Theme Week Singapore – Raffles Hotel

Wednesday, 8 April 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Hotels
Reading Time:  7 minutes

© Huaiwei/cc-by-sa-2.5

© Huaiwei/cc-by-sa-2.5

Raffles Hotel is a colonial-style luxury hotel in Singapore. It was established by Armenian hoteliers, the Sarkies Brothers, in 1887. The hotel was named after British statesman Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, the British coloniser of Singapore. It is the flagship property of Raffles Hotels & Resorts, and is managed by AccorHotels after Accor acquired FRHI Hotels & Resorts. The hotel is owned by Qatar-based, government-owned Katara Hospitality. The hotel commenced Phase 3 of a three-phase restoration programme on 13 December 2017. The Raffles Hotel reopened in August 2019 following the completion of the renovation.

Raffles Hotel Singapore started as a privately owned beach house built in the early 1830s. It first became Emerson’s Hotel when Dr. Charles Emerson leased the building in 1878. Upon his death in 1883, the hotel closed, and the Raffles Institution stepped in to use the building as a boarding house until Dr. Emerson’s lease expired in September 1887. Almost immediately after the first lease expired, the Sarkies Brothers leased the property from Syed Mohamed Alsagoff, its owner, with the intention of turning it into a high-end hotel. A few months later, on December 1, 1887, the ten-room Raffles Hotel opened. Its proximity to the beach and its reputation for high standards in services and accommodations made the hotel popular with wealthy clientele.

>Within the hotel’s first decade, three new buildings were added on to the original beach house. First, a pair of two-story wings were completed in 1890, each containing 22 guest suites. Soon afterward, the Sarkies Brothers leased a neighboring building at No. 3 Beach Road, renovated it, and in 1894, the Palm Court Wing was completed. The new additions brought the hotel’s total guest rooms to 75. A few years later, a new main building was constructed on the site of the original beach house. Designed by architect Regent Alfred John Bidwell of Swan and Maclaren, it was completed in 1899. The new main building offered numerous state-of-the-art (for the time) features, including powered ceiling fans and electric lights. In fact, the Raffles Hotel was the first hotel in the region to have electric lights.

The hotel continued to expand over the years with the addition of wings, a veranda, a ballroom, a bar, a billiards room, as well as other buildings and rooms. The Great Depression spelled trouble for Raffles Hotel and, in 1931, the Sarkies Brothers declared bankruptcy. In 1933, the financial troubles were resolved, and a public company called Raffles Hotel Ltd. was established.

Upon the start of the Japanese occupation of Singapore on February 15, 1942, it is said that the Japanese soldiers encountered the guests in Raffles Hotel dancing one final waltz. Meanwhile, staff buried the hotel silver—including the silver beef trolley—in the Palm Court. During World War II, Raffles Hotel was renamed Syonan Ryokan, incorporating Syonan (“Light of the South”), the Japanese name for occupied Singapore, and ryokan, the name for a traditional Japanese inn. The hotel was reclaimed in 1945 during Operation Tiderace by the British Navy. Stanley Redington raised the British Navy Flag on top of the Raffles Hotel. In 1987, a century after it first opened, Austrian writer and researcher Andreas Augustin discovered the long lost original drawings of Raffles Hotel, hidden in a Singaporean archive. That year these drawings were published for the first time in the book The Raffles Treasury. The Raffles Hotel was declared a National Monument by the Singapore government in 1987.

© Leon petrosyan/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Huaiwei/cc-by-sa-2.5 © Ypsilon from Finland © Elisa.rolle/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
© Leon petrosyan/cc-by-sa-4.0
In 1989, the hotel closed to undergo an extensive renovation that lasted two years and cost $160 million. The hotel reopened on September 16, 1991. While the hotel was restored to the grand style of its 1915 heyday, significant changes were made. All guest rooms were converted to suites. In addition, Long Bar, which was a favorite spot of celebrities such as Somerset Maugham, was relocated from the lobby to a new adjoining shopping arcade. Long Bar is also where the national cocktail, the Singapore Sling was invented by bartender Ngiam Tong Boon.

On July 18, 2005, it was announced that Colony Capital LLC would purchase Raffles Holdings the entire chain of Raffles Hotels, which included the Raffles Hotel, for $1.45 billion.

In April 2010, it was reported that a Qatari sovereign wealth fund bought Raffles Hotel for $275 million. In addition to taking over the Raffles Hotel, the Qatar Investment Authority would inject $467 million into Fairmont Raffles Hotels International in exchange for a 40% stake in the luxury hotel chain.

At one time, the Raffles Hotel maintained a hotel museum. It displayed memorabilia such as photographs, silver and china items, postcards, and menus, as well as old and rare editions of the works of the famous writers who stayed there. The museum also displayed photographs of its famous guests and visitors. The Raffles Hotel Museum closed in 2012. In December 2015, the Fairmont/Raffles brands were purchased by the French multinational hotel group AccorHotels.

A major renovation of the hotel was undertaken starting January 2017, and the hotel closed in December 2017 allow renovation work to proceed. The rooms were refurbished and soundproofed, and the number of suites increased from 103 to 115. New technology were incorporated and a new marble floor was installed. Its various food and beverage outlets were revamped, and the Writer’s Bar formerly in a corner of the lobby given its own space. its former Jubilee Theatre was transformed into a ballroom. The hotel reopened on 1 August 2019.

Here you can find the complete Overview of all Theme Weeks.

Read more on Raffles Hotel and Wikipedia Raffles Hotel (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.










Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

King George Street in Tel Aviv

King George Street in Tel Aviv

[caption id="attachment_235053" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sculpture © dr. avishai teicher/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]King George Street is a street in Tel Aviv named for King George V of the United Kingdom who reigned during the British Mandate of Palestine. The street extends from Masaryk Square in the north to Magen David Square in the south, where it meets with Allenby Street, the Carmel Market, and Nahalat Binyamin Street. At the beginning of the 1920s, the street was called "Carmel Street." In 19...

[ read more ]

Battir in the West Bank

Battir in the West Bank

[caption id="attachment_216148" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Labour Palestine/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Battir is a Palestinian village in the West Bank, 6.4 km west of Bethlehem, and southwest of Jerusalem. It was inhabited during the Byzantine and Islamic periods, and in the Ottoman and British Mandate censuses its population was recorded as primarily Muslim. In former times, the city lay along the route from Jerusalem to Bayt Jibrin. Battir is situated just above the modern route of the Jaffa–J...

[ read more ]

Costa do Sauípe

Costa do Sauípe

[caption id="attachment_153632" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Costa do Sauípe Beach © Isha/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Costa dos Coqueiros is a privileged stretch of the Bahian coastline, where dunes and coconut trees unite to create a unique landscape. Crossing its entire length is the "Green Line," a highway that leaves Salvador to the north and passes 26 beaches, including Costa do Sauípe. A paradise located just 76 km from Salvador. An excellent opportunity to visit one of Brazil's most important and bea...

[ read more ]

Pézenas in the Hérault department

Pézenas in the Hérault department

[caption id="attachment_153168" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Christian Ferrer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pézenas is a commune in the Hérault department in the Languedoc-Roussillon region in southern France. "Pézenas" is derived from the older name Piscenae, probably from the Latin word piscenis, meaning fishpond. According to legend, there was a lake full of fish behind the château. Inhabitants of Pézenas are Piscenois. The origins of Pézenas are unclear, but were influenced by three factors: wat...

[ read more ]

The port city of Cartagena in Colombia

The port city of Cartagena in Colombia

[caption id="attachment_153945" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Colonial street © Cbrough[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Cartagena de Indias is a large Caribbean beach resort city on the northern coast of Colombia in the Caribbean Coast Region and capital of Bolívar Department. The city had a population of 892,545 as of the 2005 census, making it the fifth-largest city in Colombia and giving the Cartagena urban area the status of fifth-largest urban area in Colombia. Cartagena is a centre of economic activity in the Caribbean, as ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Monaco - Monte Carlo

Theme Week Monaco - Monte Carlo

[caption id="attachment_164118" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monte Carlo and Port Hercule © Martinp1/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Monte Carlo officially refers to an administrative area of the Principality of Monaco, specifically the ward of Monte Carlo, where the Monte Carlo Casino is located. Informally the name also refers to a larger district, the Monte Carlo Quarter (corresponding to the former municipality of Monte Carlo), which besides Monte Carlo also includes the wards of La Rousse/Saint Roman, Larvotto/B...

[ read more ]

Victory in Europe Day

Victory in Europe Day

[caption id="attachment_227368" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 8 May 1945 - Winston Churchill waves to crowds in Whitehall in London © War Office official photographer, Major W. G. Horton[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Victory in Europe Day is the day celebrating the formal acceptance by the Allies of World War II of Germany's unconditional surrender of its armed forces on Tuesday, 8 May 1945. Russia and many former Soviet countries celebrate on 9 May, marking the end of World War II in Europe. Several countries observe public hol...

[ read more ]

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

The east Thuringian Skat and residence town of Altenburg

[caption id="attachment_154244" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Orangery and teahouse © Lucas Friese/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Altenburg is a city in Thuringia, located 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of Leipzig, 90 kilometres (56 miles) west of Dresden and 100 kilometres (62 miles) east of Erfurt. It is the capital of the Altenburger Land district and part of a polycentric old-industrial textile and metal production region between Gera, Zwickau and Chemnitz with more than 1 million inhabitants, while the city itse...

[ read more ]

Jericho, one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world

Jericho, one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world

[caption id="attachment_26698" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Quarantal Monastery - Monastery of the Temptation © Tamar Hayardeni/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jericho is a city located near the Jordan River in the West Bank. It is the administrative seat of the Jericho Governorate. In 2007, it had a population of 20,000. The city was occupied by Jordan from 1949 to 1967, and has been held under Israeli occupation since 1967; administrative control was handed over to the Palestinian Authority in 1994. It is believed to ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Cuba - Isla de la Juventud

Theme Week Cuba - Isla de la Juventud

[caption id="attachment_161567" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cayo Largo del Sur © Panther/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Isla de la Juventud (English: Isle of Youth) is the second-largest Cuban island and the seventh-largest island in the West Indies. The island was called the Isle of Pines (Isla de Pinos) until 1978. It has an area 2,200 km2 (850 sq mi) and is 50 km (31 mi) south of the island of Cuba, across the Gulf of Batabanó. The island lies almost directly south of Havana and Pinar del Río and is a Special ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Maidan Nezalezhnosti and Hotel Ukraine © panoramio.com - 52655f/cc-by-3.0
Hotel Ukraine in Kiev

Hotel Ukraine, is a four-star hotel located in central Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. The hotel was built in 1961...

© Peymanyeganeh/cc-by-sa-4.0
Golestan Palace in Tehran

The Golestan Palace is the former royal Qajar complex in Iran's capital city, Tehran. One of the oldest historic monuments...

in Split © Ivan T./cc-by-sa-3.0
The Grand Princess

Grand Princess is a Grand-class cruise ship owned by Princess Cruises. Built in 1998 by Fincantieri Cantieri Navali Italiani in...

Schließen