Portrait: Angela Merkel, physicist and first female chancellor of Germany

26 January 2022 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Portrait Reading Time:  11 minutes

© א (Aleph)/cc-by-sa-2.5

© א (Aleph)/cc-by-sa-2.5

Angela Dorothea Merkel is a German politician and scientist who served as the chancellor of Germany from 2005 to 2021. A member of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), she previously served as leader of the Opposition from 2002 to 2005 and as Leader of the CDU from 2000 to 2018. Merkel was the first female chancellor of Germany. During her tenure as Chancellor, Merkel was frequently referred to as the de facto leader of the European Union (EU) and the most powerful woman in the world.   read more…

Prussian House of Lords in Berlin

3 November 2021 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General Reading Time:  8 minutes

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Prussian House of Lords (German: Preußisches Herrenhaus) in Berlin was the upper house of the Landtag of Prussia (German: Preußischer Landtag), the parliament of Prussia from 1850 to 1918. Together with the lower house, the House of Representatives (Abgeordnetenhaus), it formed the Prussian bicameral legislature. Modeled on the House of Lords of the United Kingdom, the Herrenhaus was created following the 1848 revolution with the adoption of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Prussia imposed by King Frederick William IV on 31 January 1850. A member of the House of Lords was known as a pair (see also pairie), or officially as a member of the Prussian House of Lords (Mitglieder des preußischen Herrenhauses, or MdH). The House consisted of hereditary peers, life peers appointed by the King of Prussia, peers by virtue of position, representatives of cities and universities, etc. The majority of members were nobles, although the House also had commoners as members, especially among the representatives of cities and universities.   read more…

Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design

1 June 2021 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Architecture, Berlin, General, House of the Month, Museums, Exhibitions Reading Time:  7 minutes

© janine pohl/cc-by-sa-2.5

© janine pohl/cc-by-sa-2.5

The Bauhaus Archive (German: Bauhaus-Archiv) is a state archive and Museum of Design located in Berlin. It collects art pieces, items, documents and literature which relate to the Bauhaus School (1919–1933), and puts them on public display. Currently, the museum is closed due to construction works and will reopen in 2022. It has a temporary space at Knesbeckstr. 1-2 in Berlin-Charlottenburg.   read more…

National Gallery Berlin

28 May 2021 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions Reading Time:  8 minutes

Alte Nationalgalerie © Manfred Brückels

Alte Nationalgalerie © Manfred Brückels

The National Gallery (German: Nationalgalerie) in Berlin, Germany, is a museum for art of the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. It is part of the Berlin State Museums. From the Alte Nationalgalerie, which was built for it and opened in 1876, its exhibition space has expanded to include five other locations. The museums are part of the Berlin State Museums, owned by the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation.   read more…

New Guardhouse in Berlin

5 May 2021 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General Reading Time:  14 minutes

© Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

© Ansgar Koreng/cc-by-sa-3.0-de

The Neue Wache (English: New Guard) is a listed building on Unter den Linden boulevard in the historic centre of Berlin, Germany. Erected from 1816 to 1818 according to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel as a guardhouse for the Royal Palace and a memorial to the Liberation Wars, it is considered as a major work of Prussian Neoclassical architecture. A Victoria relief by Johann Gottfried Schadow and five General statues by Christian Daniel Rauch, referring to the Warrior statues on Schlossbrücke, also belong to the ensemble. Since 1993, the Neue Wache has been home to the Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Victims of War and Tyranny.   read more…

Chapel of Reconciliation in Berlin

9 November 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General Reading Time:  9 minutes

© Immanuel Giel

© Immanuel Giel

The Chapel of Reconciliation (German: Kapelle der Versöhnung) is a place of worship in Berlin, Germany. It stands on the site of the old Church of Reconciliation (German: Versöhnungskirche), on Bernauer Strasse in the Mitte district. The church was completed in 1894 as an imposing brick-built building by the architect Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel, in the Gothic revival style. It sustained some damage in the Second World War, and still had a deactivated American bomb in the basement discovered during its reconstruction in 1999, but the church survived the war.   read more…

Simon Dach Street in Berlin

21 October 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General Reading Time:  7 minutes

© Bernt Müller/cc-by-sa-2.0/de

© Bernt Müller/cc-by-sa-2.0/de

Simon-Dach-Straße is a street that was laid out towards the end of the 19th century and is located in Berlin’s Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg district, Friedrichshain. In 1903 it was named after the German song writer Simon Dach. Together with the neighboring roads Wühlischstraße, Boxhagener Straße, Krossener Straße and Gabriel-Max-Straße, it forms the area known as Simon-Dach-Kiez, which has developed into the preferred tourist mile since the 2000s. Numerous clubs, restaurants, hotels and guest houses as well as trendy bars have settled in the areas mentioned.   read more…

Berlin State Opera

4 September 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General, Opera Houses, Theaters, Libraries Reading Time:  19 minutes

© Marek Śliwecki/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Marek Śliwecki/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Berlin State Opera (German: Staatsoper Berlin) is a listed building on Unter den Linden boulevard in the historic center of Berlin. It was erected by order of Frederick the Great from 1741 to 1743 according to plans by Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff in Palladian style. Damaged during the Allied bombing in World War II, the former Royal Prussian Opera House was rebuilt from 1951 to 1955 as part of the Forum Fridericianum square. Nicknamed Lindenoper, it is “the first theater anywhere to be, by itself, a prominent, freestanding monumental building in a city.”   read more…

Rocco Forte Hotel de Rome in Berlin

1 September 2020 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General, House of the Month, Hotels Reading Time:  7 minutes

Rocco Forte Hotel de Rome © Beek100/cc-by-sa-3.0

Rocco Forte Hotel de Rome © Beek100/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Rocco Forte Hotel de Rome is a luxurious hotel in the Mitte neighborhood of Berlin in the district of the same name. It belongs to the Rocco Forte Hotels, is located at Behrenstraße 37 on Bebelplatz and was opened in October 2006. The name of the hotel is reminiscent of the Grand Hotel de Rome, which until 1910 stood around 400 meters away. The St. Hedwig’s Cathedral and the State Opera Unter den Linden are in the immediate vicinity. The Hotel de Rome belongs to the hotel organization The Leading Hotels of the World.   read more…

Return to TopReturn to Top