Chapel of Reconciliation in Berlin

9 November 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General

© Immanuel Giel

© Immanuel Giel

The Chapel of Reconciliation (German: Kapelle der Versöhnung) is a place of worship in Berlin, Germany. It stands on the site of the old Church of Reconciliation (German: Versöhnungskirche), on Bernauer Strasse in the Mitte district. The church was completed in 1894 as an imposing brick-built building by the architect Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel, in the Gothic revival style. It sustained some damage in the Second World War, and still had a deactivated American bomb in the basement discovered during its reconstruction in 1999, but the church survived the war.   read more…

Mosque–Cathedral of Córdoba

30 May 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, UNESCO World Heritage

© flickr.com - Toni Castillo Quero/cc-by-sa-2.0

© flickr.com – Toni Castillo Quero/cc-by-sa-2.0

The Mosque-cathedral of Córdoba (Spanish: Mezquita–catedral de Córdoba), also known as the Great Mosque of Córdoba (Spanish: Mezquita de Córdoba), whose ecclesiastical name is the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption (Spanish: Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción), is the Catholic Christian cathedral of the Diocese of Córdoba dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and located in the Spanish region of Andalusia. The structure is regarded as one of the most accomplished monuments of Moorish architecture.   read more…

Theme Week Istanbul – Hagia Sophia

23 May 2015 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, UNESCO World Heritage, Union for the Mediterranean

© Dennis Jarvis/cc-by-sa-2.0

© Dennis Jarvis/cc-by-sa-2.0

Hagia Sophia (“Holy Wisdom“) is a former Greek Orthodox patriarchal basilica (church), later an imperial mosque, and now a museum (Ayasofya Müzesi) in Istanbul. From the date of its construction in 537 until 1453, it served as an Eastern Orthodox cathedral and seat of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 29 May 1453 until 1931. It was then secularized and opened as a museum on 1 February 1935.   read more…

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲