Rue du Bac in Paris

Sunday, 15 January 2023 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Paris / Île-de-France
Reading Time:  3 minutes

© flickr.com - Fred Romero/cc-by-2.0

© flickr.com – Fred Romero/cc-by-2.0

Rue du Bac is a street on the Rive Gauche, the left bank of the Seine in Paris (7th arrondissement). It is known for the apparitions of the Virgin Mary, which are said to have appeared here several times to the nun Catherine Labouré in 1830. Rue du Bac, like many other streets around Paris at the time, developed as a result of the settlement of religious communities.

Its name derives from the river ferry (French: bac) that began operating at the lower end of the street in 1550 and gained importance when Catherine de’ Medici commissioned the architect Philibert Delorme in 1564 to build the Palais des Tuileries on this side of the Seine. Instead of having to laboriously transport the building material from the quarries much further south – today’s catacombs under the Place Denfert-Rochereau – over the only bridges that existed at the time and the Ile de la Cité, i.e. through the city centre, the stones were transported across country meadows and pastures to take the ferry across.

Le Saint-German © flickr.com - Nicki Dugan/cc-by-sa-2.0 © Minato ku/cc-by-3.0 © Chabe01/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Chabe01/cc-by-sa-4.0 Boucherie du Bac © flickr.com - Derek Key/cc-by-2.0 © flickr.com - flightlog/cc-by-2.0 © flickr.com - Fred Romero/cc-by-2.0 © flickr.com - Roman Boed/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Le Saint-German © flickr.com - Nicki Dugan/cc-by-sa-2.0
The resulting grand chemin du bac (“Big Ferry Route”) only received its border development from 1620, initially very hesitantly, before the new suburb of Faubourg Saint-Germain came into fashion in the 18th century. Since then, the street has undergone numerous changes through widening and in particular the construction of the Boulevard Saint-Germain under Baron Haussmann. Instead of the ferry, a wooden bridge was built in 1634, which was replaced by the Pont Royal in 1689.

The grand chemin du bac followed the course of today’s Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs, Rue Saint-Placide and Rue du Bac. Behind the chemin de la Maladrerie (today Rue de Sèvres) it led past the cemetery of the Hospitals Hospice des Petites Maisons. This replaced the old Maladrerie Saint-Germain, founded in 1497, from 1557, was later rebuilt several times and finally, after taking the name Hospice des Petits Ménages in 1801, demolished in 1868 and replaced by Square Boucicaut. Not far from there was later, from 1689 until its closure in 1747, a cemetery, the Cimetière de la Trinité of the parish of St-Sulpice de Paris.

Read more on Wikipedia Rue du Bac (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Garment District in Midtown Manhattan

The Garment District in Midtown Manhattan

[caption id="attachment_26652" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 'The Garment Worker' and information booth with 'Button and Needle' sculpture © Jim.henderson[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Garment District is a neighborhood located in the Midtown Manhattan. The dense concentration of fashion-related uses give the neighborhood—which is generally considered to lie between Fifth Avenue and Ninth Avenue, from 34th to 42nd Street—its name. The Garment District has been known since the early 20th century as the center for fashion ...

[ read more ]

Quebec City, the Gibraltar of North America

Quebec City, the Gibraltar of North America

[caption id="attachment_23916" align="alignleft" width="590"] Québec Panorama 2009 © Martin St-Amant - Wikipedia - cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Quebec is the capital of the Canadian province of Quebec. The city has a population of 517,000, and the metropolitan area has a population of 766,000, making it the second most populous city in Quebec after Montreal, which is about 233 km (145 mi) to the southwest. The narrowing of the Saint Lawrence River proximate to the city's promontory, Cap-Diamant (Cape Diamond), and L...

[ read more ]

The Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv

The Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_170995" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Rastaman3000/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Azrieli Center is a complex of skyscrapers in Tel Aviv. At the base of the center lies a large shopping mall. The center was originally designed by Israeli-American architect Eli Attia, and after he fell out with the developer of the center, completion of the design was passed on to the Tel Aviv firm of Moore Yaski Sivan Architects. The center was not named after Israeli-Canadian real estate developer David Azr...

[ read more ]

Art, Culture, Sankt Petersburg

Art, Culture, Sankt Petersburg

[caption id="attachment_148925" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Eremitage at night © Robert Breuer[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sankt Petersburg is probably the most unusual, "un-Russian" city of the country. This is because the origin history and historical and urban development of the "Venice of the North". Sankt Petersburg has a little more than 300 years of history full of ups and downs. Visitors who are strolling around the streets soon have the feeling to visit one of the great European cities of the 19 century rather than ...

[ read more ]

Museum of Jewish Art and History in Paris

Museum of Jewish Art and History in Paris

[caption id="attachment_209367" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Emancipation room housing the Dreyfus Archives Fund © Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Museum of Jewish Art and History (French: Musée d’Art et d’Histoire du Judaïsme or mahJ) is the largest French museum of Jewish art and history. It is located in the Hôtel de Saint-Aignan in the Marais district in Paris. The museum conveys the rich history and culture of Jews in Europe and North Africa from the Middle ...

[ read more ]

Hotel Adlon in Berlin

Hotel Adlon in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_192214" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Denis Apel/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin is a luxury hotel in Berlin. It is located on Unter den Linden, the main boulevard in the central Mitte district, at the corner with Pariser Platz, directly opposite the Brandenburg Gate. The original Hotel Adlon was one of the most famous hotels in Europe. It opened in 1907 and was largely destroyed in 1945 in the closing days of World War II, though a small wing continued operat...

[ read more ]

Margravial Opera House Bayreuth

Margravial Opera House Bayreuth

[caption id="attachment_223741" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Stage © Pierre Schoberth/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Margravial Opera House (German: Markgräfliches Opernhaus) is a Baroque opera house in the town of Bayreuth, Germany, built between 1745 and 1750. It is one of Europe's few surviving theatres of the period and has been extensively restored. On 30 June 2012, the opera house was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was built according to plans designed by the French architect Joseph Saint...

[ read more ]

Expo Tel Aviv

Expo Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_202125" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dr. Avishai Teicher/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Expo Tel Aviv (formerly the Israel Trade Fairs and Convention Center and later the Tel Aviv Convention Center, although commonly referred to locally as Exhibition Gardens and also as the Tel Aviv Fairgrounds) is a site located on Rokach Boulevard in northern Tel Aviv. It serves as a venue for a variety of events, including concerts, exhibitions, trade fairs and conferences. Established in 1932 as "Y...

[ read more ]

Kimberley, the world capital of diamonds in South Africa

Kimberley, the world capital of diamonds in South Africa

[caption id="attachment_160259" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Big Hole sign © Conrad88/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kimberley is the capital of the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. It is located approximately 110 km east of the confluence of the Vaal and Orange Rivers. The city has considerable historical significance due to its diamond mining past and the siege during the Second Boer War. Notable personalities such as Cecil Rhodes and Barney Barnato made their fortunes here, and the roots of the De Beers co...

[ read more ]

Røros in Norway

Røros in Norway

[caption id="attachment_150888" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hogne[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Røros is a town and municipality in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. It is part of the Gauldalen region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Røros. Røros was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838. It was split into four municipalities on 1 January 1926 (Røros town, Røros landsogn, Brekken, and Glåmos), but these four were merged together again on 1 January 1964. [caption id="attachme...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Trappist Monastery © Bukvoed/cc-by-2.5
Latrun in the West Bank

Latrun is a strategic hilltop in the Latrun salient in the Ayalon Valley, and a depopulated Palestinian village. It overlooks...

© panoramio.com - Mika Auramo/cc-by-3.0
Cambrils in Spain

Cambrils is a coastal town in the comarca of Baix Camp, province of Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain. The town is near...

© Andrew Shiva/cc-by-sa-4.0
Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg

The Peter and Paul Fortress is the original citadel of St. Petersburg, Russia, founded by Peter the Great in 1703...

Schließen