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Peko/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Umag is a coastal city in Istria. The city hosts a yearly ATP tennis tournament on clay courts. It is the westernmost city of Croatia, and the municipality includes Savudrija, the westernmost point of Croatia. In 1993 with the establishment of the new local rule Umag became an independent municipality (općina), and in 1997 was awarded the status of town or city (grad). The natural features of the area have con...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Dordogne

Theme Week Dordogne

[caption id="attachment_211395" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Domme during morning fog © Ghezoart - www.GhezoArt.be/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dordogne is a department in Southwestern France, with its prefecture in Périgueux. The department is located in the region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine between the Loire Valley and the Pyrenees and is named after the river Dordogne that runs through it. It corresponds roughly with the historically and culinary significant ancient county of Périgord. It had a population of 416,9...

[ read more ]

Timmendorfer Strand on the Baltic Sea

Timmendorfer Strand on the Baltic Sea

[caption id="attachment_159845" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Ice sailing on Lake Hemmelsdorf © Jan Kuchenbecker/cc-by-sa-3.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Timmendorfer Strand (Timmendorf Beach) is a fashionable seaside resort in the district of Ostholstein, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. It is situated on the Bay of Lübeck (Baltic Sea), approximately 10 km north of Travemünde, 15 km northeast of Lübeck, and 20 km southeast of Eutin. Timmendorfer Strand has simply everything: the longest beach in Schleswig-Holstei...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Miami & the Beaches

Theme Week Miami & the Beaches

[caption id="attachment_4164" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="South Beach - Ocean Drive © chensiyuan"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Miami is a city located on the Atlantic coast in southeastern Florida and the county seat of Miami-Dade County, the most populous county in Florida and the eighth-most populous county in the United States with a population of 2,500,625. The 42nd largest city proper in the United States, with a population of 399,457, it is the principal, central, and most populous city of the South Florida met...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Marco Almbauer
Predjama Castle in Slovenia

Predjama Castle (Slovene: Predjamski grad or German: Höhlenburg Lueg is a Renaissance castle built within a cave mouth in south-central...

City Hall © Kazimier Lachnovic/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Belarus – Mogilev

Mogilev is a city in eastern Belarus, on the Dnieper River, about 76 kilometres (47 miles) from the border with...

Town hall, called Il Castello (The Castle) at Piazza del Castello © IslandVita/cc-by-sa-4.0
Ventotene in Italy

Ventotene is one of the Pontine Islands in the Tyrrhenian Sea, 46 kilometres (25 nautical miles) off the coast of...

Close