Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam

Wednesday, 14 October 2020 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  < 1 minute

© A.A.W.J. Rietman/cc-by-sa-4.0

© A.A.W.J. Rietman/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Portuguese Synagogue<, also known as the Esnoga, or Snoge, is a late 17th-century Sephardic synagogue in Amsterdam, completed in 1675. Esnoga is the word for synagogue in Ladino, the traditional Judaeo-Spanish language of Sephardic Jews. The Amsterdam Sephardic community (History of the Jews in Spain, History of the Jews in Portugal, Alhambra Decree) was one of the largest and richest Jewish communities in Europe during the Dutch Golden Age, and their very large synagogue reflected this. The synagogue remains an active place of worship and is also a popular tourist attraction.

On December 12, 1670, the Sephardic Jewish community of Amsterdam acquired the site to build a synagogue and construction work began on April 17, 1671, under the architect Elias Bouman. On August 2, 1675, the Esnoga was finished. The design is based on the plans for King Solomon’s temple. The inscription above the entrance is from Psalm 5:8: “In the abundance of Thy loving kindness will I come into Thy house”. The sign also contains “1672”, the year the building was intended to be completed, and “Aboab”, the name of the chief rabbi who initiated the construction project. The building is free-standing and rests on wooden piles; the foundation vaults can be viewed by boat from the canal water underneath the synagogue. The entrance to the main synagogue is off a small courtyard enclosed by low buildings housing the winter synagogue, offices and archives, homes of various officials, the rabbinate, a mortuary, and noted Etz Hayim library. The interior of the synagogue is a single, very high rectangular space retaining its original wooden benches. The floor was covered with fine sand, in the old Dutch tradition, to absorb dust, moisture and dirt from shoes and to muffle the noise. Only five synagogues in the world had a sand floor, and this was the only one with such a floor surviving outside the Caribbean region. During the 1955–1959 renovation, the former Etz Hayim seminary auditorium was redesigned as a winter synagogue; central heating and electric lighting were added. The benches were taken from a synagogue originally built in 1639 and the Hechal dates from 1744.The ark is made from a solid piece of jacaranda wood from Brazil and the main sanctuary does not have any internal electric system; two chandeliers that hold 1000 candles are lit when necessary.

Portugese Synagoge in 1816 by Gerrit Lamberts © A.A.W.J. Rietman/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Johnbod/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Massimo Catarinella/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Suicasmo/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Tadeáš Bednarz/cc-by-sa-4.0
<
>
Portugese Synagoge in 1816 by Gerrit Lamberts
The Portuguese Synagogue has one of the oldest Jewish libraries in the world and filled with original and rare texts and is constantly called upon for academic and rabbinical research. It was founded in 1616 and has been housed in the historical complex of the Portuguese Jewish community of Amsterdam since 1675. In 1889 the private library of the then librarian David Montezinos was donated to Ets Haim and the library is known since then as Ets Haim/Livraria Montezinos. In the 1940s, the library’s contents were shipped to Germany by the Nazis and the books were returned to the Netherlands after the war; the books were sent to Israel in 1979 and returned to Amsterdam in 2000. In 2014, in partnership with the National Library of Israel, a majority of the manuscripts were digitized, making the catalog available online and free.

The interior of the Portuguese Synagogue is of the longitudinal Iberian-Sephardic type. The Holy Ark is situated in the South East Corner of the building and faces Jerusalem. On the other side of the room, opposite of the ark, is a tebah. The Women’s Gallery is supported by twelve stone columns, each which represents one of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. In addition to these columns, there are four large brass chandeliers that hold a total of a thousand candles. All of the candles are lit in the synagogue during worship services. The light of these candles shine together through the 72 windows that exist in the building. Around the building, there are numerous offices, archives, the rabbinate, the mortuary, and the Ets Haim. The Ets Haim (Tree of Life) is the library that contains valuable collections of Sephardic manuscripts.

Read more on Portuguese Synagogue Amsterdam und Wikipedia Portuguese Synagogue Amsterdam (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.








Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Portrait: Johannes Brahms, composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period

Portrait: Johannes Brahms, composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period

[caption id="attachment_203533" align="aligncenter" width="390"] Johannes Brahms in 1889 - New York Public Library - C. Brasch[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Johannes Brahms was a German composer, pianist, and conductor of the Romantic period. Born in Hamburg into a Lutheran family, Brahms spent much of his professional life in Vienna. His reputation and status as a composer are such that he is sometimes grouped with Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven as one of the "Three Bs" of music, a comment originally made by the nin...

[ read more ]

White Villages Route of Andalusia

White Villages Route of Andalusia

[caption id="attachment_27454" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cuesta de Alhacaba - Typical house in the province of Granada © Claudio Landi/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The White Towns of Andalusia, or Pueblos Blancos, are a series of more then 30 places, towns and large villages in the northern part of the provinces of Cádiz and Málaga in southern Spain, mostly within the UNESCO biosphere reserve Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park. All of the villages are characterised by whitewashed walls and red or brown tiled ro...

[ read more ]

The water town Fürstenberg on the Havel

The water town Fürstenberg on the Havel

[caption id="attachment_151806" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Brandenburger Strasse with Havel church bell tower © Christopher Voitus/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fürstenberg is a town in the Oberhavel district, in Brandenburg, Germany. Until 1950, Fürstenberg was part of the former Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Fürstenberg is situated on the River Havel, 21 kilometres (13 mi) south of Neustrelitz, and 75 kilometres (47 mi) north of Berlin. The city lies at the southern edge of the Mecklenburg Lak...

[ read more ]

Aruba in the Southern Caribbean

Aruba in the Southern Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_153717" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Palm Beach © Atilin/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Aruba is an island 33 kilometre long (20 mi) located about 1,000 miles (1,600 km) west of the Lesser Antilles in the southern Caribbean Sea, located 27 kilometres (17 mi) north of the coast of Venezuela. Together with Bonaire and Curaçao, it forms a group referred to as the ABC islands. Collectively, Aruba and the other Dutch islands in the Caribbean are often called the Netherlands Antilles or the Dutch ...

[ read more ]

Tarifa, the southernmost city on the European mainland

Tarifa, the southernmost city on the European mainland

[caption id="attachment_153221" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tarifa, Strait of Gibraltar and Morocco © flickr.com - jose rambaud/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tarifa is a small town in the province of Cádiz in Andalusia, on the southernmost coast of Spain. The town is located on the Costa de la Luz ("coast of light") and across the Straits of Gibraltar facing Morocco. The municipality includes Punta de Tarifa, the southernmost point in continental Europe. There are several villages which depend economically o...

[ read more ]

The European Union: Blessing or curse? Past or future?

The European Union: Blessing or curse? Past or future?

[responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Since the Brexit referendum in the UK, again great flurry can be felt in all of Europe and around the world. This contribution doesn't go in this direction, because a bit of calmness and objectification is the right answer to deal rationally with the situation, or as Queen Elizabeth just put it "Stay calm and collected". Let us all remain calm and concentrated to meet the upcoming challenges. The article is not intended to polarize, even if the headline might suggests different. In fact, the EU unites curse, ble...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Gascony

Theme Week Gascony

[caption id="attachment_151937" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Château de Castelmore in Lupiac, birthplace of Comte d’Artagnan © Jibi44/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Gascony is an area of southwest France that was part of the "Province of Guyenne and Gascony" prior to the French Revolution. The region is vaguely defined and the distinction between Guyenne and Gascony is unclear; sometimes they are considered to overlap, and sometimes Gascony is considered a part of Guyenne. Most definitions put Gascony east and south...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Scotland - East Kilbride

Theme Week Scotland - East Kilbride

[caption id="attachment_152509" align="aligncenter" width="590"] East Kilbride Heritage Park © geograph.org.uk - John McLeish/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]East Kilbride (Scottish Gaelic: Cille Bhrìghde an Ear) is the largest town in the South Lanarkshire council area. It is also designated as Scotland's first new town on 6 May 1947. The area lies on high ground on the south side of the Cathkin Braes, about 9 miles (14 km) southeast of Glasgow and close to the boundary with East Renfrewshire. The town is enclo...

[ read more ]

The European Union: The Budget

The European Union: The Budget

[responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"](Latest update: 23 July 2021) Now it's back to business: The European Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources Günther Oettinger has presented the draft of the new EU budget and as we already know: Money can end friendships. This is no different between EU member states than between companies and private persons. However, this is not just an annual plan, but a five-year plan, this time with significantly changed circumstances to the previous plans, so that the negotiations until the unanimous decision-making...

[ read more ]

Kufstein in Tyrol

Kufstein in Tyrol

[caption id="attachment_160592" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Anual cattle drive down from the Alp © Perconte[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kufstein is a city in Tyrol, Austria, located along the river Inn, in the lower Inn valley, near the border with Bavaria, Germany, and is the site of a post World War II French sector United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration Displaced Persons camp. Kufstein is the second largest city in Tyrol and capital of the district Kufstein. The greatest landmark of Kufstein is th...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Puente Nuevo bridge © TheBoxagon
Ronda in Andalusia

Ronda is a village in the Spanish province of Málaga. It is located about 105 km (65 mi) west of...

© Selbymay/cc-by-sa-3.0
La Cigale in Nantes

La Cigale is a brasserie located in Nantes, Loire-Atlantique, France, on the same city square as the Théâtre Graslin. The...

© Mirkomlux/cc-by-sa-4.0
Thomas Mann House in Pacific Palisades

The Thomas Mann House (German: Thomas-Mann-Haus) in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, in the U.S. state of California is the former...

Schließen