Rosenheim in Upper Bavaria

Monday, 20 August 2012 - 01:30 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Max-Josefs-Platz © Rufus46

Max-Josefs-Platz © Rufus46

The independent city of Rosenheim is located in the centre of the district of Rosenheim (Upper Bavaria), and is also the seat of administration of this region. It is located on the west bank of the Inn at the confluence of the rivers Inn and Mangfall, in the Bavarian Alpine Foreland. It is the third largest city in Upper Bavaria with over 61,000 inhabitants and one of 23 administrative centres in Bavaria. Rosenheim is therefore the economic centre and the busiest place in the region.

The Mittertor (the sole survivor of five market gates) was the eastern gate of the market before 1350, which was then protected with a double ditch. Since the 15th Century, it separated the interior from the exterior of the market served as a customs office. Until the 19th century it also contained several municipal facilities such as the town clerk’s office. After the great fire in 1641 the city of Rosenheim onion dome was built and later extended into a long building. At its core is the Mittertor the oldest building in town. On the façade to the side of the square is the emblem of Louis Rosenheim, with the white rose against a red background. The Bavarian crest can also be seen here.

Munich street Münchener Strasse follows the Gillitzerblocks, also called “small pedestrian zone.” Immediately apparent are the magnificently restored Gründerzeitfassaden. The name Gillitzerblocks come from their builder Thomas Gillitzer. At the end of the 19th Century he obtained a relatively large area of land, for its day, and built 15 houses, including the Hotel Deutscher Kaiser. Since the 1960s, the once self contained Gründerzeit ensemble has altered with new construction and renovations. Only the facades in Münchener Strasse have been preserved and restored to the original.

St Nikolaus church © Rufus46 Mittertor © G Piezinger Max-Josefs-Platz © Rufus46 Ludwigsplatz © G Piezinger Town Hall © Rufus46 Max-Josefs-Platz © Rufus46
<
>
St Nikolaus church © Rufus46
The Quest-Kunstmühle (art mill) was built from 1855 to 1916 in several phases as industrial complexes. It was renovated in the 1990s and now serves as a restaurant and office space. The Quest-Kunstmühle Power station is located on the Mangfallkanal. The Art Mill houses the exhibition halls of the Rosenheim arts club. The approximately 200 m² upper floor of the former art mill holds exhibitions of contemporary artists, exchange exhibitions with other art associations and activities accompanying the exhibition.

The Rosenheim ballroom was built in the former Rosenheim Hofbräus buildings. The hall with ballroom and vaulted cellar was built in 1878. It was renovated in 1994 and since 2001 has been used as an event space, with its many possible uses of the centre of the eastern town of Rosenheim.

The town’s landmark is the gothic spire (65 m) of the parish church St. Nikolaus (1450) with its baroque onion dome (1641).

Read more on City of Rosenheim, Rosenheim Tourism, District of Rosenheim, Herbstfest Rosenheim, University of Applied Sciences Rosenheim and Wikipedia Rosenheim. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

documenta fifteen in Kassel

documenta fifteen in Kassel

[caption id="attachment_227976" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © documenta-fifteen.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]documenta is an exhibition of contemporary art which takes place every five years in Kassel, Germany. It was founded by artist, teacher and curator Arnold Bode in 1955 as part of the Bundesgartenschau (Federal Horticultural Show) which took place in Kassel at that time. It was an attempt to bring Germany up to speed with modern art, both banishing and repressing the cultural darkness of Nazism. This first documenta ...

[ read more ]

Villa d’Este on Lake Como

Villa d’Este on Lake Como

[caption id="attachment_234920" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © panoramio.com - Nikolai Karaneschev/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Villa d'Este, originally Villa del Garovo, is a Renaissance patrician residence in Cernobbio on the shores of Lake Como in northern Italy. Both the villa and the 25-acre (100,000 m²) park which surrounds it have undergone significant changes since their sixteenth-century origins as a summer residence for the Cardinal of Como. Nevertheless, visiting the garden in 1903 for Century Magazin...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Navarre - Villava-Atarrabia

Theme Week Navarre - Villava-Atarrabia

[caption id="attachment_231421" align="alignnone" width="590"] Church of Nuestra Señora del Rosario © Zarateman/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Villava (Basque: Atarrabia) is a town and municipality located in the province and autonomous community of Navarre, northern Spain. The population is about 10,000, and the town is located 4 km away from Pamplona, the capital of Navarre. The village was founded in 1184 by King Sancho VI the Wise of Navarre. For several centuries, Villava was just a little town, but in the...

[ read more ]

Rovaniemi, second home of Santa Claus at the Arctic Circle

Rovaniemi, second home of Santa Claus at the Arctic Circle

[caption id="attachment_151848" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Santa's Post Office © Cédric Puisney/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rovaniemi is a city and municipality of Finland. It is the administrative capital and commercial centre of Finland's northernmost province, Lapland. It is situated about 5 kilometres (3 miles) south of the Arctic Circle and is between the hills of Ounasvaara and Korkalovaara, at the confluence of the river Kemijoki and its tributary, the Ounasjoki. The city and the surrounding Rovaniemen maa...

[ read more ]

Røros in Norway

Røros in Norway

[caption id="attachment_150888" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Hogne[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Røros is a town and municipality in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. It is part of the Gauldalen region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Røros. Røros was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838. It was split into four municipalities on 1 January 1926 (Røros town, Røros landsogn, Brekken, and Glåmos), but these four were merged together again on 1 January 1964. [caption id="attachme...

[ read more ]

Clairvaux Abbey in Ville-sous-la-Ferté

Clairvaux Abbey in Ville-sous-la-Ferté

[caption id="attachment_238651" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Clairvaux Abbey, from 1808 to 2022 Clairvaux Prison © KBWEi[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Clairvaux Abbey (Latin: Clara Vallis, "bright valley") was a Cistercian monastery in Ville-sous-la-Ferté, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from Bar-sur-Aube. The original building, founded in 1115 by Bernard of Clairvaux, is now in ruins; the present structure dates from 1708. Clairvaux Abbey was a good example of the general layout of a Cistercian monastery. The abbey has been listed sin...

[ read more ]

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The American Colony Hotel

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The American Colony Hotel

[caption id="attachment_192197" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Alistair/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The American Colony Hotel is a luxury hotel located in a historic building in East Jerusalem which previously housed the utopian American-Swedish community known as the American Colony. The hotel belongs to The Leading Hotels of the World. The building was originally built and owned by Ottoman Pasha Rabbah Daoud Amin Effendi al-Husseini, who lived there with his harem of four wives. Soon after his four...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Melrose

Theme Week Scottish Borders - Melrose

[caption id="attachment_191847" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square © geograph.org.uk - Walter Baxter/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Melrose is a small town and civil parish in the Scottish Borders, historically in Roxburghshire. It is in the Eildon committee area. The town's name is recorded in its earliest form as Mailros, 'the bare peninsula' (Old Welsh or Brythonic), referring to the original site of the monastery, recorded by Bede, in a bend of the river Tweed. The original monastery at Melrose is referr...

[ read more ]

Mount Hermon

Mount Hermon

[caption id="attachment_221055" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lake Ram and Mount Hermon © Idobi/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mount Hermon is a mountain cluster constituting the southern end of the Anti-Lebanon mountain range. Its summit straddles the border between Syria and Lebanon and, at 2,814 m (9,232 ft) above sea level, is the highest point in Syria and is therefore in two Middle East conflict zones. On the top, in the United Nations buffer zone between Syrian and Israeli-occupied territories, is the highest ...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Sagres III

The sail training ship Sagres III

[caption id="attachment_150648" align="aligncenter" width="408"] N.R.P. Sagres on Tejo© Lopo Pizarro - www.lopo.pt/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The NRP Sagres is a tall ship and sail training ship of the Portuguese Navy since 1961. As the third ship with this name of the historical important city of ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Marina Bay Sands in the evening © Someformofhuman
The Marina Bay Sands in Singapore

Marina Bay Sands is an integrated resort fronting Marina Bay in Singapore. Developed by Las Vegas Sands, it is billed...

Moulins and Cathedral © Alphanumeric
Moulins in Auvergne

Moulins is a commune in central France, capital of the Allier department. Among its many tourist attractions are the Maison...

Marlborough College Court © Dabbler
Marlborough in Wiltshire

Marlborough is a market town and civil parish in the English county of Wiltshire on the Old Bath Road, the...

Close