The Petworth House in West Sussex

31 December 2014 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks Reading Time:  7 minutes

© Josep Renalias

© Josep Renalias

Petworth House in Petworth, West Sussex, is a late 17th-century mansion, rebuilt in 1688 by Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset, and altered in the 1870s by Anthony Salvin. The site was previously occupied by a fortified manor house founded by Henry de Percy, the 13th-century chapel and undercroft of which still survive.   read more…

Return to TopReturn to Top