La Cigale in Nantes

9 October 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

© Selbymay/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Selbymay/cc-by-sa-3.0

La Cigale is a brasserie located in Nantes, Loire-Atlantique, France, on the same city square as the Théâtre Graslin. The locale has been classified as a historic monument since 1964.   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Fougères

1 July 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

© S. Möller

© S. Möller

Fougères (Breton: Felger) is a commune and a sub-prefecture of the Ille-et-Vilaine department. Fougères’ major monument is a medieval stronghold built atop a granite ledge, which was part of the ultimately unsuccessful defence system of the Duchy of Brittany against French aggression, and part of a tripartate with Vitré   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Concarneau

9 June 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Aerial view of Ville Close, harbour and town centre © Ronan Voltz

Aerial view of Ville Close, harbour and town centre © Ronan Voltz

Concarneau (Breton: Konk Kerne, meaning Bay of Cornwall) is a commune in the Finistère department of Brittany in north-western France.   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Vannes

1 February 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Vannes and his wife © Myrabella

Vannes and his wife © Myrabella

Vannes (Breton: Gwened) is a commune in the Morbihan department in Brittany in north-western France. It was founded over 2000 years ago. Vannes is located on the Gulf of Morbihan at the mouth of two rivers, the Marle and the Vincin. It is around 100 km northwest of Nantes and 450 km south west of Paris. Vannes is a market town and often linked to the sea.   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Vitré

25 February 2012 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Historical city centre © Electzik

Historical city centre © Electzik

Vitré (Breton: Gwitreg) is a commune in the Ille-et-Vilaine department in Brittany in north-western France. Vitré, a sub-prefecture until 1926, is the seat of a canton of around 17,000 inhabitants (2006). It lies on the edge of Brittany, near Normandy, Maine, and Anjou. The town has been designated a ville d’art et d’histoire, a town of artistic and historic significance, by the Ministry of Culture in recognition of its rich cultural inheritance. Vitré is the 37th French city with the most historic buildings and has 14% of the historical monuments of the department.   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Quimper

22 February 2012 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

St. Corentin Cathedral © Falk Koop

St. Corentin Cathedral © Falk Koop

Quimper (Breton: Kemper) is a commune and capital of the Finistère department in northwestern France. Quimper is the ancient capital of La Cornouaille, Brittany’s most traditional region, and has a distinctive Breton character. Shops and flags celebrating the region’s Celtic heritage can be found throughout the city. Quimper was originally settled during Roman times. By AD 495, the town had become a Bishopric. It subsequently became the capital of the counts of Cornouailles. In the 11th century, it was united with the Duchy of Brittany. During the civil wars of the 14th century, the town suffered considerable ruin. In 1364, the duchy passed to the House of Montfort.   read more…

Theme Week Brittany – Be Breizh!

20 February 2012 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Theme Weeks

Crozon © S. Möller

Crozon © S. Möller

Brittany (Breton: Breizh, French: Bretagne) is one of the 27 regions of France. It occupies a large peninsula in the northwest of the country, lying between the English Channel to the north and the Bay of Biscay to the south. Its capital is Rennes. The region of Brittany is made up of 80% of the former Duchy and Province of Brittany. The remaining 20% of the province is the Loire-Atlantique department which now lies inside the Pays de la Loire region, whose capital, Nantes, was the historical capital of the Duchy of Brittany.   read more…

Nante’s motto “May Neptune be with the travelers”

11 March 2011 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Feydeau © Jibi44

Feydeau © Jibi44

Nantes is a city in western France, located on the Loire River, 50 km (31 mi) from the Atlantic coast. The city is the 6th largest in France, while its metropolitan area ranks 8th with over 800,000 inhabitants. Nantes is the capital city of the Pays de la Loire region and Loire-Atlantique département. It is also the major city of the historic province of Brittany, and culturally remains strongly identified with it.   read more…

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲