Portrait: The Fugger

Friday, 29 April 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Portrait
Reading Time:  7 minutes

Jakob Fugger (1459–1525) by Albrecht Dürer

Jakob Fugger (1459–1525) by Albrecht Dürer

The Fugger family is a German family that was a historically prominent group of European bankers, members of the fifteenth and sixteenth-century mercantile patriciate of Augsburg, international mercantile bankers, and venture capitalists. Alongside the Welser family, the family controlled much of the European economy in the sixteenth century and accumulated enormous wealth. This banking family replaced the de’ Medici family, who influenced all of Europe during the Renaissance. The Fuggers took over many of the Medicis’ assets and their political power and influence.

The founder of the family was Johann Fugger, a weaver at Graben, near the Swabian Free City of Augsburg. His son, also called Johann (or Hans), settled in Augsburg, and the first reference to the Fugger family there is his arrival, recorded in the tax register of 1367. He married Klara Widolf and became an Augsburg citizen. After Klara’s death, he married Elizabeth Gfattermann. He joined the weaver’s guild, and by 1396 he was ranked high in the list of taxpayers. He added the business of a merchant to that of a weaver. His eldest son, Andreas Fugger, was a merchant in the weaving trade, and was nicknamed “Fugger the Rich” after buying land and other properties. The Fugger family itemized and inventoried a large number of Asian rugs, an unusual undertaking at the time. Hans Fugger’s younger son, Jakob the Elder, founded another branch of the family. This branch progressed more steadily and they became known as the “Fuggers of the Lily” after their chosen arms of a flowering lily on a gold and blue background. Jakob was a master weaver, a merchant, and an alderman. He married Barbara Basinger, the daughter of a goldsmith. His fortune progressed, and by 1461, he was the twelfth richest man in Augsburg. He died in 1469. Jakob’s eldest son, Ulrich, took over the business on his father’s death, and in 1473 he provided new suits of clothes to Frederick, his son Maximilian I, and his suite on their journey to Trier to meet Charles the Bold of Burgundy and the engagement of the young prince to Charles’s daughter Maria. Thus began a very profitable relationship between the Fugger family and the Habsburgs. With the help of their brother in Rome, Markus, Ulrich and his brother George handled remittances to the papal court of monies for the sale of indulgences and the procuring of church benefices. From 1508 to 1515 they leased the Roman mint. Ulrich died in 1510. When the Fuggers made their first loan to the Archduke Sigismund in 1487, they took as security an interest in silver and copper mines in the Tyrol. This was the beginning of an extensive family involvement in mining and precious metals. The Fuggers also participated in mining operations in Silesia, and owned copper mines in Hungary. Their trade in spices, wool, and silk extended to almost all parts of Europe.

Augsburg - Fuggerei © Lernerfolg Augsburg - Fuggerhäuser © Alois Wüst/cc-by-sa-3.0 Babenhausen Castle © Tilman2007/Dr. Volkmar Rudolf/cc-by-sa-4.0 Oberkirchberg Castle © Richard Mayer/cc-by-3.0 Jakob Fugger (1459–1525) by Albrecht Dürer
<
>
Babenhausen Castle © Tilman2007/Dr. Volkmar Rudolf/cc-by-sa-4.0
Ulrich’s youngest brother Jakob Fugger, born in 1459, was to become the most famous member of the dynasty. In 1498 he married Sibylla Artzt, Grand Burgheress to Augsburg, the daughter of an eminent Grand Burgher of Augsburg. They had no children, but this marriage gave Jakob the opportunity to elevate to Grand Burgher of Augsburg and later allowed him to pursue a seat on the city council of Augsburg. He was elevated to the nobility of the Holy Roman Empire in May 1511, and in 1519, led a consortium of German and Italian businessmen that loaned Charles V 850,000 florins (about 95,625 oz(t) of gold) to procure his election as Holy Roman Emperor over Francis I of France. The Fuggers’ contribution was 543,000 florins. In 1494 the Fuggers established their first public company. Jakob’s aim was to establish a copper monopoly by opening foundries in Hohenkirchen and Fuggerau (named for the family, in Carinthia) and by expanding the sales organization in Europe, especially the Antwerp agency. Jakob leased the copper mines in Neusohl (Besztercebánya, today Banská Bystrica, Slovakia) in 1495, eventually making them the greatest mining centre of the time. At the height of his power Jakob Fugger was sharply criticized by his contemporaries, especially by Ulrich von Hutten and Martin Luther, for selling indulgences and benefices and urging the Pope to rescind or amend the prohibition on the levying of interest. The imperial fiscal and governmental authorities in Nuremberg brought action against him and other merchants in an attempt to halt their monopolistic tendencies. In 1511, Jakob deposited 15,000 florins as an endowment for some almshouses. In 1514, he bought up part of Augsburg and in 1516 came to an agreement with the city that he would build and provide a number of almshouses for needy citizens. By 1523, 52 houses had been built, and the Fuggerei had come into existence. It is still used today. Jakob died in 1525. He is considered to be one of the richest persons of all time, and today he is well known as Jakob Fugger “the rich”.

Jakob’s successor was his nephew Anton Fugger, son of his elder brother Georg. Anton was born in 1493, married Anna Rehlinger, and died in 1560. In 1525 the Fuggers were granted the revenues from the Spanish orders of knighthood together with the profits from mercury and silver mines. The formerly rich yield of the Tirolean and Hungarian mines decreased, but Anton established new trade ties with Peru and Chile and started mining ventures in Sweden and Norway. He was involved in the slave trade from Africa to America, but was more successful in the spice trade and the importation of Hungarian cattle.

The burial chapel of the Fuggers in St. Anne’s Church is the earliest example of Renaissance architecture in Germany. In Augsburg, a museum of Fugger and Welser history (Fugger und Welser Erlebnismuseum) was opened.

Read more on Fugger and Wikipedia Fugger (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Free and Hanseatic City of Bremen

Free and Hanseatic City of Bremen

[caption id="attachment_159777" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall, St. Peter's Cathedral and Parliament © Klaus Grünberg[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The City Municipality of Bremen is a Hanseatic city in northwestern Germany. A commercial and industrial city with a major port on the river Weser, Bremen is part of the Bremen-Oldenburg metropolitan area (2.4 million people). Bremen is the second most populous city in North Germany and tenth in Germany. Bremen is some 60 km (37 mi) south from the Weser mouth on the North S...

[ read more ]

Hunts Point in the Bronx

Hunts Point in the Bronx

[caption id="attachment_210139" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Former Hunts Point Avenue station, now serving shops © Jim.henderson[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Hunts Point is a neighborhood located on a peninsula in the South Bronx of New York City. It is the location of one of the largest food distribution facilities in the world, the Hunts Point Cooperative Market. Its boundaries are the Bruckner Expressway to the west and north, the Bronx River to the east, and the East River to the south. Hunts Point Avenue is the primary s...

[ read more ]

Eureka Springs in Arkansas

Eureka Springs in Arkansas

[caption id="attachment_184724" align="aligncenter" width="590"] At the corner of Spring and Center Streets © flickr.com - doug_wertman/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Eureka Springs is a city in Carroll County in Arkansas, and one of two county seats for the county. It is located in the Ozarks of northwest Arkansas. The city's population is at 2,100. The entire city is on the National Register of Historic Places as the Eureka Springs Historic District. Eureka Springs has been selected as one of America's Distinctive Destin...

[ read more ]

Towns and villages depopulated during the 1947–1949 Palestine war

Towns and villages depopulated during the 1947–1949 Palestine war

[caption id="attachment_224007" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Towns and villages depopulated during the 1947–1949 Palestine war © Wiki Commons[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]During the 1947–1949 Palestine war around 400 Arab towns and villages were depopulated, with a majority being entirely destroyed and left uninhabitable (Nakba). Today these locations are in Israel; many of the locations were repopulated by Jewish immigrants, with their place names replaced with new Hebrew place names. Arabs remained in small numbe...

[ read more ]

Kronberg im Taunus

Kronberg im Taunus

[caption id="attachment_160661" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Victoria Park: View from Schiller Lake towards Kronberg Castle © Wolliballa[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kronberg im Taunus is a town in the Hochtaunuskreis district, Hesse. Before 1866, it was in the Duchy of Nassau; in that year the whole Duchy was absorbed into Prussia. Kronberg lies at the foot of the Taunus, flanked in the north and southwest by forests. A mineral water spring also rises in the town. The biggest street festival in the Old Town (around St...

[ read more ]

St. Nicholas Church in Potsdam

St. Nicholas Church in Potsdam

[caption id="attachment_227356" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Bärwinkel,Klaus/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St. Nicholas Church (German: St. Nikolaikirche) in Potsdam is a Lutheran church under the Evangelical Church in Berlin, Brandenburg and Silesian Upper Lusatia of the Evangelical Church in Germany on the Old Market Square (Alter Markt) in Potsdam. The central plan building in the Classicist style and dedicated to Saint Nicholas was built to plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in the years 1830 to 1837. The...

[ read more ]

Capernaum on Sea of Galilee, the town of Jesus

Capernaum on Sea of Galilee, the town of Jesus

[caption id="attachment_221509" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Catholic church, built over the house of Saint Peter © Herwig Reidlinger/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Capernaum was a fishing village established during the time of the Hasmoneans, located on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. It had a population of about 1,500. Archaeological excavations have revealed two ancient synagogues built one over the other. A house turned into a church by the Byzantines is believed to have been the home of Saint Peter. T...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Calabria - Pizzo

Theme Week Calabria - Pizzo

[caption id="attachment_239742" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Piervincenzo Madeo/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Pizzo (Calabrian: U Pizzu), also called Pizzo Calabro, is a seaport and comune in the province of Vibo Valentia (Calabria, southern Italy), situated on a steep cliff overlooking the Gulf of Saint Euphemia. Fishing is one of the main activities, including that of tuna and coral. The nearest airport is Lamezia Terme International Airport. As with many other places in Calabria, Pizzo claims ancient orig...

[ read more ]

Limassol on Cyprus

Limassol on Cyprus

[caption id="attachment_160804" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Agora Square © Tech bro/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Limassol is the second-largest city in Cyprus. Limassol municipality has a population of 101,000, while the metropolitan area has a population of 184,000. It is the largest city in geographical size, and Limassol municipality is the largest and most populous on the island. The city is located on Akrotiri Bay on the island's southern coast, and it is the capital of Limassol District, which has a populat...

[ read more ]

The barque Europa

The barque Europa

[caption id="attachment_152983" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Figurehead © flickr.com - Jose Luis Cernadas Iglesias[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sailing ship Europa is a steel-hulled barque from in the Netherlands. Originally it was a German lightship, named Senator Brockes and built in 1911 at the H.C. Stülcken & Sohn shipyard in Hamburg. Until 1977, it was in use by the German Federal Coast Guard as a lightship on the river Elbe. In 1985 a Dutchman bought the vessel (or what was left of it), and in 1994 she was fully restore...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Marti Park and City Hall © Wilder Mendez
Theme Week Cuba – Cienfuegos

Cienfuegos, capital of Cienfuegos Province, is a city on the southern coast of Cuba. It is located about 250 km...

The Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco © Dieter Mueller/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Cuba – Trinidad

Trinidad is a town in the province of Sancti Spíritus, central Cuba. Together with the nearby Valle de los Ingenios,...

Chinatown - Arch gateway © chensiyuan/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week San Francisco – Chinatown

The Chinatown centered on Grant Avenue and Stockton Street in San Francisco is the oldest Chinatown in North America and...

Close