Seligman in Arizona

Friday, 24 August 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

Welcome sign © Vidor

Welcome sign © Vidor

Seligman is a census-designated place (CDP) on the northern border of Yavapai County, in northwestern Arizona. Seligman is located at 5,240 feet (1,600 m) in elevation, alongside the Big Chino Wash, in a northern section of Chino Valley. The wash is a major tributary of the Verde River. Seligman is a popular stopping point along Historic U.S. Route 66.

The region was in the longtime homeland of the Havasupai people, who had a settlement in the present day Seligman area. The town site was on Beale’s Wagon Road, and a stage stop on the Mojave Road. Originally, Seligman was called “Prescott Junction”, because it was the railroad stop on the Santa Fe mainline junction with the Prescott and Arizona Central Railway Company feeder line running to Prescott, in the Arizona Territory. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF) had reached it in 1882. In 1886 it was renamed Seligman, after Jesse Seligman, one of the founders of J.W. Seligman Co. of New York, who helped finance the railroad lines in the area. The original feeder line to Prescott was replaced in 1891 by the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railway with the Santa Fe mainline junction at Ash Fork instead. Because of its flat land Seligman became a large switching yard consisting of many tracks, and served as a large livestock shipping center for the areas ranchers. It was also a terminal point for changing train crews between Winslow and Needles, who used overnight cottages in the town.

Historic Seligman Sundries © Alexander Blecher/cc-by-sa-3.0 Old Seligman © panoramio.com - Pavel Špindler/cc-by-3.0 Commercial Historic District © Pierre André/cc-by-sa-4.0 Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In © PMDrive1061/cc-by-sa-3.0 Roadkill 66 Cafe © DXR/cc-by-sa-4.0 Welcome sign © Vidor
<
>
Historic Seligman Sundries © Alexander Blecher/cc-by-sa-3.0
The “Havasu House” was a Fred Harvey Company Harvey House hotel and restaurant in Seligman, serving the Santa Fe Railway and local residents. It was named “Havasu” after the native Havasupai tribe of the area. Adjacent to it was the Santa Fe Depot and Reading Room. The Havasu Harvey House opened in 1905, closed in 1954, and was demolished in 2008. Passenger trains ceased stopping in Seligman in 1984. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (BNSF) has owned the tracks through town since 1996, which carries numerous freight trains and nonstop Amtrak trains. The former Santa Fe Reading room is now located at the Seligman High School.

The Seligman was on the original U.S. Route 66 from 1926 through 1978, when Interstate 40 bypassed it a few miles south. Seligman experienced its real heyday after World War II, when returning veterans and other motorists hit the road and made the Southwest a popular tourist destination. The Seligman Commercial Historic District protects the historical central area’s early 20th century commercial buildings along Historic Route 66, a revived popular tourist destination. Historic district contributing properties include the Pitts General Merchandise Store and the U.S. Post Office from 1903, the Pioneer Hall and Theatre and the Seligman Garage from 1905, and the Seligman Pool Hall from 1923. In 1987 Seligman gained its name “Birthplace of Historic Route 66” due to the efforts of Seligman residents, who convinced the State of Arizona to dedicate Route 66 a historic highway. Seligman is the first stop heading west on the longest uninterrupted stretch of historic Route 66, running around 160 miles (260 km) to Topock on the east side of the Colorado River.

Read more on VisitArizona.com – Seligman, VisitTheUSA.co.uk – 6 Authentic Restaurants on Route 66 – from Los Angeles to the Grand Canyon, Wikivoyage Seligman and Wikipedia Seligman (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Morocco - Fez

Theme Week Morocco - Fez

[caption id="attachment_167327" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Blue Gate © Bjørn Christian Tørrissen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fez is the second largest city of Morocco and the oldest (founded in 789) of the four imperial cities (Marrakesh, Meknes and Rabat). Fez was the capital city of modern Morocco until 1925 and is now the capital of the Fès-Meknès administrative region. The city has two old medina quarters, the larger of which is Fes el Bali. It is listed as a World Heritage Site and is believed to b...

[ read more ]

Les Invalides in Paris

Les Invalides in Paris

[caption id="attachment_171589" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hôtel des Invalides, as seen from the Tour Montparnasse © Jens Peter Clausen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Les Invalides, commonly known as Hôtel national des Invalides (The National Residence of the Invalids), or also as Hôtel des Invalides, is a complex of buildings in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, containing museums and monuments, all relating to the military history of France, as well as a hospital and a retirement home for war veterans, the bui...

[ read more ]

Lübeck, the Queen of the Hanseatic League

Lübeck, the Queen of the Hanseatic League

[caption id="attachment_160181" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall on Market Square © Mylius[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hanseatic City of Lübeck is the second-largest city in Schleswig-Holstein, in northern Germany, and one of the major ports of Germany. It was for several centuries the "capital" of the Hanseatic League ("Queen of the Hanse") and, because of its Brick Gothic architectural heritage, is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. In 2005 it had a population of 214,000. Situated at the Trave Riv...

[ read more ]

Katowice in Silesia

Katowice in Silesia

[caption id="attachment_154208" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Umkatowice/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Katowice is a city in Silesia in southern Poland, on the Kłodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula respectively). Katowice is located in the Silesian Highlands, about 50 km (31 mi) north of the Silesian Beskids (part of the Carpathian Mountains) and about 100 km (62 mi) southeast of the Sudetes Mountains. It is the central district of the Upper Silesian Metropolis, with a populati...

[ read more ]

Mljet in the Adriatic

Mljet in the Adriatic

[caption id="attachment_150771" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monastery of Saint Mary © Andres rus/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mljet is the most southerly and easterly of the larger Adriatic islands of the Dalmatia region of Croatia. The National Park includes the western part of the island, Veliko jezero, Malo jezero, Soline Bay and a sea belt 500 m wide from the most prominent cape of Mljet covering an area of 54 km2. The central parts of the park are Veliko jezero with the Isle of St. Mary, Malo jezero and the ...

[ read more ]

Abbey of the Dormition in Jerusalem

Abbey of the Dormition in Jerusalem

[caption id="attachment_172158" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Tango7174/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Abbey of the Dormition is an abbey and the name of a Benedictine community in Jerusalem on Mount Zion just outside the walls of East Jerusalem's Old City near the Zion Gate. Between 1998 and 2006 the community was known as the Abbey of Hagia Maria Sion, in reference to the Basilica of Hagia Sion that stood on this spot during the Byzantine period, but it resumed the original name during the 2006 celebrations of th...

[ read more ]

Taipei, capital of Taiwan

Taipei, capital of Taiwan

[caption id="attachment_24861" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Office of the President © Jiang[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Taipei, officially known as Taipei City, is the capital of Taiwan. Situated at the northern tip of Taiwan, Taipei is located on the Tamsui River; it is about 25 km (16 mi) southwest of Keelung, a port city on the Pacific Ocean. It lies in the Taipei Basin, an ancient lakebed bounded by the two relatively narrow valleys of the Keelung and Xindian rivers, which join to form the Tamsui River along the city's we...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uruguay - Colonia del Sacramento

Theme Week Uruguay - Colonia del Sacramento

[caption id="attachment_184173" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Misiones de los Tapes Street at night © Flc1980/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Colonia del Sacramento, formerly the Portuguese Colónia do Sacramento) is a city in southwestern Uruguay, by the Río de la Plata, facing Buenos Aires, Argentina. It is one of the oldest towns in Uruguay and capital of the Colonia Department. It has a population of around 27,000. It is renowned for its historic quarter, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Modern Colonia del Sacrament...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Downtown Salto © Shant/cc-by-sa-2.5
Theme Week Uruguay – Salto

Salto is the capital city of the Salto Department in northwestern Uruguay. As of the 2011 census it had a...

View of Rivera, as seen from Cerro Marconi © Mx. Granger
Theme Week Uruguay – Rivera

Rivera is the capital of Rivera Department of Uruguay. The border with Brazil joins it with the Brazilian city of...

US President Barack Obama taking his Oath of Office © defenseimagery.mil - Master Sgt. Cecilio Ricardo
Portrait: Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States of America

Barack Hussein Obama II is an American politician who served as the 44th President of the United States from January...

Schließen