Slavkov u Brna or Austerlitz in the Czech Republic

Monday, 21 June 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

Slavkov u Brna © flickr.com - flightlog/cc-by-2.0

Slavkov u Brna © flickr.com – flightlog/cc-by-2.0

Slavkov u Brna (historically known in German as Austerlitz) is a town in Vyškov District in the South Moravian Region of the Czech Republic. It has about 6,900 inhabitants. The town gave its name to the Battle of Austerlitz which took place several kilometres to the west of the town. Baroque Slavkov Castle has 115 rooms and an impressive garden in the French style. The Palace was designed by Italian architect Domenico Martinelli. In its historic salon, an armistice was signed between Austria and France after the battle of Austerlitz on 2 December 1805. There is a small historic museum (only in Czech) and a multimedia presentation about the battle. On the main square is a late Renaissance town hall and mansion. Parts of the old town wall can also be seen. Church of the Resurrection of the Lord (on the south side of the main square). The classicist building with three pulpits was designed from 1786–1789 by the Viennese architect Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg. Only the synagogue (built in 1858) remains from the Jewish ghetto. There is also a Jewish cemetery a little bit outside the town. “Austerlitz” is a Jewish family name, of which the bearers are nowadays spread worldwide but which indicate and ultimate family origin in the town – Austerlitz (family). The dancer Fred Astaire was born Fred Austerlitz, and thus it could be assumed that his ancestors lived in this town.

At the beginning of the 13th century, the Teutonic Order built a monastery stronghold whose remains can still be seen today in the vaults of the Austerlitz Palace. The first written testimony about the place date from 1237. The Czech name Slavkov is first documented in 1361, the German name Austerlitz in 1633. After the defeat of the Order in the Battle of Grunwald, the town became the property of a number of noble owners until, in 1509, the local noble family of Kaunitz assumed control for more than 400 years.

Slavkov Castle © flickr.com - Herbert Frank/cc-by-2.0 Slavkov Castle © Kirk/cc-by-sa-3.0 Synagogue © Filo/cc-by-sa-4.0 Town hall © flickr.com - Herbert Frank/cc-by-2.0 Vila Austerlitz © Palickap/cc-by-sa-4.0 Church of the Resurrection of Christ © flickr.com - Herbert Frank/cc-by-2.0 Slavkov u Brna © flickr.com - flightlog/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Church of the Resurrection of Christ © flickr.com - Herbert Frank/cc-by-2.0
The Battle of Austerlitz actually took place several kilometers to the west of Slavkov u Brna. Public transport to the site is limited, and the landscape has preserved its bucolic aspect. Agriculture still dominates the hilly terrain which has not changed much (apart from the sprawl of the villages). A highway bisects the battlefield.

  • The Old Post (Stará pošta) in Kovalovice is an original building dating from 1785, which now serves as a hotel and restaurant. On 28 November 1805, the French cavalry general Murat set up his headquarters here. On the day of the battle, the Russian general Bagration had his headquarters here. After the battle, Napoleon slept in this house and held preliminary negotiations about an armistice. A small museum commemorates these events.
  • On Santon Hill to east of Tvarožná is a small white chapel. The hill was a mainstay of the French position and allowed the French artillery to dominate the northern portion of the battlefield. Below the hill, the yearly historical reenactments take place.
  • On Žuráň Hill Napoleon Bonaparte had his headquarters. A granite monument depicts the battlefield positions.
  • In Šlapanice there is a number of mass graves with a monument.
  • The Peace Memorial (Mohyla míru) on Prace Hill. The memorial near Prace was designed and built in the Art-Nouveau style by Josef Fanta, an architect from Prague, during 1910 to 1912. The World War I postponed the monument’s dedication until 1923. It is 26 m high, square, with four female statues symbolizing France, Austria, Russia and Moravia. Within is a chapel with an ossuary. A small museum commemorates the battle. Every year, the events of the battle of Austerlitz are commemorated in a ceremony.
  • Near Křenovice stands a weathered peace cross.
  • The Old Vineyards (Staré vinohrady) near Blažovice saw the bloody collision of the French and Russian guards. In 2005, a new Monument to the Three Emperors has been erected.

Much in the same way that in London, the English have named Waterloo Station to commemorate their victory at Waterloo, the French gave the name of Austerlitz to one of the major Parisian train stations, the Gare d’Austerlitz. There is also a Quai d’Austerlitz in the 13th arrondissement of Paris. In the Netherlands a small village was founded in commemoration of the battle: Austerlitz (Netherlands); as was a small town in New York, Austerlitz, New York.

Read more on ANUMuseum.org.il – The Jewish Community of Slavkov u Brna und Wikipedia Slavkov u Brna (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Nîmes, capital of the Gard department

Nîmes, capital of the Gard department

[caption id="attachment_153793" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Arènes de Nîmes © Armin Kübelbeck/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Nîmes is a city in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France. It is the capital of the Gard department. Nîmes is located between the Mediterranean Sea and the Cévennes mountains. The estimated population of Nîmes is 176,000. Nîmes has a rich history, dating back to the Roman Empire when the city was home to 50,000 – 60,000 people. Augustus gave the town a ring of ra...

[ read more ]

Chilham in Kent

Chilham in Kent

[caption id="attachment_230598" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com © Ray in Manila/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chilham is a mostly agricultural village and parish in the English county of Kent with a clustered settlement, Chilham village centre, in the northeast, and a smaller linear settlement, Shottenden. Well-preserved roads and mostly residential listed buildings in its centre have led to its use as a location in television and film. The village of Chilham is in the valley of the Great Stour Rive...

[ read more ]

Expo Tel Aviv

Expo Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_202125" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dr. Avishai Teicher/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Expo Tel Aviv (formerly the Israel Trade Fairs and Convention Center and later the Tel Aviv Convention Center, although commonly referred to locally as Exhibition Gardens and also as the Tel Aviv Fairgrounds) is a site located on Rokach Boulevard in northern Tel Aviv. It serves as a venue for a variety of events, including concerts, exhibitions, trade fairs and conferences. Established in 1932 as "Y...

[ read more ]

Braunschweig, the Lion City

Braunschweig, the Lion City

[caption id="attachment_149022" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Brunswick Lion © Brunswyk[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]With round 245.000 inhabitants, Braunschweig is the biggest city in the area between Hanover and Berlin. It is the centre of the region, as much today as it has been in the past. Today's attractive profile of the Lion City is due to its rich and proud history, its steady development as a dynamic place for business, trading, sciences and research as well as its extensive cultural activities. Braunschweig’s histo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Champagne - Langres

Theme Week Champagne - Langres

[caption id="attachment_153548" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Langres © Vassil[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Langres is a commune and a subprefecture of the Haute-Marne département. The town is built on a limestone promontory of the same name. This stronghold was originally occupied by the Gauls, and, at a later date the Romans fortified the town belonging to the Celtic tribe the Lingones; Andemantunum the strategic cross-roads of twelve Roman roads. The 1st century Triumphal Gate and the many artefacts exhibited in the museums...

[ read more ]

Daytona Beach in Florida

Daytona Beach in Florida

[caption id="attachment_152304" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Welcome to Daytona Beach! © Dan Petreikis/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Daytona Beach is a city in Volusia County, Florida. The city is located approximately 51 miles (82.1 km) northeast of Orlando, 86 miles (138.4 km) southeast of Jacksonville, and 242 miles (389.5 km) northwest of Miami. The city has a population of 61,000. It is a principal city of the Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area, which was home to 495,...

[ read more ]

Gerberoy in Hauts-de-France

Gerberoy in Hauts-de-France

[caption id="attachment_236882" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Chatsam/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gerberoy is a commune in the Oise department in northern France, in the old pays of Beauvaisis. The old village with many half-timbered houses, and traces of the medieval castle, is listed in the plus beaux villages de France (Most beautiful French villages). [gallery size="large" gss="1" ids="236880,236881,236882,236883,236884,236885"]The siege and battle of Gerberoy was fought between William the Conquer...

[ read more ]

Grand Synagogue of Paris

Grand Synagogue of Paris

[caption id="attachment_237345" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Luiza Fediuc/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Grand Synagogue of Paris (French: Grande Synagogue de Paris), generally known as Synagogue de la Victoire (English: Synagogue of Victory) or Grande Synagogue de la Victoire (English: Grand Synagogue of Victory), is situated at 44, Rue de la Victoire, in the 9th arrondissement. It also serves as the official seat of the chief rabbi of Paris. The architect was Alfred-Philibert Aldrophe (1834–1895) ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Jordan - Zarqa

Theme Week Jordan - Zarqa

[caption id="attachment_165896" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Zarqa River Valley © defenseimagery.mil - Jim Greenhill[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zarqa is situated 15 miles (24 km) from Amman, in a northeastern most direction and is the capital of Zarqa Governorate. Its name means "the blue one". Russeifa, the second largest city in the governorate and the fourth largest city in Jordan, is located half way between Zarqa and Amman. Zarqa is Jordan's industrial center. It is home to over 50% of Jordanian factories. The growth of...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uruguay - Las Piedras

Theme Week Uruguay - Las Piedras

[caption id="attachment_184143" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Museo de la Uva y el Vino © Roxyuru/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Las Piedras is a city in the Canelones Department of Uruguay. As of the census of 2011, it is the fifth most populated city of the country. Las Piedras is also the name of the municipality to which the city belongs. According to the 2011 census, Las Piedras had a population of 71,258. In 2010 the Intendencia de Canelones had estimated a population of 79,412 for the municipality during the e...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© superdragon67/cc-by-sa-3.0
El Gouna in Egypt

El Gouna is an Egyptian tourist resort, owned by Samih Sawiris and developed by Orascom Hotels and Development, dating from...

© Andreas Faessler/cc-by-sa-4.0
Seestadt Aspern in Vienna

The Seestadt Aspern (officially also Aspern Seestadt, project name: aspern - Vienna's Urban Lakeside) is a district under construction in...

backside © Averette/cc-by-3.0
FTX Arena in Miami

The FTX Arena (formerly known as American Airlines Arena) is a sports and entertainment multi-purpose arena located in Miami, Florida,...

Close