San Casciano in Val di Pesa in Tuscany

Thursday, 16 February 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Vignaccia76/cc-by-3.0

© Vignaccia76/cc-by-3.0

San Casciano in Val di Pesa is a comune (municipality) in the Metropolitan City of Florence in the Italian region Tuscany, located about 15 kilometres (9 mi) southwest of Florence. San Casciano in Val di Pesa borders the following municipalities; Greve in Chianti, Impruneta, Montespertoli, Scandicci and Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.

San Casciano is highly renowned for the production of wine and olive oil. The principal cellars of the wine company Antinori are established in San Casciano. A mutual bank (Banca di Credito Cooperativo del Chianti Fiorentino, now Chianti Banca) was established by don Narciso FUSI Proposto di San Casciano and has its main offices in San Casciano. The rest of the economy is mainly based on handicraft and tourism (especially agritourism). In the twentieth century it was a quite important centre of the Italian typographical industry.

Villa Le Corti © Vignaccia76/cc-by-sa-3.0 Villa Poggio Torselli © Vignaccia76/cc-by-sa-3.0 Castle of Gabbiano © Sailko/cc-by-3.0 The walls © Frigio55 © Vignaccia76/cc-by-3.0 Villa Le Corti © Vignaccia76/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Villa Poggio Torselli © Vignaccia76/cc-by-sa-3.0
San Casciano was originally mentioned as a fief of the Bishop of Florence, who made its first statutes in 1241. In 1278, the domain shifted to the Republic of Florence. A few years later San Casciano became the capital of a local alliance, including the Alliance of Campoli, and the seat of a podestà, therefore having the government of forty parish churches. By 1325 San Casciano had become so important that a statute of the Florence podestà described one of the main roads departing from the city as follows: “strada per quam itur ad ‘”Sanctum Cassianum”’ (…) versus civitatem Senarum et versus romanam Curiam” (i.e. “the road going through San Casciano towards Siena and Rome”). That San Casciano’s history is bound to its roads is shown also by its shape, which is in the form of a cross: one side going from Florence to Siena and the other, following the hills’ ridge, linking the Chianti area with Montelupo and the Arno river basin. Furthermore, a major role in San Casciano’s development was played by the improvement in agricultural productivity resulting from sharecropping, which led to population growth and the formation of commercial centres like Mercatale and the castle of San Casciano “a Decimo” itself.

The walls of this castle were built in the second half of the 14th century (and their ruins still exist today). Indeed, in the first half of the same century, San Casciano was completely undefended and therefore became an easy prey for condottieri and mercenary troops. San Casciano was occupied by the Holy Roman Emperor Henry VII from November 1312 to January 1313, the Duke of Lucca Castruccio Castracani in February 1325, and the French mercenary Moriale D’Albarno in July 1343. In consequence of these attacks, the Republic of Florence decided to fortify the village in 1354. The walls were in place by 1355 and, in addition, a “cassero” (i.e. a castle serving as barracks) was added in 1356.

A few years earlier, Walter VI of Brienne, Duke of Athens had planned to transform the village into a castle, to be called “Castel Ducale”, but the plan died with him. In 1494 Charles VIII of France camped near the village without entering it. Before his departure, he donated a large sum of money to the local Franciscan convent. In 1512 at the Albergaccio (near to Sant’Andrea in Percussina) Niccolò Machiavelli started his exile during which he wrote The Prince and The Mandrake. When the Grand Duchy of Tuscany rose to power, San Casciano lost its military and strategic role and its history followed that of Tuscany.

Read more on VisitTuscany.com – San Casciano in Val di Pesa, Wikivoyage San Casciano in Val di Pesa and Wikipedia San Casciano in Val di Pesa (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Kingdom Centre in Riyadh

The Kingdom Centre in Riyadh

[caption id="attachment_28195" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Riyadh Skyline © Muhaidib[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kingdom Centre is a 65-storey, 302.3 m (992 ft) skyscraper in Riyadh. It is the third tallest skyscraper in the country after the Abraj Al Bait Towers and the Burj Rafal, and is the world's third tallest building with a hole after the Shanghai World Financial Center and Tuntex Sky Tower. Besides the shopping mall, Kingdom Tower contains the Four Seasons Hotel Riyadh and apartments. There is a 56 m (184 ft)...

[ read more ]

Market Hall Stuttgart

Market Hall Stuttgart

[caption id="attachment_237441" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © MSeses/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Stuttgart market hall was opened in 1914 in Stuttgart city center (Dorotheenstrasse 4). Today the market hall is a food market in the upper price segment. It offers a total of 6,800 square meters of usable space for service providers and retailers, including 3,500 square meters on the ground floor for sales stalls. In 2010 there were 37 different stalls. The column-free space in the hall is 60 meters long and 25 ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uruguay

Theme Week Uruguay

[caption id="attachment_184137" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Punta del Este © Roberto Tietzmann/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Uruguay, officially the Oriental Republic of Uruguay, is a state in the southeastern region of South America. It borders Argentina to its west and Brazil to its north and east, with the Río de la Plata (River of Silver) to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the southeast. Uruguay is home to an estimated 3.44 million people, of whom 1.8 million live in the metropolitan area of its capital and ...

[ read more ]

The valley of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc

The valley of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc

[caption id="attachment_160659" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lake Blanc with the Mont-Blanc in the background © Mrvoyage[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Chamonix-Mont-Blanc or, more commonly, Chamonix is a commune in the Haute-Savoie département in the Rhône-Alpes region in south-eastern France. It was the site of the 1924 Winter Olympics, the first Winter Olympics. The commune's population of around 9,800 ranks 865th within the country of France. Situated near the massive peaks of the Aiguilles Rouges, Chamonix shares ...

[ read more ]

Synagogue of Halle (Saale)

Synagogue of Halle (Saale)

[caption id="attachment_216950" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Halle Synagogue © Allexkoch/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The synagogue of Halle (Saale) is the house of worship of the Jewish community in Halle (Saale), which had 555 members in 2018. The building was originally built in 1894 as the Tahara House of the Jewish cemetery, laid out in 1864 northeast of downtown Halle, from white and yellow bricks according to plans by the architects Gustav Wolff and Theodor Lehmann. The conversion to a synagogue took place ...

[ read more ]

Sandhamn, in the eastern part of Stockholm's archipelago

Sandhamn, in the eastern part of Stockholm's archipelago

[caption id="attachment_153832" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Arild Vågen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sandhamn ("Sand Harbour") is a small settlement in the central-peripheral part of the Stockholm Archipelago in central-eastern Sweden, approximately 50 km (30 mi) east of Stockholm. Sandhamn is located on the island Sandön ("Sand Island"), which is, however, colloquially referred to as Sandhamn. One of the most important natural ports in the archipelago with easy access to the Swedish capital, Sandhamn...

[ read more ]

Saint-Paul-de-Vence on the French Riviera

Saint-Paul-de-Vence on the French Riviera

[caption id="attachment_200783" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Jpchevreau/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint-Paul-de-Vence is a commune in the Alpes-Maritimes department in southeastern France with 3500 inhabitants. One of the oldest medieval towns on the French Riviera, it is well known for its modern and contemporary art museums and galleries such as Fondation Maeght which is located nearby. Saint-Paul-de-Vence has long been a haven of the famous, mostly due to the La Colombe d’Or hotel, whose former g...

[ read more ]

Koblenz, at the confluence of Rhine and Moselle rivers

Koblenz, at the confluence of Rhine and Moselle rivers

[caption id="attachment_159782" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Panorama Fortress Ehrenbreitstein © Holger Weinandt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Koblenz is a city situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence with the Moselle, where the Deutsches Eck (German Corner) and its monument (Emperor William I on horseback) are situated. As Koblenz was one of the military posts established by Drusus about 8 BC, the town celebrated its 2000th anniversary in 1992. The name Koblenz is from Latin (ad) confluentes, confluence or "(at t...

[ read more ]

Long Beach in California

Long Beach in California

[caption id="attachment_151535" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Long Beach © himefrias[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Long Beach is a city in Los Angeles County in Southern California, on the Pacific coast of the United States. The city is the 36th-largest city in the United States and the seventh-largest in California. As of 2010, its population was 462,000. In addition, Long Beach is the second largest city in the Greater Los Angeles Area after Los Angeles and a principal city of the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Me...

[ read more ]

Soltau in the Lüneburg Heath

Soltau in the Lüneburg Heath

[caption id="attachment_169727" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Heide Park Resort © Dirk Thierfelder/cc-by-sa-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Soltau is a mid-sized town in the Lüneburg Heath in the district of Heidekreis, in Lower Saxony. The town is nationwide well known especially because of a nukber of tourist attractions, such as Heide-Park, Soltau-Therme, Designer Outlet and Abenteuerresort Lüneburger Heide in nearby Bispingen. Soltau lies centrally between Bremen, Hamburg and Hanover on the river Böhme. The name Soltau ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - Dennis Jarvis/cc-by-sa-2.0
Kunstkamera in Saint Petersburg

The Kunstkamera (or Kunstkammer (German for "Culture Room" (literally) or "Art Chamber", typically used for a "cabinet of curiosities") is...

Coober Pedy opal at the South Australian Museum © Bahudhara/cc-by-sa-3.0
Coober Pedy in Australia, opal capital of the world

Coober Pedy is a town in northern South Australia, 846 km (526 mi) north of Adelaide on the Stuart Highway....

© TonyTheTiger/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Magnificent Mile in Chicago

The Magnificent Mile, sometimes referred to as The Mag Mile, is an upscale section of Chicago's Michigan Avenue, running from...

Close