South Wraxall in Wiltshire

Friday, 21 July 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  3 minutes

The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk - Graham Horn/cc-by-sa-2.0

The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk – Graham Horn/cc-by-sa-2.0

South Wraxall is a village and a civil parish in Wiltshire, England, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Bradford-on-Avon. The village is to the east of the B3109 road from Bradford-on-Avon to Corsham. The parish includes the village of Lower Wraxall, to the south of South Wraxall; one field separates the two villages. The hamlet of Bradford Leigh is in the southeast of the parish.

There are no longer any shops in the village and the school, built as a National school in 1841, closed in 1972. The school building now serves as the Village Hall. The Longs Arms public house is in the centre of the village. South Wraxall Club is located in Lower South Wraxall.

The civil parish of South Wraxall was created in 1894 by combining the former tithings of South Wraxall, Bradford Leigh and Cumberwell which were parts of the extensive ancient parish of Bradford on Avon. The parish gained 1040 acres, and around 170 residents, in 1934 when the parish of Bradford Without was abolished and its area redistributed to the surrounding parishes. Most of the buildings of South Wraxall are of the 17th and 18th centuries, built from locally quarried dressed stone, or stone rubble construction with stone slates. Besides quarrying, the main occupation around the area was agriculture, including shepherding; there were also weavers in the early 19th century, and some clothworkers by the mid-19th century.

The Plough in Bradford Leigh © geograph.org.uk - Ian S/cc-by-sa-2.0 South Wraxall Manor © geograph.org.uk - David Smart/cc-by-sa-2.0 South Wraxall village hall © geograph.org.uk - Nick Smith/cc-by-sa-2.0 Church and The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk - Phil Williams/cc-by-sa-2.0 St James's church © My another account The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk - Graham Horn/cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
Church and The Longs Arms public house © geograph.org.uk - Phil Williams/cc-by-sa-2.0
South Wraxall Manor is a Grade I listed country house dating from the early 15th century. The manor farmhouse is also Grade I listed. The heirs of Walter Long, 1st Viscount Long sold the house in the 1960s, after several hundred years of continuous ownership, and in 2004 it was bought by the musician John Taylor.

St. James‘ parish church is Grade II* listed. Its tower dates from the early 14th century but the rest has been rebuilt: the north aisle in 1823 by Henry Goodridge, and the chancel and arcade in 1882 in late Perpendicular Gothic style. The six bells in the tower were cast by Abraham Bilbie in 1769, and restored and re-hung in 2022.

Read more on Wikipedia South Wraxall Manor and Wikipedia South Wraxall (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week North Korea - Wonsan

Theme Week North Korea - Wonsan

[caption id="attachment_218551" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - stngiam/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wŏnsan, previously known as Wŏnsanjin, Port Lazarev, and Genzan, is a port city and naval base located in Kangwŏn Province, North Korea, along the eastern side of the Korean Peninsula, on Sea of Japan and the provincial capital. The port was opened by occupying Japanese forces in 1880. Before the 1950–1953 Korean War, it fell within the jurisdiction of the then South Hamgyŏng province, and dur...

[ read more ]

Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden

Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden

[caption id="attachment_237956" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter entrance © Karen Roe/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Warner Bros. Studios, Leavesden is an 80 ha (200-acre) studio complex in Leavesden in Watford, Hertfordshire, in the East of England. Formerly known as Leavesden Film Studios and still colloquially known as Leavesden Studios or simply Leavesden, it is a film and media complex owned by Warner Bros. The studios were all converted from an aircraft fac...

[ read more ]

Würzburg Residence

Würzburg Residence

[caption id="attachment_222708" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kaisersaal © Andreas Faessler/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Würzburg Residence (German: Würzburger Residenz) is a palace in Würzburg, Germany. Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch, representatives of the Austrian/South German Baroque style, were involved in the construction, as well as Robert de Cotte and Germain Boffrand, who were followers of the French Style. Balthasar Neumann, court architect of the Bishop of Würzburg, was th...

[ read more ]

The Beverly Wilshire Hotel

The Beverly Wilshire Hotel

[caption id="attachment_184673" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - otterboris/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel), commonly known as the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, is a historic luxury hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Located at 9500 Wilshire Boulevard on the east side of South Rodeo Drive, it was completed in 1928. It has been used as a shooting location for films and television series. Guests have included US presidents and celebrities. In 1990, he Beve...

[ read more ]

The Sistine Chapel

The Sistine Chapel

[caption id="attachment_151235" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sistine Chapel © Maus-Trauden/GFDL[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sistine Chapel is the best-known chapel in the Apostolic Palace, the official residence of the Pope in the Vatican City. It is famous for its architecture and its decoration that was frescoed throughout by Renaissance artists including Michelangelo, Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Pinturicchio and others. Under the patronage of Pope Julius II, Michelangelo painted 1,100 m2 (12,000 sq ft) of the chape...

[ read more ]

Treppenviertel, Hamburg's Riviera

Treppenviertel, Hamburg's Riviera

[caption id="attachment_238483" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Kroppe/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Treppenviertel ("Stairs Quarter") is a neighborhood within the Hamburg district of Blankenese, located about 10 kilometers west of the city center. It is bordered by Süllberg, Baurs Park and the Hesse Park and, to the south, by the banks of the Elbe. There are few motorable roads in it. The majority of the houses can only be reached on foot via more than 5000 steps, which are spread over various staircases. The ...

[ read more ]

The origins of Jerusalem stone architecture in East Jerusalem

The origins of Jerusalem stone architecture in East Jerusalem

[caption id="attachment_213771" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old town Suq Aftimos © Rastaman3000/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jerusalem stone (Meleke) is a lithologic type of white, coarsely-crystalline, thickly bedded-limestone found in the Judean Hills in Israel and the West Bank. It has been used in the traditional architecture of Jerusalem since ancient times, especially in Herodian architecture. Though it is often popularly referred to as Jerusalem stone, that phrase can refer to a number of different types o...

[ read more ]

Dartmouth in the southern English county of Devon

Dartmouth in the southern English county of Devon

[caption id="attachment_151092" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Royal Castle Hotel © Jim[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dartmouth is a town and civil parish in the English county of Devon. It is a tourist destination set on the banks of the estuary of the River Dart, which is a long narrow tidal ria that runs inland as far as Totnes. It lies within the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and South Hams District, and has a population of 5,512. The Pilgrim Fathers put into Dartmouth's Bayard's Cove, en-route fr...

[ read more ]

Martha’s Vineyard on the Atlantic

Martha’s Vineyard on the Atlantic

[caption id="attachment_27934" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Dock on Martha's Vineyard © flickr.com - m01229/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Martha's Vineyard is an island located south of Cape Cod in Massachusetts, known for being an affluent summer colony. It is accessible only by boat and air. It includes the smaller Chappaquiddick Island. Martha's Vineyard is part of a chain of islands known as the Outer Lands. The island is a part of Dukes County, which also includes Cuttyhunk, as well as the island of Nomans Land, ...

[ read more ]

The MSC Splendida

The MSC Splendida

[caption id="attachment_232406" align="aligncenter" width="590"] MSC Splendida in Marseille, France © MarcoMi66/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]MSC Splendida is a Fantasia-class cruise ship owned and operated by MSC Cruises. MSC Splendida was completed in 2009 at a cost of $550 million and is a sister ship to MSC Fantasia, originally, she was to be named MSC Serenata, but the name was changed in May 2007 to MSC Splendida. She measures 137,936 GT, and is 333.30 m long with a beam of 37.98 m, a height of 66.81 m and a draf...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Martin Stiburek/cc-by-sa-4.0
Alassio on the Italian Riviera

Alassio (Ligurian: Arasce) is a town and comune in the province of Savona situated in the western coast of Liguria,...

Hôtel Brochet de Saint-Prest on rue des Saints-Pères © Celette/cc-by-sa-4.0
Sciences Po in Paris

The Paris Institute of Political Studies (French: Institut d'études politiques de Paris), also known as Sciences Po or Sciences Po...

German Toy Museum © Störfix/cc-by-sa-3.0-de
Sonneberg, the world toy city in Thuringia

Sonneberg in Thuringia, Germany, is the seat of the Sonneberg district. It is in the Franconian south of Thuringia, neighboring...

Close