Theme Week Basilicata – Venosa

Tuesday, 26 December 2023 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Piazza Orazio Flacco © Roberto Strafella/cc-by-sa-4.0

Piazza Orazio Flacco © Roberto Strafella/cc-by-sa-4.0

Venosa is a town and comune in the province of Potenza, in the southern Italian region of Basilicata, in the Vulture area. It is bounded by the comuni of Barile, Ginestra, Lavello, Maschito, Montemilone, Palazzo San Gervasio, Rapolla and Spinazzola. It is a member of the I Borghi più belli d’Italia (“The most beautiful villages of Italy”) association.

After a series of different feudal lords, Venosa became a possession of the Orsini in 1453. Count Pirro Del Balzo, who had married Donata Orsini, built a new castle (1460–1470) and a cathedral. Then, under the Aragonese domination, followed the Gesualdo family (1561); amongst their number was the famous prince, musician and murderer Carlo Gesualdo. Despite the plague that had reduced its population from the 13,000 of 1503 to 6,000, Venosa had a flourishing cultural life under the Gesualdos: apart from the famous Carlo, other relevant figures of the period include the poet Luigi Tansillo (1510–1580) and the jurist Giovanni Battista De Luca (1614–1683). Venosa took part in the revolt of Masaniello in 1647. The Gesualdos were in turn followed by the Ludovisi and the Caracciolo families. Home to a traditionally strong republican tradition, Venosa had a role in the peasant revolts and the Carbonari movement of the early 19th century. A true civil war between baronial powers and supporters of the peasants’ rights broke out in 1849, being harshly suppressed by the Neapolitan troops (Sicilian revolution of independence of 1848). In 1861, after the fall of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies during the Italian unification, Venosa was occupied by some bands of brigands under the command of Carmine Crocco in order to restore the Bourbon power in Basilicata.

Chiesa del Purgatorio © Anna Nicoletta Menzella/cc-by-sa-4.0 Venosa © D.N.R./cc-by-sa-3.0 Home of Horace Français © D.N.R. Palazzo Calvini © D.N.R./cc-by-sa-3.0 Piazza Orazio Flacco © Roberto Strafella/cc-by-sa-4.0 Statue of Horace Français © D.N.R. Aragon Castle © Generale Lee/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Chiesa del Purgatorio © Anna Nicoletta Menzella/cc-by-sa-4.0
Among the main sights are:

  • The Aragonese castle, built in 1470 by Pirro del Balzo Orsini. It has a square plan with four cylindrical towers. The shining sun, the del Balzo coat of arms, is visible on the western towers. It was turned into a residence by Carlo and Emanuele Gesualdo, who added also an internal loggia, the north-western wing and bastions used as prisons. From 1612 it was the seat of the Accademia dei Rinascenti. It is now home to the National Museum of Venosa, inaugurated in 1991, with ancient Roman and other findings up to the 9th century. The entrance is preceded by a fountain conceded by King Charles I of Anjou.
  • Many fragments of Roman workmanship are built into the walls of the cathedral, which is due to Pirro del Balzo also (c. 1470).
  • The abbey church of SS. Trinità is historically interesting; it was consecrated in 1059 by Pope Nicholas II and passed into the hands of the Knights of Saint John in the time of Boniface VIII (1295–1303). In the central aisle is the tomb of Alberada, the first wife of Robert Guiscard and mother of Bohemund. An inscription on the wall commemorates the great Norman brothers William Iron Arm, Drogo, Humfrey and Robert Guiscard. The bones of these brothers rest together in a simple stone sarcophagus opposite the tomb of Alberada. The church also contains some 14th-century frescoes. Behind it is a larger church, which was begun for the Benedictines about 1150, from the designs of a French architect, in imitation of the Cluniac church at Paray-le-Monial, but never carried beyond the spring of the vaulting. The ancient amphitheatre adjacent furnished the materials for its walls.
  • Baroque Church of the Purgatory (or San Filippo Neri)
  • The Archaeological Area of Notarchirico, in the communal territory. It covers the Palaeolithic period with eleven layers dating from 600,000 to 300,000 years ago. Remains of ancient wildlife, including extinct species of elephants, bisons and rhinoceroses, have been found, as well as a fragment of a femur of Homo erectus.
  • Remains of the ancient city walls and of an amphitheatre still exist, and a number of inscriptions have been found there.
  • Jewish catacombs with inscriptions in Hebrew, Greek and Latin show the importance of the Jewish population here in the 4th and 5th centuries.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Wikipedia Venosa. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The sail training ship Amerigo Vespucci

The sail training ship Amerigo Vespucci

[caption id="attachment_152985" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Americo Vespucio in Venice © Celio Maielo/GFDL[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Amerigo Vespucci is a tall ship of the Marina Militare, named after the explorer Amerigo Vespucci. Its home port is Livorno in Tuscany, and it is in use as a training ship. In 1925, the Regia Marina ordered two school ships to a design by General Lieutenant Francesco Rotundi of the Italian Navy Engineering Corps, inspired by the style of large late 18th century 74-cannon ships of the line...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Queensland - The Great Barrier Reef

Theme Week Queensland - The Great Barrier Reef

[caption id="attachment_24332" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Coral Outcrop © Toby Hudson/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system composed of over 2,900 individual reefs and 900 islands stretching for over 2,600 kilometres (1,600 mi) over an area of approximately 344,400 square kilometres (133,000 sq mi). The reef is located in the Coral Sea, off the coast of Queensland, Australia. The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space and is the world's bigg...

[ read more ]

Quartier du Val-de-Grâce in Paris

Quartier du Val-de-Grâce in Paris

[caption id="attachment_235426" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Church of the Val-de-Grâce - View from Rue Saint-Jacques © Poulpy/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The quartier du Val-de-Grâce is the 19th administrative district or 'quartier' of Paris, located in the 5th arrondissement of the city. Its borders are boulevard de Port-Royal to the south, boulevard Saint-Michel to the west, rue Soufflot, rue des Fossés-Saint-Jacques and rue de l'Estrapade to the north and rue Mouffetard and rue Pascal to the east. It is na...

[ read more ]

The Battersea Power Station in London

The Battersea Power Station in London

[caption id="attachment_153885" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Tosh Marshall/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Battersea Power Station is a decommissioned coal-fired power station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in Battersea, an inner-city district of South West London. It comprises two individual power stations, built in two stages in the form of a single building. Battersea A Power Station was built in the 1930s, with Battersea B Power Station to its east in the 1950s. The two stations were built to an...

[ read more ]

Villa Almerico Capra La Rotonda in Vicenza

Villa Almerico Capra La Rotonda in Vicenza

[caption id="attachment_218971" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Mark Beston/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Villa La Rotonda is a Renaissance villa just outside Vicenza in northern Italy designed by Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. The villa’s correct name is Villa Almerico Capra Valmarana, but it is also known as "La Rotonda", "Villa Rotonda", "Villa Capra", and "Villa Almerico Capra". The name Capra derives from the Capra brothers, who completed the building after it was ceded to them in 1592. Along ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Laos - Luang Prabang

Theme Week Laos - Luang Prabang

[caption id="attachment_213837" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Night Market © Ekrem Canli/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Luang Phabang, commonly transliterated into Western languages from the pre-1975 Lao spelling as Luang Prabang, literally meaning "Royal Buddha Image", is a city in north central Laos, consisting of 58 adjacent villages, of which 33 comprise the UNESCO Town Of Luang Prabang World Heritage Site. It was listed in 1995 for unique and "remarkably" well preserved architectural, religious and cultural heri...

[ read more ]

Glückstadt on the Elbe

Glückstadt on the Elbe

[caption id="attachment_154370" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Inner Harbour © Nightflyer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glückstadt is a town in the Steinburg district of Schleswig-Holstein. It is located on the right bank of the Lower Elbe at the confluence of the small Rhin river, about 45 km (28 mi) northwest of Altona. Glückstadt is part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region. In 1845 Glückstadt station opened on the Marsh Railway line from Elmshorn, which in 1857 was continued to Itzehoe. Today trains run ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Peebles

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Peebles

[caption id="attachment_191823" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tweed Bridge © Kjetil Bjørnsrud/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Peebles is a royal burgh in Peeblesshire, of which it is the county town, within the Scottish Borders region with a population of 8,400. In 2014 Creative Scotland named Peebles the most creative place of its size in Scotland, presenting the town with a Creative Place Award and £100,000 to enhance arts events, festivals and arts commissions. Most arts performances take place in the Eastgate Theat...

[ read more ]

Vimmerby, Astrid Lindgren's World

Vimmerby, Astrid Lindgren's World

[caption id="attachment_151098" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Rotsee/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Vimmerby is a city and the seat of Vimmerby Municipality in Kalmar County with 8,000 inhabitants. Stångån is a small river running through the city. Vimmerby had its charter as early as the fourteenth century. The main street, Storgatan, still has the shape in which it was built in the medieval time. There are also many old wooden houses in the city. Vimmerby is currently a tourist attraction due to histori...

[ read more ]

English Market in Cork

English Market in Cork

[caption id="attachment_216181" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Christmas 2017 © Dan Curran/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The English Market (Irish: An Margadh Sasanach) is a municipal food market in the center of Cork City, Ireland. It stretches from Princes Street to the Grand Parade, and combines Princes Street Market and Grand Parade Market. The market is regarded for both its mid-19th century architecture and locally produced artisan food. The market has become a tourist attraction, has developed an international...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
La Ferté Abbey © burgundy-tourism.com
La Ferté Abbey in Saint-Ambreuil

La Ferté Abbey (French: Abbaye de la Ferté; Latin: Firmitas) was a Cistercian monastery founded in 1113 in La Ferté-sur-Grosne...

Sassi di Matera © Superchilum/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Basilicata

Basilicata, also known by its ancient name Lucania, is an administrative region in Southern Italy, bordering on Campania to the...

Clairvaux Abbey, from 1808 to 2022 Clairvaux Prison © KBWEi
Clairvaux Abbey in Ville-sous-la-Ferté

Clairvaux Abbey (Latin: Clara Vallis, "bright valley") was a Cistercian monastery in Ville-sous-la-Ferté, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Bar-sur-Aube. The...

Schließen