The Architecture Museum of the Technical University of Munich (TUM) is a university-based research museum dedicated to the history of architecture. It is operated by the Department of Architecture at the Technical University of Munich, with support from the Friends of the Architecture Museum TUM. It constitutes by far the largest specialized collection of architectural materials in Germany. Winfried Nerdinger was the museum’s founding director; he was succeeded by Andres Lepik on October 1, 2012. The museum’s exhibition spaces are located in the same building as the Pinakothek der Moderne. read more…
The Synagogue on Reichenbachstraße is a synagogue in Munich. The building is located in the Isarvorstadt close to the Gärtnerplatz. It was Munich’s main synagogue from 1947 until 2007 when the Ohel Jakob synagogue was opened. It was reopened in 2025 after being restored from the arson attack in 1970. read more…
Weißwurst (literally ‘white sausage’; Bavarian: Weißwuascht) is a traditional Bavariansausage made from minced veal and pork back fat. It is usually flavored with parsley, lemon, mace, onions, ginger and cardamom, although there are some variations. Then the mixture is stuffed into pork casings and separated into individual sausages measuring about 10 to 12 centimetres (3 7?8 – 4 3?4 inches) in length and 3–4 cm (1 1?8 – 1 5?8 in) in thickness. read more…
A dirndl is a feminine dress which originated in German-speaking areas of the Alps. It is traditionally worn by women and girls in Austria, Bavaria (south-eastern Germany), Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Alpine regions of Italy (South Tyrol). A dirndl consists of a close-fitting bodice with a low neckline, a blouse worn under the bodice, a wide high-waisted skirt and an apron. read more…
Sendlinger Straße is an important shopping street in Munich‘s city center. It extends into the Munich old town in the south-east-northeast direction from the Sendlinger Tor in the west to the point where Fürstenfelder Straße and the Rindermarkt meet in the east. In July 2016, the conversion from a one-way street into a pedestrian zone was attempted. read more…
The NS-Dokumentationszentrum is a museum in the Maxvorstadt area of Munich, Germany, which focuses on the history and consequences of the Nazi regime and the role of Munich as Hauptstadt der Bewegung (?capital of the movement?). read more…
The Haus der Kunst (House of Art) is a non-collecting modern and contemporary artmuseum in Munich, Germany. It is located at Prinzregentenstraße 1 at the southern edge of the Englischer Garten, Munich’s largest park. Despite being a non-collecting institution, Haus der Kunst has over the years received numerous works of art. In 2011, Haus der Kunst forged a partnership with the private Goetz Collection to co-curate exhibits of video art. By 2013, it was one of the beneficiaries – along with the Bavarian State Museums and the Neues Museum in Nuremberg – when Ingvild Goetz donated her collection of video art to the state of Bavaria and made the collection as a whole, which includes almost 5,000 works, available on permanent loan. In 2017, Jewish artist Mel Bochner donated his piece Joys of Yiddish (2012-15) to Haus der Kunst. Comprising a list of Yiddish words in yellow on black, it traverses the museum’s façade as a reminder of the tragic disappearance of the language from German culture. read more…
The BMW Welt is a combined exhibition, delivery, adventure museum, and event venue located in Munich‘s district Am Riesenfeld, next to the Olympic Park, in the immediate vicinity of the BMW Headquarters and factory. It was built from August 2003 to summer 2007. A solar system with 800 kW of power is installed on the roof of the main building. The opening took place on 17 October 2007. The BMW Welt is the most visited tourist attraction in Bavaria. read more…
The Hofbräuhaus am Platzl is a beer hall in Munich, Germany, originally built in 1589 by Bavarian DukeMaximilian I as an extension of the Staatliches Hofbräuhaus in München brewery. The general public was admitted in 1828 by Ludwig I. The building was completely remodeled in 1897 by Max Littmann when the brewery moved to the suburbs. All of the rooms except the historic beer hall (“Schwemme”) were destroyed in the World War II bombings. The reopening of the Festival Hall in 1958 marked the end of the post-war restoration work. read more…