Templin in Uckermark

3 December 2014 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General Reading Time:  5 minutes

Town Hall © Oktaeder

Town Hall © Oktaeder

Templin is a small town in the Uckermark district of Brandenburg. Though it has a population of only 17,127, it is with 377.01 km2 (145.56 sq mi) the second largest town in Brandenburg (after Wittstock) and the seventh largest town in Germany by area. The town is located in the south of the rural Uckermark region and its capital Prenzlau, north of the Schorfheide-Chorin Biosphere Reserve. The town was first mentioned in a 1270 deed issued by Henry of Ostheeren, Bishop of Brandenburg. Then a possession of the Ascanian margraves of Brandenburg, it appeared as a town in 1314 under Margrave Waldemar, who in 1317 concluded the Treaty of Templin here, ending the war against Denmark, Mecklenburg and the Duchy of Pomerania. Heavily devastated by Danish troops in the Thirty Years’ War, Templin from 1816 on belonged to the Prussian province of Brandenburg near the border with Mecklenburg-Strelitz.   read more…

Return to TopReturn to Top