Riva del Garda on Lake Garda

Saturday, 20 September 2014 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

© Rabanus Flavus

© Rabanus Flavus

Riva del Garda is a town and comune in the northern Italian province of Trentino of the Trentino Alto Adige region. It is also known simply as Riva. The estimated population is 16.000. Tourism is the most important activity of the town. The town is also home to industries such as paper manufacturing. Riva del Garda is located at the north-western corner of Lake Garda, approximately 70 metres (230 feet) above sea level. The town is located at the southern edge of the Italian Alps, near the Dolomites. It is bordered by Monte Rocchetta to the west and Monte Brione, 376 metres (1,234 ft) above sea level, to the east. East of Riva del Garda is the village Torbole, bordered by Monte Baldo. With its two harbours, Riva del Garda is well equipped for sailing and windsurfing. Rock climbing and mountain biking are also practiced.

The Museo Civico is located in the Rocca, a medieval fortress with quadrangular bastions, placed on the lake, bounded by a canal with drawbridge. It was the fortress of the noble family Scaligeri (1124), who became the Lords of Verona. It was rebuilt several times and it was used by the Austrians as barracks in the 18th century. It is frequently the seat of cultural activities, especially during the summer months. The medieval belfry Torre Apponale was first mentioned in 1273, but is probably older. It belonged to the first fortress of Riva, that no longer exists. Modifications wre made in 1555 and it was raised to 34 m. The Piazza III Novembre is situated between the belfry and the harbour. The city hall comprises the Palazzo Pretorio from 1375 (the former cantonal courthouse) and the Palazzo del Provveditore (the governor’s palace), built between 1472 and 1485.

© Stephen Wallis Photography/cc-by-sa-3.0 Piazza Tre Novembre and Torre Apponale © JoJan/cc-by-sa-3.0 © High Contrast/cc-by-3.0-de © Joachim Köhler/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Manfred Heyde/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Rabanus Flavus
<
>
Piazza Tre Novembre and Torre Apponale © JoJan/cc-by-sa-3.0
The city gates Porta San Marco (11th century), built by the Venetians, and Porta San Michele (13th century), at the Piazza Cavour, are remnants of the medieval city walls. The Porta San Michele has a small battlemented belfry for the parochial church of Maria Assunta. This church was originally a romanesque-gothic building from the 14th century (attested by a medieval relief at its southern side), but was rebuilt in baroque style in 1728. It has a single nave and nine baroque altars. The altarpieces were made by local artists, such as Ignazio Martino Oliari da Riva, Giuseppe Craffonara da Riva and Giovanni Caliari da Verona. The fresco in the dome is by the baroque painter Giuseppe Alberti (1664–1730).

The church Chiesa dell’Inviolata, dominating the Largo Marconi, is considered among the most beautiful baroque churches in Trentino. It is an octagonal building with the belfry next to it. It contains the altarpieces “San Carlo Borromeo” and “San Gerolamo” by the Mannerist painter Palma il Giovane. In the middle of the octogonal dome is a Baroque fresco “The coronation of Maria in Heaven”. Places of geological interest in the vicinity include Tenno Lake, Lago di Ledro (with its paleoethnographic museum), and the Varone Falls.

Read more on Riva del Garda, GardaTrentino.it – Riva del Garda, RivaDelGarda.com and Wikipedia Riva del Garda. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Pasadena in California

Pasadena in California

[caption id="attachment_161510" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pasadena City Hall © Bobak Ha'Eri/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pasadena was incorporated on June 19, 1886, becoming only the second city to be incorporated in what is now Los Angeles County, after Los Angeles (April 4, 1850). It is one of the primary cultural centers of the San Gabriel Valley. Pasadena is a part of the original Mexican land grant named Rancho del Rincon de San Pascual, so named because it was deeded on Easter Sunday to Eulalia Perez de Guil...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Taiwan - Hsinchu

Theme Week Taiwan - Hsinchu

[caption id="attachment_192030" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hsinchu City Government © 勤岸/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hsinchu, officially known as Hsinchu City, is a provincial city in northern Taiwan. Hsinchu is popularly nicknamed "The Windy City" for its windy climate. Among the tourist attractions are: Black Bat Squadron Memorial Hall, Glass Museum of Hsinchu City, Hsinchu City Art Site of Railway Warehouse, Hsinchu CKS Baseball Stadium, Hsinchu Museum of Military Dependents Village, Hsinchu Fish Harbor, ...

[ read more ]

The Royal Yacht Dannebrog

The Royal Yacht Dannebrog

[caption id="attachment_151682" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Sønderborg © Erik Christensen/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Her Danish Majesty's Yacht Dannebrog (A540) was launched by Queen Alexandrine at Copenhagen in 1931, and commissioned on 26 May 1932. The yacht now serves as the official and private residence for Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, the Prince Consort, and members of the Royal Family when they are on official visits overseas and on summer cruises in Danish waters. When at sea...

[ read more ]

Hakka Tulou roundhouses

Hakka Tulou roundhouses

[caption id="attachment_146416" align="aligncenter" width="360"] © china-guide.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Almost by chance we found during research these fascinating circular buildings. It is a closed inherently functional form of settlement in China. On the one side it was a residential accommodation for large families and clans, on the other side through meter-thick outer walls a passive protection which for weeks withstands enemy attacks, while self-sufficient through small areas of farm land to grow food for daily needs a...

[ read more ]

The Smithsonian Institution

The Smithsonian Institution

[caption id="attachment_23984" align="alignleft" width="590"] National Mall with 9 of the 14 Smithsonian Museums in Washington, D.C.© flickr.com - Smithsonian Institution/Carl Hansen[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Smithsonian Institution, established in 1846 "for the increase and diffusion of knowledge," is a group of museums and research centers administered by the United States government. Originally organized as the "United States National Museum," that name ceased to exist as an administrative entity in 1967. Termed "the nat...

[ read more ]

The Leaning Tower of Pisa

The Leaning Tower of Pisa

[caption id="attachment_153894" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza dei Miracoli Panorama © Alessio Facchin/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Leaning Tower of Pisa or simply the Tower of Pisa is the campanile, or freestanding bell tower, of the cathedral of the Italian city of Pisa, known worldwide for its unintended tilt to one side. It is situated behind the Cathedral and is the third oldest structure in Pisa's Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo) after the Cathedral and the Baptistry. The tower's tilt began durin...

[ read more ]

Silicon Saxony in Dresden

Silicon Saxony in Dresden

[caption id="attachment_162999" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © silicon-saxony.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Silicon Saxony is a registered industry association of nearly 300 companies in the microelectronics and related sectors in Saxony, Germany, with around 40,000 employees. Many, but not all, of those firms are situated in the north of Dresden. With a name chosen referring to Silicon Valley, the area and the union — in many aspects — represent the only meaningful European center of microelectronics. Many of those firm...

[ read more ]

Vancouver Island in British Columbia

Vancouver Island in British Columbia

[caption id="attachment_151839" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Oak Bay © flickr.com - rpaterso/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Vancouver Island, located in British Columbia, Canada, is the largest Pacific island east of New Zealand. Originally called Quadra and Vancouver Island after Spanish navigator Juan de la Bodega y Quadra and British navy officer George Vancouver, the island was first explored by British and Spanish expeditions in the late 18th century. The former's name was eventually dropped and it has since be...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Jelgava Castle © Marcin Szala/cc-by-sa-3.0
Jelgava in Semigalia

Jelgava is a city in central Latvia about 41 kilometres (25 miles) southwest of Riga with about 63,000 inhabitants. It...

Notre Dame de Paris © flickr.com - Bertrand/cc-by-2.0
Cathedral Notre Dame de Paris

Notre-Dame de Paris (French for "Our Lady of Paris"), also known as Notre-Dame Cathedral or simply Notre-Dame, is a historic...

Daugavpils Fortress, artillery arsenal Rothko at night © Karlis.Rasis/cc-by-sa-3.0
Daugavpils in Latvia

Daugavpils is a city in southeastern Latvia, located on the banks of the Daugava River, from which the city gets...

Schließen