Pillnitz Palace and Park on the Elbe

27 August 2011 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks Reading Time:  8 minutes

Pillnitz Castle - Hillside Palais (Bergpalais) © Martin Röll

Pillnitz Castle – Hillside Palais (Bergpalais) © Martin Röll

Pillnitz is a city quarter in the east of Dresden, Germany. The best known sight of this quarter is the Japanese-styled chateau. The quarter is situated in the east of Dresden, a rather long way from the inner city. It can be reached by bus, ship, walking along the river or by bicycle. The park around the castle was founded in 1539 by building the castle church. In 1693 Elector John George IV of Saxony acquired the palace as a present to his mistress Magdalena Sibylla of Neidschutz. Both died in the following years and in 1706 John George’s brother Augustus II the Strong passed the facilities as a gift to Anna Constantia of Brockdorff, one of his numerous women, only to retract it after Anna Constantia had fled to Berlin in 1715.   read more…

Moritzburg Castle

26 August 2011 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Architecture, General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks Reading Time:  8 minutes

Moritzburg Castle during sundown © Eberhard Franke - Landratsamt Meißen

Moritzburg Castle during sundown © Eberhard Franke – Landratsamt Meißen

Schloss Moritzburg is a Baroque castle in the municipality of Moritzburg in the German state of Saxony, about 13 km (8.1 mi) northwest of the Saxon capital Dresden.   read more…

Return to TopReturn to Top