Prussian House of Lords in Berlin

Wednesday, 3 November 2021 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Berlin
Reading Time:  5 minutes

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Prussian House of Lords (German: Preußisches Herrenhaus) in Berlin was the upper house of the Landtag of Prussia (German: Preußischer Landtag), the parliament of Prussia from 1850 to 1918. Together with the lower house, the House of Representatives (Abgeordnetenhaus), it formed the Prussian bicameral legislature. Modeled on the House of Lords of the United Kingdom, the Herrenhaus was created following the 1848 revolution with the adoption of the Constitution of the Kingdom of Prussia imposed by King Frederick William IV on 31 January 1850. A member of the House of Lords was known as a pair (see also pairie), or officially as a member of the Prussian House of Lords (Mitglieder des preußischen Herrenhauses, or MdH). The House consisted of hereditary peers, life peers appointed by the King of Prussia, peers by virtue of position, representatives of cities and universities, etc. The majority of members were nobles, although the House also had commoners as members, especially among the representatives of cities and universities.

With the German Revolution of 1918–1919 and the fall of the Hohenzollern monarchy resulting from World War I, the Prussian House of Lords was dissolved by the government of Minister President Paul Hirsch. According to the 1920 constitution of the Free State of Prussia it was replaced by the Staatsrat (state council) of representatives delegated by the Landtag assemblies of the Provinces. The Cologne mayor Konrad Adenauer served as president of the state council from 1921 until the Nazi Machtergreifung in 1933.

© Manfred Brückels/cc-by-sa-3.0 © NoRud/cc-by-sa-4.0 Plenary chamber © Andreas Praefcke/cc-by-3.0 Plenary chamber © Matthias Brinken © Diego Delso/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Jorge Royan - www.royan.com.ar/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Luis Alvaz/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
© Jorge Royan - www.royan.com.ar/cc-by-sa-3.0
Starting in 1856, the House of Lords met at a Baroque city palace on Leipziger Straße No. 3, near Leipziger Platz, formerly owned by the merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky (1710–1775) and seat of the Royal Porcelain Factory from 1763. It had been acquired by Abraham Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1776–1835), father of Felix and Fanny Mendelssohn, in 1825. In the summer of 1826, young Felix Mendelssohn wrote his A Midsummer Night’s Dream overture, which premiered at his father’s house.

After the Prussian state had purchased the building in 1856, it also served for the meetings of the Reichstag of the North German Federation from 1867 to 1870. Upon German unification in 1871, the neighbouring building on Leipziger Straße No. 4 was rebuilt as the seat of the Reichstag of the German Empire, before it moved into the new Reichstag building in 1894. Both the Leipziger Str. No. 3 and 4 buildings were demolished in 1898 to make space for a new building for the House of Lords.

The Neo-Renaissance Herrenhaus building, designed by the architect Friedrich Schulze, was completed in 1904. Schulze had had also built the adjacent Abgeordnetenhaus on Prinz-Albrecht-Straße from 1892 to 1898. Both structures were connected by a common functional wing in the rear, which allowed deputies to move freely between both chambers. Since 1993, the Abgeordnetenhaus building is the seat of the Berlin state parliament.

Seat of the Prussian state council from 1921 to 1933, the former Herrenhaus building from 1933 served for Hermann Göring‘s Preußenhaus foundation. The former debating chamber saw the inauguration of the People’s Court (Volksgerichtshof) in 1934 and with the erection of neighbouring Ministry of Aviation the next year it was refurbished as the prestigious Haus der Flieger lobby of Göring’s headquarters.

Heavily damaged by Allied bombing and the Battle of Berlin, the building was restored after the war and from 1946 served for the East German Academy of Sciences. Since 2000, it is the site of the parliamentary sessions of the Federal Council (Bundesrat) of Germany.

Read more on VisitBerlin.de – Bundesrat building and Wikipedia Prussian House of Lords (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Biarritz, the sea and health resort on the French Atlantic coast

Biarritz, the sea and health resort on the French Atlantic coast

[caption id="attachment_159871" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hotel du Palais © Manuel González Olaechea y Franco[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Biarritz is a city which lies on the Bay of Biscay, on the Atlantic coast, in south-western France. It is a luxurious seaside town and is popular with tourists and surfers. The town lies in Basque territory, and Basque flags and symbols are prevalent throughout Biarritz. Biarritz became more renowned in 1854 when Empress Eugenie (the wife of Napoleon III) built a palace on the b...

[ read more ]

The Cinque Ports in Kent and Sussex

The Cinque Ports in Kent and Sussex

[caption id="attachment_153740" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cinque Ports map © Clem Rutter[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Confederation of Cinque Ports (pronounced "sink" ports, not as the French "cinq") is a historic series of coastal towns in Kent and Sussex. It was originally formed for military and trade purposes, but is now entirely ceremonial. It lies at the eastern end of the English Channel, where the crossing to the continent is narrowest. The name originates in Norman French, meaning "five ports", which are: Hasti...

[ read more ]

Downtown Toronto

Downtown Toronto

[caption id="attachment_214648" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Downtown Toronto seen from Toronto Islands © Arild Vågen/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Downtown Toronto is the main central business district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Located entirely within the district of Old Toronto (neighbourhoods in Toronto), it is approximately 17 square kilometres in area, bounded by Bloor Street to the northeast and Dupont Street to the northwest, Lake Ontario to the south, the Don Valley to the east, and Bathurst Street to t...

[ read more ]

The superyacht Tatoosh

The superyacht Tatoosh

[caption id="attachment_162764" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Seastar357[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tatoosh is a 303-foot (92 m) private yacht owned by Paul Allen, who also owns the 416-foot (127 m) Octopus. She is now the world's 43rd largest superyacht. Her homeport is George Town on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. Originally built for mobile phone magnate Craig McCaw, Tatoosh was built at Rendsburg in Germany by Nobiskrug and completed in June 2000. Design and Construction by Kusch Yachts. She was purchased b...

[ read more ]

Bodø, north of the Arctic Circle

Bodø, north of the Arctic Circle

[caption id="attachment_154380" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Landegode Lighthouse © Janter/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bodø is a town and a municipality, the largest urban area and city in Nordland county, and the second-largest in North Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Salten and it is the capital of Nordland county. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Bodø. Other villages in Bodø include Misvær, Skjerstad, Saltstraumen, Løding, Løpsmarka, Kjerringøy, Sørvær, and ...

[ read more ]

Pillnitz Palace and Park on the Elbe

Pillnitz Palace and Park on the Elbe

[caption id="attachment_159867" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pillnitz Castle - Hillside Palais (Bergpalais) © Martin Röll[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pillnitz is a city quarter in the east of Dresden, Germany. The best known sight of this quarter is the Japanese-styled chateau. The quarter is situated in the east of Dresden, a rather long way from the inner city. It can be reached by bus, ship, walking along the river or by bicycle. The park around the castle was founded in 1539 by building the castle church. In 1693 Elector...

[ read more ]

Rhodes, the sunny island

Rhodes, the sunny island

[caption id="attachment_153542" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Maltan Knights Castle in Rhodes City © Polimerek[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rhodes is a Greek island approximately 18 kilometres (11 mi) southwest of Turkey in the eastern Aegean Sea. It is the largest of the Dodecanese islands in terms of both land area and population, with a population of 117,007. Administratively the island forms a separate municipality within the Rhodes peripheral unit, which is part of the South Aegean Periphery. The principal town of the isla...

[ read more ]

Huis Doorn in Utrechtse Heuvelrug

Huis Doorn in Utrechtse Heuvelrug

[caption id="attachment_7069" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The bust of Wilhelm II, sculpted by Max Bezner © Hanseichbaum[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Huis Doorn (Doorn Manor) is a small manor house that lies outside of Doorn, a small town near Utrecht, in the Netherlands. The 15th-century house was rebuilt in the late 18th century in a conservative manner and, in the mid-19th century, a surrounding park was laid out as an English landscape garden. Baroness Ella van Heemstra (1900–1984), the mother of actress Audrey Hepburn, ...

[ read more ]

Asbury Park in New Jersey

Asbury Park in New Jersey

[caption id="attachment_209271" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Asbury Park Boardwalk © Sk5893/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Asbury Park is a city in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, located on the Jersey Shore and part of the New York City Metropolitan Area with a population of about 15,500. It was ranked the sixth-best beach in New Jersey in the 2008 Top 10 Beaches Contest sponsored by the New Jersey Marine Sciences Consortium. At one time, there were many hotels along the beachfront. Many were de...

[ read more ]

Staten Island in New York City

Staten Island in New York City

[caption id="attachment_231923" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Conference House © Dmadeo/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Staten Island is a borough of New York City, coextensive with Richmond County, in the U.S. state of New York. Located in the city's southwest portion, the borough is separated from New Jersey by the Arthur Kill and the Kill Van Kull and from the rest of New York by New York Bay. With a population of 495,747 in the 2020 Census, Staten Island is the least populated borough but the third largest in land...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Dr. Lothar Ginzkey/cc-by-sa-2.0-de
The military research & survey ship Planet

Planet of the German Navy is the most modern naval research ship within NATO. It was built as a SWATH...

© flickr.com - Fred Romero/cc-by-2.0
Paris Observatory

The Paris Observatory (French: Observatoire de Paris), a research institution of the Paris Sciences et Lettres University, is the foremost...

© panoramio.com - randreu/cc-by-3.0
Via Veneto in Rome

Via Vittorio Veneto, colloquially called Via Veneto, is one of the most famous, elegant, and expensive streets of Rome, Italy....

Close