St. Julian’s in Malta

Tuesday, 23 August 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  6 minutes

© panoramio.com - Michelle Maria/cc-by-3.0

© panoramio.com – Michelle Maria/cc-by-3.0

Saint Julian’s (Maltese: San Ġiljan) is a town in the Central Region of Malta. As of 2020, its registered number of inhabitants stands at 13,800. It is situated along the coast, north of the country’s capital, Valletta. It is known for tourism-oriented businesses, such as hotels, restaurants and nightclubs which are centred mainly in an area known as Paceville. The town is subdivided into informal districts which are Paceville, Ta’ Ġiorni, Tal-Għoqod and St Andrew’s, as well as the regions surrounding St George’s Bay, Spinola Bay, Balluta Bay, and Il-Qaliet cliffs. St Julian’s is a tourist destination, especially during the summer months. The Portomaso Business Tower, which is Malta’s current tallest building at a height of 97.54 metres, is located in St. Julian’s.

Up till the nineteenth and early twentieth century, St. Julians was a very peaceful coastal town known for its Latin architecture such as the Spinola Palace and greenery surrounding it. Moreover, Spinola bay was characterized by its fishermen and farmers dwelling the countryside. This Coastal town has seen one of the largest infrastructure developments on the island with many old houses being demolished to construct blocks of apartments. In 2020 plans to develop a tourist Ferry point within Balluta Bay have been met with public concern and protests by individuals, Local Council and Ngos.

The earliest documentary evidence of the Old Parish Church is of the pastoral visit of Bishop Tommaso Gargallo of 1601, which he says was built in 1580 and was dedicated to Saint Julian. In 1736, when Monsignor Alpheran de Bussan re-visited Saint Julian’s, he noted that the locality was already known as Portus Sancti Juliani, meaning after the patron saint. In 1854, the 600 or so residents of Saint Julian’s appealed to the church authority, in order to make it a parish. The chapter at Birkirkara protested strongly against such an application and consequently the application was denied; but it was granted at reapplication in 1891. Dun Guzepp Scerri became the first parish priest. The present parish church was designed by Maltese architect Arturo Zammit and its first stone was laid in 1961. It was used for the first time in 1968 when it was still not fully built. The church welcomed Pope John Paul II on his first visit to Malta on 27 May 1990. The Millenium Chapel designed by Maltese architect Richard England was inaugurated in 2000. It houses a meditation garden inaugurated in May 2018 as a refuge for contemplation and tranquility right in the heart of the entertainment Zone of Pacevile Built on the initiative and run by Fr Hilary Tagliaferro this church is run by Augustinian monks through the Millenium Chapel Foundation.

Independence Garden © Txllxt TxllxT/cc-by-sa-4.0 Balluta Buildings © Continentaleurope/cc-by-sa-4.0 Balluta Buildings © Txllxt TxllxT/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Thyes © Txllxt TxllxT/cc-by-sa-4.0 © panoramio.com - Michelle Maria/cc-by-3.0 Dragonara Palace © James John Borg/cc-by-sa-4.0_Palace-James_John_Borg-cc-by-sa-4.0 Dragonara Palace © Frank Vincentz/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Balluta Buildings © Continentaleurope/cc-by-sa-4.0
The town is named after its patron saint; Saint Julian who is widely known as Julian the Hospitaller and Julian the Poor whereby he is the patron Saint of hunters. Before the reform to the Calendar of Saints, the memorial to St Julian was on 27 January. Nowadays, it is celebrated on 12 February, although in Malta an additional feast, in the spirit of the many summer feasts around the island, is celebrated on the last Sunday of August. A very particular competition connected with the town’s feast is known as ‘ġostra’. This traditional competitive feat involves participants climbing and running as far as possible along a sloping greased pole which is suspended above the sea. The winner is the person to grab one of three flags dangling from the edge, each flag representing a certain prize. Another tradition connected with the feast of this locality is ‘Musketterija‘. Starting in 1982, this tradition sees Hunters firing blank cartridges filled with black powder from the roof of the parish church as the statue of the patron saint is brought out of the church. Many say this tradition is in line with the history of the locality which used to be hunting grounds for the Knights of Malta.

Because of fear of attacks by the Muslims, the Northern Coastal area remained undeveloped until the diminished attacks after 1565. The building of Spinola Palace, coming as it does in 1688, is to be regarded as the stepping stone for the coastal reclamation of San Ġiljan. The palace, together with the surrounding gardens, was built by Fra Paolo Raffaele Spinola for the public entertainment as stated in the inscription which one finds above the portico. The palace was enlarged in 1733 through the efforts of Fra Giovanni Battista Spinola, successor to his uncle as rector and Curator of the Abbazia. During the French occupation of these islands in 1798, St Julians was the first town in Malta to be conquered by French troops. In fact it was General Claude Henri Vaubois who led the French forces into Spinola bay.

Read more on Wikivoyage St. Julian’s and Wikipedia St. Julian’s (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Halle on Saale river

Halle on Saale river

[caption id="attachment_159780" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Paulus Quarter © Felix Abraham[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Halle is the largest city in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. It is also called Halle an der Saale (literally Halle on the Saale river, and in some historic references simply Saale after the river. The current official name of the city is Halle (Saale). Halle (Saale) is situated in the southern part of Saxony-Anhalt, along the river Saale which drains the surrounding plains and the greater part of the neig...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Outer Hebrides

Theme Week Outer Hebrides

[caption id="attachment_236492" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Kisimul Castle, Castlebay, Isle of Barra © flickr.com - Conor Lawless/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Outer Hebrides or Western Isles (Scottish Gaelic: Na h-Eileanan Siar or Na h-Eileanan an Iar or Na h-Innse Gall ("islands of the strangers"); Scots: Waster Isles), sometimes known as the Long Isle/Long Island (Scottish Gaelic: An t-Eilean Fada), is an island chain off the west coast of mainland Scotland. The islands are geographically coextensive with Comh...

[ read more ]

Alcochete on Tejo river

Alcochete on Tejo river

[caption id="attachment_151582" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old part of the city © Joaquim Alves Gaspar/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Alcochete is a municipality in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 17,569, in an area of 128.36 km². The municipality is composed of three parishes and is located in Setúbal District. The largest outlet mall in the Iberian Peninsula, Freeport Designer Outlet, is just outside town. Alcochete is known for its bullfighting tradition and its proximity to the longest bridge in...

[ read more ]

Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto

Late Baroque Towns of the Val di Noto

[caption id="attachment_26524" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Catania - Cathedral Sant' Agata © Berthold Werner/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Val di Noto is a geographical area of south east Sicily; it is dominated by the limestone Iblean plateau. The Val di Noto owes its fame to the reconstruction which underwent after the year 1693, when the entire area was decimated by an enormous earthquake. Following the earthquake, many towns were rebuilt on entirely new sites, such as Noto and Grammichele. The rulers of the ti...

[ read more ]

Palm Islands in Dubai

Palm Islands in Dubai

[caption id="attachment_164801" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palm Jumeirah, The Universe, The World and Palm Deira © Tobias Karlhuber[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Palm Islands are three artificial islands, Palm Jumeirah, Deira Island and Palm Jebel Ali, on the coast of Dubai. As of November 2014, only Palm Jumeirah has been completed. This island takes the form of a palm tree, topped by a crescent. After completion, Palm Jebel Ali will take a similar shape; each island will be host to a large number of residential, leisure and...

[ read more ]

Krakow is home to the second oldest university in Central Europe

Krakow is home to the second oldest university in Central Europe

[caption id="attachment_159771" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Fortress Wawel © Hstoffels[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kraków also Krakow, or Cracow, is the second largest and one of the oldest cities in Poland. Situated on the Vistula River (Polish: Wisła) in the Lesser Poland region, the city dates back to the 7th century. Kraków has traditionally been one of the leading centres of Polish academic, cultural and artistic life and is one of Poland's most important economic centres. It was the capital of Poland from 1038 to 15...

[ read more ]

Île de la Cité

Île de la Cité

[caption id="attachment_163538" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © GuidoR/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Île de la Cité is one of two remaining natural islands in the Seine within the city of Paris (the other being the Île Saint-Louis). It is the centre of Paris and the location where the medieval city was refounded. The western end has held a palace since Merovingian times, and its eastern end since the same period has been consecrated to religion, especially after the 10th-century construction of a cathedral pr...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Emilia-Romagna - Forlì

Theme Week Emilia-Romagna - Forlì

[caption id="attachment_152598" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall © Controllore Fiscale[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Forlì is the capital of the province of Forlì-Cesena. It's the central city of Romagna. The city is situated along the Via Emilia, to the right of the Montone river, and is an important agricultural centre. The city hosts many of Italy's culturally and artistically significant landmarks; It is also notable as the birthplace of painter Melozzo da Forlì, humanist historian Flavio Biondo, physicians...

[ read more ]

Scicli on Sicily

Scicli on Sicily

[caption id="attachment_232416" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © trolvag/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Scicli is a town and municipality in the Province of Ragusa in the south east of Sicily, southern Italy. It is 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Ragusa, and 188 kilometres (117 mi) from Palermo, and has a population (2017) of 27,051. Alongside seven other cities in the Val di Noto, it has been listed as one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. The municipality borders with Modica and Ragusa. The economy of Scicli is mostly ag...

[ read more ]

Lady Washington

Lady Washington

[caption id="attachment_152278" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lady Washington on Morro Bay © flickr.com - Michael L. Baird/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lady Washington is a ship name that is shared by at least 4 different small wooden merchant sailing vessels during two different time periods. The original sailed for about 10 years in the 18th century. A somewhat updated modern replica was created in 1989. Lady Washington has appeared in various films, portraying HMS Interceptor in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: T...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Pallastunturi hills in Pallas-Yllästunturin National Park © Petr Vodička/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Lapland

Lapland is the largest and northernmost region of Finland. The 21 municipalities in the region cooperate in a Regional Council....

© Almonroth/cc-by-sa-3.0
Jenin in the West Bank

Jenin is a Palestinian city in the northern West Bank. It serves as the administrative center of the Jenin Governorate...

Arenal de Son Servera © Olaf Tausch/cc-by-3.0
Cala Millor on Majorca

Cala Millor ("Best Bay") is a town located on the Spanish Balearic Island of Mallorca. It consists of a small...

Schließen