Temple Church in London

Wednesday, 2 May 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, London
Reading Time:  6 minutes

© geograph.org.uk - John Salmon/cc-by-sa-2.0

© geograph.org.uk – John Salmon/cc-by-sa-2.0

The Temple Church is a late 12th-century church in the City of London located between Fleet Street and the River Thames, built by the Knights Templar as their English headquarters. During the reign of King John (1199–1216) it served as the royal treasury, supported by the role of the Knights Templars as proto-international bankers. It is jointly owned by the Inner Temple and Middle Temple Inns of Court, bases of the English legal profession. It is famous for being a round church, a common design feature for Knights Templar churches, and for its 13th and 14th century stone effigies. It was heavily damaged by German bombing during World War II and has since been greatly restored and rebuilt. The area around the Temple Church is known as the Temple and nearby formerly in the middle of Fleet Street stood the Temple Bar, an ornamental processional gateway. Nearby is the Temple Underground station.

In the mid 12th century, before the construction of the church, the Knights Templar in London had met at a site in High Holborn in a structure originally established by Hugues de Payens (the site had been historically the location of a Roman temple in Londinium, now known as London). Because of the rapid growth of the order, by the 1160s the site had become too confined, and the Order purchased the current site for the establishment of a larger monastic complex as their headquarters in England. In addition to the church, the new compound originally contained residences, military training facilities, and recreational grounds for the military brethren and novices, who were not permitted to go into the City without the permission of the Master of the Temple. The church building comprises two separate sections. The original circular church building, called the Round Church and now acting as a nave, and a later rectangular section adjoining on the east side, built approximately half a century later, forming the chancel. After the capture of Jerusalem in 1099 by the Crusaders, the Dome of the Rock was given to the Augustinians, who turned it into a church (while the Al-Aqsa Mosque became a royal palace). Because the Dome of the Rock was the site of the Temple of Solomon, the Knights Templar set up their headquarters in the Al-Aqsa Mosque adjacent to the Dome for much of the 12th century. The Templum Domini, as they called the Dome of the Rock, featured on the official seals of the Order’s Grand Masters (such as Everard des Barres and Renaud de Vichiers), and soon became the architectural model for Round Templar churches across Europe. The round church is 55 feet in diameter, and contains within it a circle of the earliest known surviving free-standing Purbeck Marble columns. It is probable that the walls and grotesque heads were originally painted in colours. It was consecrated on 10 February 10, 1185 by Heraclius, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem. It is believed that King Henry II (1154–1189) was present at the consecration.

© geograph.org.uk - John Salmon/cc-by-sa-2.0 © geograph.org.uk - John Salmon/cc-by-sa-2.0 © flickr.com - Steve Cadman/cc-by-sa-2.0 Interior of the Round Church © David Iliff/cc-by-sa-3.0 Organ © David Iliff/cc-by-sa-3.0 Stained glass window © Rafesmar/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Interior of the Round Church © David Iliff/cc-by-sa-3.0
Among other purposes, the church was originally used for Templar initiation ceremonies. In England the ceremony involved new recruits entering the Temple via the western door at dawn. The initiates entered the circular nave and then took monastic vows of piety, chastity, poverty and obedience. The details of initiation ceremonies were always a closely guarded secret, which later contributed to the Order’s downfall as gossip and rumours spread about possible blasphemous usages. These rumours were manipulated and exploited by the Order’s enemies, such as King Philip IV of France, to fabricate a pretext for the order’s suppression.

Today the Temple Church holds regular church services, including Holy Communion and Mattins on Sunday morning. It also holds weddings, but only for members of the Inner and Middle Temples. The Temple Church serves both the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple as a private chapel. The Temple Church has always been a Peculiar (but not a Royal Peculiar), due to which the choristers have the privilege of wearing scarlet cassocks. Debate exists regarding the relationship of its status as Crown Subject and Peculiar. Relations with the Bishop of London are very good and he regularly attends events and services at the Temple Church. The Bishop of London is also ex officio Dean of the Chapel Royal.

Read more on Temple Church, bbc.com – The hidden world of the Knights Templar and Wikipedia Temple Church (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Neuer Wall in Hamburg

Neuer Wall in Hamburg

[caption id="attachment_238745" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - sezaun/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Neuer Wall is an upmarket shopping street in Hamburg, Germany. The 1,200 m of shop-fronts are almost entirely lined with luxury brands. According to international real estate and retail reports, Neuer Wall is among the most exclusive shopping streets in Europe. [gallery size="large" gss="1" ids="238736,238737,238738,238739,238740,238741,238742,238743,238744,238745,238746,238747"]It is located in Ne...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Jordan - Wadi Rum

Theme Week Jordan - Wadi Rum

[caption id="attachment_165883" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wadi Rum Visitor Center © Jean Housen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wadi Rum, also known as The Valley of the Moon, is a valley cut into the sandstone and granite rock in southern Jordan 60 km (37 mi) to the east of Aqaba; it is the largest wadi in Jordan. The name Rum most likely comes from an Aramaic root meaning 'high' or 'elevated'. To reflect its proper Arabic pronunciation, archaeologists transcribe it as Wadi Ramm. Wadi Rum has been inhabited by ma...

[ read more ]

Expo Tel Aviv

Expo Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_202125" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dr. Avishai Teicher/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Expo Tel Aviv (formerly the Israel Trade Fairs and Convention Center and later the Tel Aviv Convention Center, although commonly referred to locally as Exhibition Gardens and also as the Tel Aviv Fairgrounds) is a site located on Rokach Boulevard in northern Tel Aviv. It serves as a venue for a variety of events, including concerts, exhibitions, trade fairs and conferences. Established in 1932 as "Y...

[ read more ]

Neuf-Brisach in Alsace

Neuf-Brisach in Alsace

[caption id="attachment_200722" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town hall © Psu973/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Neuf-Brisach is a fortified town and commune of the department of Haut-Rhin in the French region of Alsace. The fortified town was intended to guard the border between France and the Holy Roman Empire and, subsequently, the German states. It was built after the Treaty of Ryswick in 1697 that resulted in France losing the town of Breisach, on the opposite bank of the Rhine. The town's name means New Breisach...

[ read more ]

Place de la Bastille in Paris

Place de la Bastille in Paris

[caption id="attachment_192547" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Place de la Bastille © Kaihsu Tai[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Place de la Bastille is a square in Paris where the Bastille prison stood until the storming of the Bastille and its subsequent physical destruction between 14 July 1789 and 14 July 1790 during the French Revolution. No vestige of the prison remains. The square straddles 3 arrondissements of Paris, namely the 4th, 11th and 12th. The square and its surrounding areas are normally called simply Bastille....

[ read more ]

The Russian sail training ship Kruzenshtern

The Russian sail training ship Kruzenshtern

[caption id="attachment_152997" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sail Amsterdam 2005 © Dirk van der Made[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern is a four masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 at Geestemünde in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Padua (named after the Italian city). She was surrendered to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770–1846). She is now a Russian Navy sail training shi...

[ read more ]

The three-masted Thor Heyerdahl

The three-masted Thor Heyerdahl

[caption id="attachment_152649" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Thor Heyerdahl in Kiel © VollwertBIT/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Thor Heyerdahl , originally named Tinka, later Marga Henning, Silke, and Minnow, was built as a freight carrying motor ship with auxiliary sails at the shipyard Smit & Zoon in Westerbroek, Netherlands, in 1930. Her original homeport being Hamburg, she was used for the next 50 years as a freighter. Eventually sailing unter the flag of Panama as Minnow and then awaiting further use i...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Istria - Motovun

Theme Week Istria - Motovun

[caption id="attachment_153456" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Aconcagua/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Motovun is a village in central Istria. The population of the village itself is 500, with a total of 1,000 residents in the municipality. The Parenzana was a narrow gauge railroad that ran from Trieste to Poreč between 1902-1935, passed valley below the town. Motovun is a medieval town that grew up on the site of an ancient city called Kastelijer. It is situated on a hill 270 metres (886 feet) above sea level wit...

[ read more ]

Książ or Fürstenstein Castle

Książ or Fürstenstein Castle

[caption id="attachment_223730" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Jar.ciurus/cc-by-sa-3.0-pl[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Książ (Polish: Zamek Książ, German: Fürstenstein) is the largest castle in the Silesia region, located in northern Wałbrzych in Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland. It lies within Książ Landscape Park, a protected area located in the Wałbrzyski Foothills. The castle overlooks the gorge of the Pełcznica river and is one of the Wałbrzych's main tourist attractions. A first fortification at the ...

[ read more ]

Amsterdam-Noord

Amsterdam-Noord

[caption id="attachment_206370" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Elekes Andor/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Amsterdam-Noord is a borough of Amsterdam, Netherlands with a population of about 90,000. The IJ, the body of water which separates it from Amsterdam-Centrum and the rest of the city, is situated southwest of Amsterdam-Noord. The borough, which has an area of 49.01 km² (18.92 square miles), borders the municipalities of Zaanstad, Oostzaan, Landsmeer and Waterland to the north, all part of the province of North...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Alexandre/cc-by-sa-3.0
The museum ship Falls of Clyde

Falls of Clyde is the last surviving iron-hulled, four-masted full-rigged ship, and the only remaining sail-driven oil tanker. Designated a...

Q1 Resort and Spa © flickr.com - paul (dex) bica/cc-by-2.0
Q1 Resort & Spa in Gold Coast

Q1 (an abbreviation of Queensland Number One) is a supertall skyscraper in Surfers Paradise in Queensland in Australia. The residential...

Bourbon Street © flickr.com - Lars Plougmann/cc-by-sa-2.0
The French Quarter in New Orleans

The French Quarter, also known as the Vieux Carré or the Vieux Carre Historic District, is the oldest section of...

Close